Blail Blerg

Call for suggestions: What are you having fun with that we should try??

On 3/24/2020 at 7:14 PM, Blail Blerg said:

I'd like to treat you all to a new sick list I tried. 

Captain Nym (48)

Dorsal Turret (3)

Sol Sixxa (46)
Dorsal Turret (3)

Tansarii Point Veteran (29)
Ion Cannon (6)

Dengar (53)
Jamming Beam (0)
Punishing One (5)
R5 Astromech (4)
Total: 197

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Ion Scyks are sweet (I've been singing their praises for a while), and those Scurrg have a lot of arc coverage for their heft.

I'm inclined to try Autoblasters/Greedo on Dengar instead of the title, but *shrug* all good.

And a bomb seems necessary.  Just one should do, so Nym can hold it as long as he likes.  Seismic seems best, since you can put it between two rocks, and control more space.

1 hour ago, Blail Blerg said:

My next iteration is with bombs. Hoping to try Han falcon too. Dengar is a no no.

Why not a Bounty Hunter with Slave 1?

2 hours ago, Cyptor said:

Why not a Bounty Hunter with Slave 1?

BH at init3 does not get much value from Slave1. (although its pasted on at 1 pt). The majority of its value is its pure flight-plan-stat-line (basically nearly equal to its jousting value). Again, a bulk list. Probably a fine list. 

--

Here's the main point: Yes, right now generics are VERY good. I suspect a lot of games can be won on sheer bulk + firepower + block. But the assumption here is that an ace trades some generic power for higher flexibility and an ability to win games that you cannot win if you mess up the opening engage with bulk list. You also have to control for risk, as the ace is flimsy for its value compared to bulk + more bulk. 

I hope you'll all note: this is a test: I don't know the answer. is an ace worth its value, or are generics and bulk SO aggressively costed that they are 60%+ the better answer? (I'm ok with that lol, makes non-bulk/ace lists a fun challenge).  I recommend you all try it and report here, as I've done to share my learnings with you all. 

Posted (edited)

Also, get too close to Boba Fenn, and you simply just ask: did I make a better build than boba Fenn? 

Whereas: Fenn + bulk is a totally different play style, and has advantages: You have to micromanage the non-Fenn half of the list less (less to think about), it blocks. Its got huge bulk value. I suspect with multiple arcs and the scurrgs ability to take shots, that's it'll be a good list vs boba Fenn as well. 

I'm willing to test it head on vs Boba Fenn too. 

Lok Revenant (45)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Lok Revenant (45)
Dorsal Turret (3)

Cartel Spacer (25)
Ion Cannon (6)

Fenn Rau (68)
Fearless (3)
Total: 200

Edited by Blail Blerg

4 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

BH at init3 does not get much value from Slave1. (although its pasted on at 1 pt). The majority of its value is its pure flight-plan-stat-line (basically nearly equal to its jousting value). Again, a bulk list. Probably a fine list. 

--

Here's the main point: Yes, right now generics are VERY good. I suspect a lot of games can be won on sheer bulk + firepower + block. But the assumption here is that an ace trades some generic power for higher flexibility and an ability to win games that you cannot win if you mess up the opening engage with bulk list. You also have to control for risk, as the ace is flimsy for its value compared to bulk + more bulk

That’s fair. 

I personally have found that bulk works best, but it has to be a bit fun/unusual. Nobody wants to play against boring beef. I also am of the opinion that FFG have specifically tailored HS to make boring bulk the best, so I’m playing extended right now.

Right now I’m really enjoying this Extended list:

-Scarif Base Pilot (58)

•Darth Vader 

•0-0-0

4x TIE bomber with Barrage Rockets (35 each)

It’s a flexible beef list that’s fun and requires decisions. 

42 minutes ago, Cyptor said:

That’s fair. 

I personally have found that bulk works best, but it has to be a bit fun/unusual. Nobody wants to play against boring beef. I also am of the opinion that FFG have specifically tailored HS to make boring bulk the best, so I’m playing extended right now.

Right now I’m really enjoying this Extended list:

-Scarif Base Pilot (58)

•Darth Vader 

•0-0-0

4x TIE bomber with Barrage Rockets (35 each)

It’s a flexible beef list that’s fun and requires decisions. 

Yeah. Though, even in Extended, there's certain beefs that are REALLY good. Like Tier1 good. 

That's a pretty cool list too. How's it flying so far? 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

Yeah. Though, even in Extended, there's certain beefs that are REALLY good. Like Tier1 good. 

That's a pretty cool list too. How's it flying so far? 

Pretty good. It doesn’t have a great endgame, but almost always goes to time with a favorable result. 

The bombers get off the rockets less than you might think, but it doesn’t affect them very much, and they’re really tanky. Usually one dies, the sbp dies, and a bomber goes to half-health, or two and a half bombers die. 

Usually I leave the bombers in a tight 2x2 formation, and flank with Sbp. Vader is really good about pushing damage on, especially with the jam action on sbp. And 000 does his annoying thing. 

I haven’t played against any pure ace lists yet though, like Vader or Soontir, so we’ll see how that goes. 

It also is a horrid matchup vs. Wedge. 

But fun regardless:)

Edited by Cyptor

I tried the next iteration. Han also hit like a wet noodle. No, it didn't help I got blocked by a block of ties, but still, a block of ties, a bit hard to avoid. Your milage may vary: This list is probably better against lower number of ships, like an aces list. It has an uphill time vs FO ties or imp ties / bulk. Nym was simply taken out in 2 turns, for meager damage in return (this lists' damage output is quite low)

Even with Nym and the bombs, I never got off a bomb on my opponent and ended up doing a ton of damage to myself. The list is definitely clumsy, with 2 medium bases and a large base. You're playing 4D tetris while playing 4D chess. No greedo. The scyk can arguably go down to auto blasters, but the 3 die attack at R3 was sometimes useful. 

I think this is a list that wants to just slow roll and joust thru some rocks. 

Captain Nym (48)
Greedo (1)
Bomblet Generator (5)

Sol Sixxa (46)
Seismic Charges (3)

Cartel Spacer (25)
Ion Cannon (6)

Han Solo (54)
Trick Shot (4)
0-0-0 (5)
Lando’s Millennium Falcon (3)

Version 5:

Lok Revenant (45)
Dorsal Turret (3)
Bomblet Generator (5)

Sol Sixxa (46)
Dorsal Turret (3)
Seismic Charges (3)

Cartel Spacer (25)
Ion Cannon (6)

Han Solo (54)
0-0-0 (5)
4-LOM (2)
Lando’s Millennium Falcon (3)

There might be a case for abandoning the ace altogether at this point and making a nasty multi arc, multi bomb list. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Also, get too close to Boba Fenn, and you simply just ask: did I make a better build than boba Fenn? 

Notsomuch, I think. Boba/Fenn is a strong list against anything. If you go different route, you may be looking at a more match up variance, but have better answers to certain other things. Like maybe answers to Boba/Fenn that aren't bid more.

Bounty Hunters are massively good. They don't gain a lot from Slave 1, but it's 1pt, you don't need a bid, so whatever. If it comes up, it's great and it can also help with Systems phase shenanigans at any Init.

Personally not used it on them, for reasons, but still, there's no great argument against it.

2x BH is a real deal. I've run them with 3 Spacers/ 2x PerCo, CC + 1 Outmanouevre Skull in recent months, both absolutely solid lists. Not better than Boba/Fenn, but more than capable of kicking it's teeth in.

1x BH, I've not run in a while, but picking 1 or more from PerCo/0-0-0/CC/S1 gives you a very good ship at very reasonable price.

Edited by Cuz05