Blail Blerg

Call for suggestions: What are you having fun with that we should try??

1 hour ago, gadwag said:

snip

Yes, I threw in Broadside. 

Shh. Seekrit tech. I suspect this is a much better list. 

The first Jedi gets in range safely to Sense. Saesee fixes maneuvers and the rest set up blocks, get around low inits. Broadside just does broadside things. Catches aces. 

I do fear lack of firepower. I suspect this is just a silly Tier3 list but hey, at least you do have tools. 

Jedi Knight (37)
Sense (5)

Saesee Tiin (43)

Jedi Knight (37)

Jedi Knight (37)

"Broadside" (36)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

On 2 Deci's - 

I also tried dropping down to Patrol Leaders. Turns out the named pilots are a hefty 8-11 points or so. Surprise. Except for RAC, they're NOT worth it. Imps have a lot of force carriers, that mitigates the double mods. 

Problems tho are being focus fired (feeling like you need reinforce F & TL) and hitting like a wet noodle. You pay 67 instead of 41 its for the same firepower as an Bwing but a lot more hull. 

Sadly, even adding force carriers doesn't seem to really fix the issues. 2 Patrol Leaders in a list is not a list. Trying to stick a useful ace in there (not Mauler with a jetpack) is expensive. 

Hence, I suspect the Deci can go down past 67, and 3x in a list would not be an issue. The chassis/dial itself is pretty meh. I suspect 64 or 62. The chassis value is basically a 3dieF attack + 16hull 0agility. On a clumsy dial, needing an action to rotate turret, which makes some attacks no focus. Surprise surprise, its not worth 67 pts. 

Patrol Leader (67)

Patrol Leader (67)
Emperor Palpatine (11)

“Duchess” (42)
Fifth Brother (11)
Total: 198

--------------

I haven't tried 1 Deci yet. Bores the snooze outta me. 

12 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

Yes, I threw in Broadside. 

Shh. Seekrit tech. I suspect this is a much better list. 

The first Jedi gets in range safely to Sense. Saesee fixes maneuvers and the rest set up blocks, get around low inits. Broadside just does broadside things. Catches aces. 

I do fear lack of firepower. I suspect this is just a silly Tier3 list but hey, at least you do have tools. 

Jedi Knight (37)
Sense (5)

Saesee Tiin (43)

Jedi Knight (37)

Jedi Knight (37)

"Broadside" (36)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Personally, I'd keep CLT in - that's part of what makes the list fun for me. With the remaining 3pts after adding broadside I'd either give him hull, R4 or EH

7 hours ago, gadwag said:

Personally, I'd keep CLT in - that's part of what makes the list fun for me. With the remaining 3pts after adding broadside I'd either give him hull, R4 or EH

R4 all day. Broadside is the Y who needs it least, but that roll is handy for a safety slide out on approach, or back in, (or fast red move) on the reengage when the enemy moves away from him.

I find it's sometimes easy for him to end up a little isolated, or trapped, without it.

But I only add it if I have literally nothing better to do with the 2pt. Basic 3 bank and 2 hard ftw is mostly fine.

I have come back to report on XBBA with stabilized vs Vonreg QD Upsilon 

Wedge Antilles (55)
R2 Astromech (7)
Hull Upgrade (5)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Blue Squadron Pilot (41)
Fire-Control System (2)
Jamming Beam (0)
Tractor Beam (3)
Stabilized S-Foils (2)

Blue Squadron Pilot (41)
Fire-Control System (2)
Jamming Beam (0)
Autoblasters (3)
Stabilized S-Foils (2)

Jake Farrell (36)
Total: 199

Major Vonreg (57)
Lone Wolf (5)
Deuterium Power Cells (9)

“Quickdraw” (45)
Fanatical (2)
Special Forces Gunner (10)
Shield Upgrade (6)

Major Stridan (61)
Captain Phasma (5)
Jamming Beam (0)

The Bwing title is not doing it for me. I thought it was bad at 2pts. So far 2-3 games with generic Bs have kept that thought squarely. Its definitely not worth it on the I2 and I3. 

The B has a good BR->red F linked action already. Its 8hull1agi though is only a MITE longer lasting than the Xwing. Frankly, I suggest its not even any true difference. (I guess that the difference in survivability for a generic B to a generic X is considerably less than 1 attack.). Adding the BR->redTL doesn't make that much difference. 

The Title alone is not really much use, forcing you to take TLs instead of F and spending that to do a jamming beam. Near worthless. Definitely not worth 2 points alone especially on a lower generic. Possibly better on a named pilot. Also, you can't use that TL for modifying. If you take Autoblasters, the points start to add up... Tractor beam is really situational. You want to take FCS to get mods on the first attack. 

All in the all, you also lose life because of no F. So it changes the B into a super shy ship. The mathematical advantage I surmise is 0 for extra points. 

I would just not take generic Bs too. It doesn't feel that strong nor that tricksy. Blocks aren't easy. 

This list was pretty bad. Only could be better I think with another Bwing. Forget Jake. Just do damage, and suddenly K-turn on things. Joust club. Joust and club. 

\\\\\\\

I think the Bwing I2 should be 40, and the I3 42. 
The title should be 0pts for I1-3, 1pt for I4-6.

\\\\\\

Vonreg's tie is GOOD. Those Duet cells should be stapled to him. Elusive is another good choice. In a later game 1v1 joust, Vonreg bullies you and eats your lunch money. Not your lunch. He takes the cash and puts it in his mouth and chews. 

Stridan was ok here. A bit of initiative was nice. I'm guessing Thanisson was actually better here. 

I ran two lists at the shop this weekend. The fist was a combo of X-Wings and Snapshot A-Wings.

Angels & Phoenix

(48) Thane Kyrell [T-65 X-wing]
(0) Servomotor S-foils
(2) Daredevil

(39) Cavern Angels Zealot [T-65 X-wing]
(0) Servomotor S-foils

(39) Cavern Angels Zealot [T-65 X-wing]
(0) Servomotor S-foils

(29) Phoenix Squadron Pilot [RZ-1 A-wing]
(7) Snap Shot

(29) Phoenix Squadron Pilot [RZ-1 A-wing]
(7) Snap Shot

Total points: 200

The list did great up against a Soontir + I5/4 TIE Fighter mini swarm.  Howlrunner didn’t survive the joust.  I got quite a few Snap Shots in, though the first few failed to connect.  Then I “initiative killed” Scourge with an I1 A-Wing in the activation phase.  Thane flipped a Direct Hit over to kill Soontir.  All in all, I ended up losing one Cavern Angel.

The other list I’ve been playing is Soontir and two TIE Defenders.  It’s fun, but my inexperience with Empire has shown in both games I’ve played.

Fel’s Defenders

(53) Soontir Fel [TIE Interceptor]
(3) Targeting Computer
(2) Daredevil

(67) Delta Squadron Pilot [TIE/D Defender]
(2) Fire-Control System

(67) Delta Squadron Pilot [TIE/D Defender]
(2) Fire-Control System

Total points: 196

In the first game, Soontir got smoked quick and in the second I was up against four StarVipers which, in my experience, eat Defenders using their non-linear flight paths.  This list seems to require a certain amount of aggressiveness with the Defenders and a degree of caution with Soontir that I haven't figured out yet.  It feels fun though.  I’m not sure FCS is useful, but bids don’t need much in my AO.

is there any point to adding more stuff to the death shrimp (Resistance Bomber)? It feels like its chassis doesn't really do enough. Are tragedy sim bombs more effective than the base? I sense Adv Optics to be a good add to a Init1 shrimp. 

Been also trying to fly two, just for fun. 

The side gun is a little limp. Especially if the opponent knows to stay out of R1. 

16 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

is there any point to adding more stuff to the death shrimp (Resistance Bomber)? It feels like its chassis doesn't really do enough. Are tragedy sim bombs more effective than the base? I sense Adv Optics to be a good add to a Init1 shrimp. 

Been also trying to fly two, just for fun. 

The side gun is a little limp. Especially if the opponent knows to stay out of R1. 

Trajsim + Protons is 11 pts. Thats 63 total.

You can get two of those and still have 74 points for, you know, Han, Poe, or maybe Rey, each with 4-9 points for upgrades...

1 hour ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Trajsim + Protons is 11 pts. Thats 63 total.

You can get two of those and still have 74 points for, you know, Han, Poe, or maybe Rey, each with 4-9 points for upgrades...

yea, but is TS protons or seismics actually much better value? the base chassis barely gets its value back with simple attacks. 

On 1/28/2020 at 11:32 PM, Blail Blerg said:

yea, but is TS protons or seismics actually much better value? the base chassis barely gets its value back with simple attacks. 

I think with the i1 TS and Protons is a great tech vs swarms. if you run two, you could just kill any swarm dumb enough to joust you. 

They will die hard vs any other list type so I'm not sure I'd sink 120+ points into two i1.

Well it's unfortunately, very very unfortunately, not hyperspace legal, but I'm having a lot of fun with Grey Squadron Pilots, each with proton bombs, skilled bombardier and dorsal turrets.

With the right positioning there's really nothing it can't kill.

Kaz

Title

Adv Slam

R4

Outmaneuver

Yes, it's expensive at 53 points. It's also really fun and if ignored will do some serious damage. 3 red dice outmaneuver is nothing to sneeze at. It has every speed 1 and 2 manuever as a blue maneuver, and can do crazy stuff like 1-hard, slam another 1-hard, then barrel roll and still shoot. Or 3-bank into a 3-tallon. Or 2-bank right + 2-hard left for a 'drift' maneuver, then focus for a modded shot. 

Is it tournament ready? Ehhhhh, probably not. Is it fun? Definitely.

It's main weakness is I1 ships where it does not get its extra dice. I'm considering trying the same build with Jarek to get 7 points back and still have the same shenanigans.

Edited by Rettere

I played this Kylo + tavson/midnight at LVO and its pretty surprising how far and fast Kylo can go one-shot something:  Kylo/Advanced Optics/Proton Rockets

Also played against this little guy and he almost one-shotted a Rexler:  DBS404 Hyena Bomber, Advanced Proton Torps, Afterburners

Kylo especially is amazingly fast.  I used a shuttle to coordinate barrel roll into Angled boost, then 5 straight into a focus.  Range 2 was able to bullseye a droid/tie fighter.  AO+2 Force+Prockets usually means 4/5 hits/crits.  Popped a couple ships on the day then scooted behind them.  The rest of the squad is anyone's guess after points and TIE/BA.  I'll be tinkering more with Kylo in this config.  And the Droid was played by a friend, he one-shotted many a ship on the day with that Jank.  Is it good?  Dunno, but very surprising and hilarious when it goes off.

Edited by Jyico

2 hours ago, Jyico said:

I played this Kylo + tavson/midnight at LVO and its pretty surprising how far and fast Kylo can go one-shot something:  Kylo/Advanced Optics/Proton Rockets

Also played against this little guy and he almost one-shotted a Rexler:  DBS404 Hyena Bomber, Advanced Proton Torps, Afterburners

Kylo especially is amazingly fast.  I used a shuttle to coordinate barrel roll into Angled boost, then 5 straight into a focus.  Range 2 was able to bullseye a droid/tie fighter.  AO+2 Force+Prockets usually means 4/5 hits/crits.  Popped a couple ships on the day then scooted behind them.  The rest of the squad is anyone's guess after points and TIE/BA.  I'll be tinkering more with Kylo in this config.  And the Droid was played by a friend, he one-shotted many a ship on the day with that Jank.  Is it good?  Dunno, but very surprising and hilarious when it goes off.

I love overwhelming firepower. But pro jets for a vulture.... eh. Kinda want a bigger target. 

I love strapping PT to Kylo. Sadly it takes like 3 PT to really go whaling. 

okay? anyone have some good ace-y or hard hitting lists? I've been in a rut making lists recently that require buying more ships I don't actually want, like more than 2 SFs and fireballs and Awings. 

What are your most brutal firepower lists? 

3 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

okay? anyone have some good ace-y or hard hitting lists? I've been in a rut making lists recently that require buying more ships I don't actually want, like more than 2 SFs and fireballs and Awings. 

What are your most brutal firepower lists? 

Had a fun game with this:

• Luke (R2-D2)
  • Wedge (Predator)
  • ARC Norra (Expert Handling, K-2SO, Veteran Tail Gunner)
  • Bid 3. Tail Gunner didn't need to be there, but I ran out of other ideas, plus I had a set of alt-arts from our local club with T-47 Snowspeeder themed Luke, Wedge and Veteran Tail Gunner (Dak) themed cards, so...

Is it *brutal* firepower?  Hard to say, but it's not bad.  Norra can toss Wedge a calculate, then throw herself into Range 1, where no one wants to attack her.  This will give both Wedge and Luke double-mods.  If Norra is getting ignored, she can keep the calc from K2, and take Locks for double-mods herself, and actually punish folks for leaving her alone.

//

Alternately, bring some Sienar-Jaemus Engineers.  I've been flying them some, and they actually feel really nice.  They can take a punch, and they move so well.  Most folks probably don't have 3, but even two with an ace like QD or Vonreg, plus some filler ship, seems like it's probably solid.  Sure, it's only 7 more points to bring a Fanatical First Order Test Pilot, but if you can't afford to spare that, SJE are ships which have surprised me.  Doesn't seem that often I get a pleasant surprise in X-Wing.

On 1/30/2020 at 10:53 AM, Rettere said:

Is it tournament ready? Ehhhhh, probably not. Is it fun? Definitely.

Guy just went 6-0 at UK SOS with a similar Kaz, bombed out of the cut but then went 5-0 at the worlds qualifier with the same Kaz.

Seems better than it looks on paper.

EDIT: Scratch that, totally different Kaz, but it was still Kaz and he did that well so... maybe?

Edited by ClassicalMoser

6 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Had a fun game with this:

• Luke (R2-D2)
  • Wedge (Predator)
  • ARC Norra (Expert Handling, K-2SO, Veteran Tail Gunner)
  • Bid 3. Tail Gunner didn't need to be there, but I ran out of other ideas, plus I had a set of alt-arts from our local club with T-47 Snowspeeder themed Luke, Wedge and Veteran Tail Gunner (Dak) themed cards, so...

Is it *brutal* firepower?  Hard to say, but it's not bad.  Norra can toss Wedge a calculate, then throw herself into Range 1, where no one wants to attack her.  This will give both Wedge and Luke double-mods.  If Norra is getting ignored, she can keep the calc from K2, and take Locks for double-mods herself, and actually punish folks for leaving her alone.

//

Alternately, bring some Sienar-Jaemus Engineers.  I've been flying them some, and they actually feel really nice.  They can take a punch, and they move so well.  Most folks probably don't have 3, but even two with an ace like QD or Vonreg, plus some filler ship, seems like it's probably solid.  Sure, it's only 7 more points to bring a Fanatical First Order Test Pilot, but if you can't afford to spare that, SJE are ships which have surprised me.  Doesn't seem that often I get a pleasant surprise in X-Wing.

Why do SJEs surprise you? What is pleasant about them? 

Also lol. That Luke Wedge Norra list was the one I was poo-poo-ing. Ironic. 😃 

1 hour ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Guy just went 6-0 at UK SOS with a similar Kaz, bombed out of the cut but then went 5-0 at the worlds qualifier with the same Kaz.

Seems better than it looks on paper.

EDIT: Scratch that, totally different Kaz, but it was still Kaz and he did that well so... maybe?

Kaz is a trap with anything other than Heroic or R5. Don't put points into something that wants to die. 

1 hour ago, Blail Blerg said:

Also lol. That Luke Wedge Norra list was the one I was poo-poo-ing. Ironic. 😃 

All good. :D

I had one fun game with it, figured I'd share it.

1 hour ago, Blail Blerg said:

Why do SJEs surprise you? What is pleasant about them? 

Mostly, I just put them on the table and they felt good.

Ages ago, I saw a list with 3 SJE and Midnight.  I copied part of it, but swapped to Outmanevuer Malarus.  Figure, "OK, it's a silly list, I'll give it a go."  And I loved it.  I've flown them a little bit more, and they just move really well, and can hit hard.  That sort of "heavy blocker" doesn't sound great on paper, but feels really good on table.  They're able to take a punch so you don't get completely screwed by a little bad luck, but the 3 red/3 green means that if you do get lucky, it goes very well.