Blail Blerg

Call for suggestions: What are you having fun with that we should try??

Just now, TasteTheRainbow said:

Not flying it, but I got beat by an awesome list I’m for sure going to try.

Tavson P/A

Longshot

Muse w/squad leader

Rivas

Scorch

The SL Muse/Tavson combo is brutal.

I sense at least 2x Fanatical+Optics.

Muse + Tavson is a strong combo. Not entirely sure SL adds 8pt of value but I can see the attraction. Thing is, you always shoot Muse 1st, even without SL.

Friend of mine runs Sense Rey with Korr and title alongside loaded Nien and The Big Deal. Nien is chock full of semi-broken bull**** and still seems better value than Poe to me. It does come across as hard to fly well, since the only one who doesn't burn fast for the points is Finn, and if you shoot at him 1st, you're already in trouble.

Edited by Cuz05

37 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

Muse + Tavson is a strong combo. Not entirely sure SL adds 8pt of value but I can see the attraction. Thing is, you always shoot Muse 1st, even without SL.

Friend of mine runs Sense Rey with Korr and title alongside loaded Nien and The Big Deal. Nien is chock full of semi-broken bull**** and still seems better value than Poe to me. It does come across as hard to fly well, since the only one who doesn't burn fast for the points is Finn, and if you shoot at him 1st, you're already in trouble.

Muse can stay permanently behind Tavson. It’s more effective than I thought it would be

On 10/7/2019 at 6:40 PM, Wazat said:

If waking up the balancers were that easy we'd all be marching back and forth bashing pots together just to be thorough.  They'd get pretty tired of us fast.  ;)

One of my buddies that flies jedi aces lamented that he's basically trapped with his list design.  He has to have R2 or else he's not competing with the lists that do, but he'd really prefer a different list design and playstyle.  Once he was done with the last tournament he switched to flying Luminara with C1-10P (with Anakin + Ric, and R2 on only one ship) and was having great fun with that list.  Once he figured out how to use her, Luminara started being a real monster, jamming foes and nerfing their attacks regularly.  ^_^  I haven't checked, but I assume he'll have to switch back to his standard R2 list for the upcoming Regional on Saturday (though it'd be awesome if the Luminara version feels good enough to gamble on a Regional; I admire the exploration and trickery).

He's hoping for a nerf to R2 simply so he's got more breathing room for listbuilding without giving up his edge against other rebel/republic lists.  And when people feel trapped into taking an option, I hope for a nerf for the same reason.  I like to see diversity on the table, and that opens up a lot more options for designing and perfecting your use of the list and playstyle you love.

And in more selfish terms, I wouldn't cry too much if run&regen weren't such an automatic and highly effective playstyle.  It's kinda tedious to fight.  A 2+ point increase would be welcome.

I've made it to 10th out of ~60 at an HST recently with Padme and Luminara. I had to chew through two Imp aces lists and a Sinker swarm to get there.

Those two ships are seriously underrated. I also just tried Lumi with C1-10P last night, and I had a lot of fun with her. I made the mistake of keeping both evade charges for the engagement, when I really should've used the first one on the first turn and then the second one in the first round of combat.

She absolutely neutered the offense though.

I'm hoping they hit regen hard for Jedi. Like, without regen, I find 7b Anakin overcosted (I thought his original pricing was spot on). But, with regen, he's undercosted. And, being an avid Republic player, I constantly feel like not having regen puts me at a disadvantage.

Edited by SavouryRain

7 hours ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

Muse can stay permanently behind Tavson. It’s more effective than I thought it would be

Oh I've played against it a fair bit, just not with SL. Muse is massive for Tavson, no argument there. Forcing him to stop, hard 1 and deal with debris in order to get guns on you is standard. Muse means he doesn't even care. SL obviously helps him mod when you refuse to shoot him. That'll make a big difference, if you give him more than one shot.

I've not had a great deal of trouble dealing with it though. It's not entirely possible to keep her safe and in actions behind him, particularly when he needs to stop. Muse will also have to deal with the obstacles you place between you and them, which is hard when Tavson takes up so much room.

I'll generally mitigate Tavsons 1st shot with range and obstructions while dealing with the other half of the squad. Muses shots will be worthless, moreso with SL. Then I'm round the shuttle and Muse is dead. The 1st bit is the tricky part, with Muse making Tavson less predictable.

Where it always gets complicated is if I've been unable to do enough to the rest of the squad before taking Muse and doing the shuttle dance. Tavson is a big chunk to try and earn off if there is still an ace making life difficult.

It looks good with those 3 TIE/fo, a lot to deal with there. I just feel like SL is a bit too expensive for it's impact on Tavson and Muse's actions.

Edited by Cuz05

@Blail Blerg I played version 1 of Rey & Pray twice last night:

Rey (73)    
    Heightened Perception (3)    
    Korr Sella (6)    
    Contraband Cybernetics (3)    
    Rey's Millennium Falcon (5)    
Ship total: 90  Half Points: 45  Threshold: 6    

Logistics Division Pilot (32)    
    Jamming Beam (0)    
    R4 Astromech (2)    
Ship total: 34  Half Points: 17  Threshold: 4    

Poe Dameron (68)    
    Crack Shot (1)    
    R2 Astromech (4)    
    Integrated S-Foils (0)    
    Black One (2)    
    Jamming Beam (0)    
Ship total: 75  Half Points: 38  Threshold: 4    

Total: 199    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Resistance&d=v8ZsZ200Z244X72WW245WWW92WW193Y346XW12WWWW5WY231X116W2WW175WW171W12&sn=Rey %26 Pray 1&obs=

Poe was his regular self, neither wildly disappointing nor particularly exciting.  I think he's just not my style of pilot.  There were a couple of times where I missed having Heroic on him.  I used his shield regen to good effect but didn't like doing it (again, not my style).

The support transport was pretty decent and Rey appreciated those double mods, though I kept wondering how I'd do with Tallissan instead.  I was always given First Player so her init wouldn't matter, but she's mobile and heroic + crack shot is decent, even if her ability is not.  For what it's worth though, that transport was far from dead weight, providing good support and some decent shots.  Surprisingly in that 2nd game, dice luck made sure Poe did almost no damage all game, while the transport did decent damage.   Because, ya know, dice game and all.  ;)  My opponent's two filler Z-95s were impossible to hit because Poe's dice just couldn't overload theirs, shot after shot.

I also put the transport's Jamming Beam to good use, denying Quickdraw her lock without invoking her wrath.  That was fantastic.

The really fun part was Rey.  She did bonkers stuff with her setup, at one point slooping while stressed and rotating her arc for a total of 3 stress, only to try to clear it all next round and bump.  Had she not died that round to a lucky shot, she'd have spent contraband cybernetics to sloop again and mod up.  ^_^  She's high-damage, mobile, good silly fun, and effective.... but she burns down alarmingly fast as the Scavenged YT always does.  That's been my issue with Rey in the past: use her well because you won't have her for more than a few turns.  She's not like (edit: Rebel) Han who can just run through the obstacles all day shooting and mitigating damage down to scratches: her place in life is to explode while shouting wildly into the night.

I consistently failed to use Heightened Perception.  Using that force on dice modification kept sounding better than shooting before an init 6.  I never had a clutch round where shooting first would have mattered (e.g. kill the init 6 before it kills me), so that might have changed things, but at least in these 2 games it was always a bad choice.  I think I'll remove it -- Rey's force is just too valuable and she can't spare a single charge.

The combination of Rey's Falcon title, Korr Sella, and Cybernetics is a really solid build for her; she was greatly liberated by the lower footprint stress had on her life.  The coordination from the transport also helped -- it's fantastic that it can coordinate a rotate or boost even though she's packed to the gills with stress, and on non-stressed turns, she had focus + lock + force for blanks, creating really consistent damage and sometimes defense.  I definitely missed having Finn on Rey, but that would be a tight fit indeed... I'm not sure what's right to remove.  Maybe something like this below, though I know how you feel about not having shield regen on an ace when it's available.  In return, Rey is even more of a flying nuke; she'll be burned down first for sure, but she should do a lot of damage before that happens.

Rey (73)    
    Korr Sella (6)    
    Finn (10)    
    Rey's Millennium Falcon (5)    
Ship total: 97  Half Points: 49  Threshold: 6    

Jamming Beam (0)    
Ship total: 32  Half Points: 16  Threshold: 4    

Poe Dameron (68)    
    Crack Shot (1)    
    Integrated S-Foils (0)    
    Black One (2)    
    Jamming Beam (0)    
Ship total: 71  Half Points: 36  Threshold: 4    

Total: 200    
View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Resistance&d=v8ZsZ200Z244XWW245WW174W92WW193Y346XW12WWWWWY231X116WWW175WW171W12&sn=Rey %26 Pray 1&obs=

Overall I liked this first foray into the fleet, and with practice I think I'd do even better with it.  I can heartily recommend the fleet for you to try.

Edited by Wazat
bah

@Wazat, lol, it is a lot like the build I had mentioned right? Just with a generic transport? 

I was looking over your insights, nice share. Had a thought: what if instead we use Leia crew to mitigate stress? it ALSO adds a 3rd force, which as you say is a valuable commodity. I've seen places where the I7 shot is good for killing an ace list, but I do note, unless Rey actually comes head to head with that I6 ace for a PS kill, its not that useful. I'm still worried Heightened would be very useful for the worst matchups. 

I feel like Han's ability just isn't great. It becomes blank after setup, and that doesn't seem good enough. 

And yes, I agree, these Res-Falcons burn like tissue paper. The next upgrade I wanted to add was Han Solo crew. But then I think you NEED a coordinating transport or pod or something, cuz its so many actions. 

Edit, nvm, can't put Han on there cuz Leia takes up two seats. Maybe on the Korr Sella version. But then you can't evade either when you're stressed. 

Rey (73)
Han Solo (6)
Korr Sella (6)
Rey’s Millennium Falcon (5)

Jamming Beam (0)

Poe Dameron (68)
Heroic (1)
R2 Astromech (4)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Black One (2)
Jamming Beam (0)

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

R2 regen just is probably too good. R5 could be reasonable too. And sounds like Heroic is actually worth more like 2pts and more valuable than Crack. 

Edited by Blail Blerg

5 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

@Wazat, lol, it is a lot like the build I had mentioned right? Just with a generic transport? 

Yup, just the first pass on the fleet we were discussing.  I have another variant that adds an A-Wing instead and I haven't given it a shot yet.

4 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

I was looking over your insights, nice share. Had a thought: what if instead we use Leia crew to mitigate stress? it ALSO adds a 3rd force, which as you say is a valuable commodity. I've seen places where the I7 shot is good for killing an ace list, but I do note, unless Rey actually comes head to head with that I6 ace for a PS kill, its not that useful. I'm still worried Heightened would be very useful for the worst matchups. 

I feel like Han's ability just isn't great. It becomes blank after setup, and that doesn't seem good enough. 

And yes, I agree, these Res-Falcons burn like tissue paper. The next upgrade I wanted to add was Han Solo crew. But then I think you NEED a coordinating transport or pod or something, cuz its so many actions. 

Edit, nvm, can't put Han on there cuz Leia takes up two seats. Maybe on the Korr Sella version. But then you can't evade either when you're stressed. 

Rey (73)
Han Solo (6)
Korr Sella (6)
Rey’s Millennium Falcon (5)

Jamming Beam (0)

Poe Dameron (68)
Heroic (1)
R2 Astromech (4)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Black One (2)
Jamming Beam (0)

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

R2 regen just is probably too good. R5 could be reasonable too. And sounds like Heroic is actually worth more like 2pts and more valuable than Crack. 

I meant Rebel Han when comparing to Rey.  Resistance Han isn't great, just an init 6 with an ability that's often hazardous to employ, and his ship doesn't lend itself well to utilizing that init 6.  Han Crew is interesting, but the Korr version is all about managing and overcoming the scavenged YT's persistent struggles with stress, and I don't feel he's a great fit.  You'll be stressed on most of the turns you'd want to evade anyway, and with Rey, I'd rather get a lock.

I like the idea of Leia.  You might consider moving Leia onto the transport, both to free up room and distribute points off of Rey, and to give opponents incentive to target that transport and let Rey live a bit longer to do her work.  But that 3rd force on Rey is really tempting too.

I'd say Heroic might be worth its weight in crack, but it's harder to say whether Crack Shot is better.  Ba-dum-tss.  ;)  Crack Shot gives him a round of solid punch that could shunt an enemy damage source off the table early, while Heroic helps a ton with his defense rolls and occasionally on attacks.  It's a longer burn, and IMO it's a good pairing with regen because double-blanks are pretty common on 2 defense dice.  (And good lord, Poe could not roll attacks to save his life last game -- he literally almost died of it.  But that's just dice variance being its god-forsaken self, hah.)

I think I'd like to give the Rey-Finn combo a try and see how I like it.  It probably won't be solid meta, but I enjoy the more casual stuff anyway.  I'm also still planning to try the Ketsu + Latts Hound + Generic Hound combo above at some point.

I flew HanUU last night against Hera(VCX)/Wedge/Miranda.  Miranda was light - just Proxies - and Wedge had a droid and Ion Torps.  Hera had Nien/Dorsal/VTG and something more?  One Blue Scout had Leia and the other was naked.  Han was a little heavy - title/EU/Trick Shot/Chewie/Lando.  It was my first time facing a VCX in 2.0, and my first time EVER destroying one - which is to say that I won the game 200-92, losing only the two Scouts.  Rebel Han is pretty dang easy to fly - punchy and tanky and maneuverable.  Although that does accurately describe Hera as well, ha ha.  I wonder about a list employing both of them.  Yikes.  But yeah, after spending a few weeks flying interceptor-types and drones, flying something that can't be one-shot was extraordinarily pleasant.  I can see why hardcore Rebel players do it.

Details.  I focused Wedge down right **** quick, then turned to Miranda - who suffered an early Damaged Engine crit to make her much less unpredictable.  My reasoning was that I could afford to simply chase down that VCX at my leisure; it's a brick.  But Hera with Nien riding co-pilot is squirrelly as all get-out.  The naked blocker U-Wing died relatively quickly - Wedge plus VCX primary plus Dorsal double-tap is BRUTAL.  The Leia went next, but not before helping take out Wedge and Miranda.  Han only lost three shields.  Which means I never triggered Chewie.  I also didn't get a lot use out of Lando, as most of the time it was more effective to boost out of arc.  There was never any doubt about when it was time to use Han's reroll ability - either my rolls were hot, or they were hot garbage.  I think Trick Shot triggered twice?

So I might consider slimming Han down a bit to buff up the U-Wings.  Drop Trick and Chewie and Lando to bring a Scout up to Magva and the other up to...I don't know?  Or do I just go flapjacks and run Han in one YV and Lando in the other?  At any rate, it was very, very nice to fly something completely different from my regular.  And I will now NOT be dropping to just two factions.