heychadwick

New Organized Play - Open Format - CASUAL

Posted (edited)

swz01_op_feature.jpg

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/3/29/x-wing-seasonal-play/

New article about FFG Open Play for X-wing!  I didn't see this mentioned on the forums at all, so I thought I would start a discussion as I almost missed this.

Now that the System Open Series and Hyperspace Trials are both in full swing, there's more than enough X-Wing™tournament action to satisfy even the most competitive squadron leaders… So what about all of us who are just looking for a place to enjoy some fun, casual games?

Maybe you want to fly through a scenario you created in the squad builder's custom game mode, or maybe you just want to test a new squadron. Maybe you and your friends want to enjoy a "furball" match, each bringing a single ship outfitted to a set number of points. Or maybe you want to teach a newer player with some Quick Build cards. None of these options are tournament-based, so what does X-Wing Organized Play offer you?

The answer—now—is quite a lot.

Starting with the 2019 Season One Kit, X-Wing Seasonal Kits are designed for Open Play. What does that mean? It means you just need to do two things:

1. Show up at your favorite local game store.
  2. Play X-Wing.

In return, you can earn some cool, extended-art cards that you can use to decorate your favorite squadrons.

g19xx_prizetracker_ffg.jpg

Edited by heychadwick

As someone who almost never goes to tournaments, I really like this a lot.  I like to get the cool swag without having to head to a tournament and do all that.  I am pretty happy to hear this.  I wish they would actually offer some sort of organized play missions or campaign or something, but that might not come until Epic 2.0 comes out.  Epic is supposed to be the new home for missions, scenarios, campaigns, etc..   There could be some pretty cool stuff coming out.  When I heard there was an "Assault at Imdar whatever" I first thought it was going to be some really cool event, but it was just a tournament.  Perhaps we will see some neat stuff come out of this?

Luckily for me, my lgs already implemented this system. We have a "Play for Prizes" system where we can earn points for the games we play in the store (as long as they are timed matches) and then redeem those points for swag. We don't ever organize the official events for some of FFG's prize kits. 

3 minutes ago, gamblertuba said:

Honestly, this has me most excited for Epic.  If the entire organization including OP is going to embrace playing for fun as a valid alternative to competitive tournaments, that's fantastic news.

I agree!  They made some big talk early on that could mean almost nothing, but had the potential to do some really cool stuff.  @Babaganoosh was all Doubting Thomas and didn't think much would come of it.  I hope he's wrong and they do some really cool events!   I can think of them doing a campaign pack, but maybe doing some sort of online campaign with it like GW did in the summers.  

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, gamblertuba said:

Honestly, this has me most excited for Epic.  If the entire organization including OP is going to embrace playing for fun as a valid alternative to competitive tournaments, that's fantastic news.

Couldn't agree more.  I'm not sure how much more this will drive me out to a FLGS, but I'm very, very glad to see the ethos of the game changing.

Edited by Darth Meanie

9 hours ago, heychadwick said:

I want the Scimitar Bomber.

I need it, and I need more copies than I can earn. Way back, in the days of 1e, I had a reputation for running 4x Bombers. I had four of the movie still alt art Scimitars to add to the odd sight of them on a table. A tradition must be maintained. I need six of these...

Between this and the squadron packs, we're going from a world where most people only had one copy of Afterburners, to one where things will be travelling much much faster!

I'm looking forward to this coming out. My FLGS has well attended X-wing game nights, so getting cards for participation will be nice. I wonder if they'll add special tokens as a reward in future? Acrylic strain, perhaps, as from what I've seen you only likely need one or two of them at most during normal play.

On 3/30/2019 at 10:21 PM, NakedDex said:

I need it, and I need more copies than I can earn. Way back, in the days of 1e, I had a reputation for running 4x Bombers. I had four of the movie still alt art Scimitars to add to the odd sight of them on a table. A tradition must be maintained. I need six of these...

I used to run 4 x Bombers even before the fixes came out for them.   I ran 3 Scimitars with Jonus and came in 3rd place at a store championship!

There are horror stories about my exploits with Bombers either side of the fix. Post fix, a slightly modified version of the list scored me my quickest win ever. 2x Scimitars and 2x Gamma Vets vs Ryad, Vessery, and a Delta back when Defenders got free evade tokens for moving. Game over on turn two, Ryad and Vessery destroyed for the low cost of 3 hull on my side. It ended so quickly, some of the other games that day were still setting up. It's still a record in that store.

I do have a question that maybe is in wrong thread, but would a player, like me, that travels to different states be able to do this and if so, how would I go about getting the signatures or what is required to do this.  

(PS: Love the show Chadwick and a shout out to Biff, who was a fantastic GM when I visited his area last month!)

3 hours ago, RandyB1968 said:

I do have a question that maybe is in wrong thread, but would a player, like me, that travels to different states be able to do this and if so, how would I go about getting the signatures or what is required to do this.  

(PS: Love the show Chadwick and a shout out to Biff, who was a fantastic GM when I visited his area last month!)

Hmmm....I would say it depends.  Do you go to the same stores when you travel? If not, then no. :(  

Unless you find a local game store that is kind.  

Also, thanks for the kind words! Biff is a top notch kind if guy.  I'm happy he puts up with me.  :)

8 hours ago, RandyB1968 said:

I'm sure there will be some events, such as mine, that will just use this as tourney prizes too since our events are casual-competitive for the most part. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/9/2019 at 12:51 PM, RandyB1968 said:

It was great to have both Jimmy and you join our Flight Group Alpha squadron.  You both fit in well with our wacky ways and did far better than I tend to in the missions.  I'm hoping you will have another opportunity to hang with us in the future.

Edited by Biff