Zrob314

TCW How many core sets?

7 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

Things are changing... depending on the new imperial releases, I could see recommending that prequel-curious gamers only buy one of each core set.

why is that?  if you were going to play the game, you'd need at least 2 core to fill out a beginning list/army and its still a better buy than trying to buy each piece separately.

as for me, I'll probably buy one for the commanders and sell off the rest. I really have no interest in playing either faction but welcome having more than 2 factions.  I can't wait for the Mercenary/Outer Rim alien faction

1 hour ago, buckero0 said:

why is that?  if you were going to play the game, you'd need at least 2 core to fill out a beginning list/army and its still a better buy than trying to buy each piece separately.

You don't need that though to play the game.

The multiple cores was sorta predicated on the idea that 1) you needed two sets of dice anyway and 2) you'd probably end up buying more stormtroopers to make your imperial army since snowtroopers don't "match".

But assuming you wanted all 4 factions, you could be fine with one of each core set. Then you could buy Fleet Troopers, Chewbacca, and a T-47 (for example) you could make a fun and varied "collection" and less of a "list" for GCW and by the time you've painted it all plus your CW starter, CW would presumably have enough stuff to do something similar.

2 of each core set is still an amazing value for the cash-strapped gamer. But without the $$$ of the extra dice and stuff, and with better selection of not-core-set toys to buy, the utility value of 2 of each cores becomes more questionable. Still good just. Less good.

And this assume you want to play 3 or more factions. If you only want one era, 2 duplicate core sets is still king.

It occurs to me that I never put my two cents in in the topic.

Because no one in my area as far as I'm aware wants to play clones, I'm just going with the one core as I don't need any of the extra stuff that is in the core set. Because of that, it is cheaper to just by the individual packs afterwards for me.

On 3/30/2019 at 1:48 AM, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Ah.. with a very meager budget, and the hope that in a years time we get a sequel core set, it will only be one that I purchase.  Though that Grievious makes it VERY tempting to get another.  

Having a meager budget is a reason to get more than one, not restrict yourself to only one. Buying additional Core Sets instead of individual expansions is always cheaper.

3 hours ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

Curious about why I would buy more than one CW starter, since I don't need more dice etc., and buying 2x boxes of Phase I clones and B1 droid expansions would = $100 that a 2nd core set would cost?

You also get a BARC Speeder and Droidekas.

Just 1 for me I think.  I had wondered if with my trade-in funding I could buy a single Clone War core set and then trade the droids for another set of clones.  Is this something that is easy to achieve given any cards and/or tokens that need to be split for the factions?  But then I'd be missing doubles of anything like dice etc.

It's a shame that buying Death Troopers wouldn't help the CW core set one bit ...!

4 hours ago, infyrana said:

Just 1 for me I think.  I had wondered if with my trade-in funding I could buy a single Clone War core set and then trade the droids for another set of clones.  Is this something that is easy to achieve given any cards and/or tokens that need to be split for the factions?  But then I'd be missing doubles of anything like dice etc.

It's a shame that buying Death Troopers wouldn't help the CW core set one bit ...!

If someone else also has a core set and is only going to play droids then you could swap all your droid stuff for their clone stuff. It shouldn’t be hard since all your swapping is the minis, unit cards, order tokens and any unit specific upgrade cards. If they already have a core set then they’re gonna already have the rest

The more I consider it, the more I think I will only get one. If I didn't already have 2 GCW cores, I would definitely get 2. However, I don't think I will want more than 2 Phase 1 clone trooper units as more corps units get released. I think I will start with 1 and see what gets released shortly after before committing to a second. I attend very few tournaments, so I can proxy until more stuff is released.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

Having a meager budget is a reason to get more than one, not restrict yourself to only one. Buying additional Core Sets instead of individual expansions is always cheaper.

This is true. The broker you are the more core sets you actually should buy. It's about value not price. But the value can swing rapidly if you are planning on playing both eras, then one of each core set plus a 3rd not-core-corps for each army and a few operatives with high points-to-dollars-ratio becomes more understandable. It'll cost slightly more for a lot less plastic, but it's arguably more fun. After all you've already got the 2nd set of dice, rulers, and barricades which is part of the valuation calculation.

Though for GCW this is still assuming a new imperial corps comes out that "matches" the core set, or that the buyer doesn't mind mixing snowtroops and regular.

Edited by TauntaunScout

so i was trying to figure out what would be best, for each core box you get per side 1 commander, 2 corps units, 1 support unit. the most units for corps is 6 and 3 for support. so 3 core boxes will give you a full army easily for the cheapest price. then i remember they always have upgrade cards that arn't in the core box. so i'm think 2 core, 2 of each corps upgrade and then when ever the support gets release i might do 1 for each. it comes out to about 50 dollars more but i get more cards that aren't in the core boxes.

On 4/1/2019 at 3:57 PM, thepopemobile100 said:

It occurs to me that I never put my two cents in in the topic.

Because no one in my area as far as I'm aware wants to play clones, I'm just going with the one core as I don't need any of the extra stuff that is in the core set. Because of that, it is cheaper to just by the individual packs afterwards for me.

Well, if you plan on purchasing one of each of the duplicated units in order to get a minimum size legal force, you'll end up spending around $100 on the extra BARC, Droidekas, Clones, and B1s, so a second core is still cheaper, since you'll be spending the same amount of money but getting 2 B1s, 2 Clones, 1 BARC, 1 Droideka unit, and spares of the commanders. The "unique" cards in the standalone boxes may be duplicated in the second Corps option, like it was for the Empire and Rebels. 

15 minutes ago, DarkTrooperZero said:

Don't think you need to go out hard and buy 6 corps straight off the bat considering like rebels and imperial there will most likely be different troops down the line.

Also it's likely Heavy units will be released alongside the new Core box, giving another way to fill up the points while waiting for the second and third Corps option. 

18 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Well, if you plan on purchasing one of each of the duplicated units in order to get a minimum size legal force, you'll end up spending around $100 on the extra BARC, Droidekas, Clones, and B1s, so a second core is still cheaper, since you'll be spending the same amount of money but getting 2 B1s, 2 Clones, 1 BARC, 1 Droideka unit, and spares of the commanders. The "unique" cards in the standalone boxes may be duplicated in the second Corps option, like it was for the Empire and Rebels

If I was planning on building both armies up, then I absolutely would. I don't plan to however, so I won't.

1 minute ago, thepopemobile100 said:

If I was planning on building both armies up, then I absolutely would. I don't plan to however, so I won't.

So what's the purpose of buying the individual packs of units in the core set then (unless I misunderstood your initial post)? Just for the cards? 

Personally I am considering switching from Rebels to either GAR or CIS, which makes 2 cores a cheaper option for getting the minimum 3 Corps unit initially and filling out points. Spares of various tools and battlefield cards is kind of a benefit. 

1 minute ago, Caimheul1313 said:

So what's the purpose of buying the individual packs of units in the core set then (unless I misunderstood your initial post)? Just for the cards? 

Personally I am considering switching from Rebels to either GAR or CIS, which makes 2 cores a cheaper option for getting the minimum 3 Corps unit initially and filling out points. Spares of various tools and battlefield cards is kind of a benefit. 

Because I don't need anything else from the core set beyond one factions units, it's more expensive for me to a core than 2 $25 corp units and a $30ish support than one $100 set. The extra tools and the like are nice, but I already have 3 sets of them as is.

To clarify, I plan to switch to CIS when they launch. I don't need the GAR stuff.

4 minutes ago, thepopemobile100 said:

Because I don't need anything else from the core set beyond one factions units, it's more expensive for me to a core than 2 $25 corp units and a $30ish support than one $100 set. The extra tools and the like are nice, but I already have 3 sets of them as is.

To clarify, I plan to switch to CIS when they launch. I don't need the GAR stuff.

Ah, I misunderstood. Yeah, unlike when none of us had dice, getting two Core sets made sense for even situations like yours, since those three boxes + extra dice is very close to the price of a second core. 

2 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

NOOOO! Remember the landspeeder model! You need your rebels!

Just wait till Black Friday to buy $50ish core CW set(s) if it's a concern.

Just now, TauntaunScout said:

NOOOO! Remember the landspeeder model! You need your rebels!

Just wait till Black Friday to buy $50ish core CW set(s) if it's a concern.

I never said I wasn't buying the landspeeder, tauntaun, hoth veterans, or the Empire equivalents. I'm still getting one of everything, just shifting focus on building/painting for play. 

Plus, once stuff starts getting more esoteric and FFG original for the various factions, I'll just be picking up the more interesting models and working through the backlog of "canon" stuff.