Zrob314

TCW How many core sets?

6 hours ago, CaptainRocket said:

I was gonna do 2 then, I was like, naw I have rulers and dice, so just buy 1 and lots of expansions, but then I was like, wait multiple Grevious poses, and now I dunno...

Well, if 2 cores cost less than 1+ the B1/phase 1 clones expansions you need... and you can do four-armed grievous plus cloaked grievous....

14 minutes ago, Jabby said:

I’m on a serious budget, as much as I want to buy 2 core sets I’ll only be able to get one.

Honestly it's probably cheaper to do two cores or a core split than getting the separate expansions needed for 800.

40 minutes ago, aniron said:

Honestly it's probably cheaper to do two cores or a core split than getting the separate expansions needed for 800.

Definitely, yes. But I would prefer to slowly build up my collection. I’ll probably mix the teams republic + empire vs rebels + seps for some games

Edited by Jabby

7 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

The actual buying of many, many core sets is quite sane.

Buying a single prequel thing is crazy to me but I bought seven GCW core sets iirc so who am I to say anything.

That's an old marketing trick of GW's. I won't fall for it. You can't see that detail at tabletop distance.

Yes you can? Unless your eyesight is awful.

Also, having nice looking models is important to some of us. I spend a lot of time painting my models, and painting nicel detailed models is something i enjoy more than painting poorly detailed models.

8 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

The actual buying of many, many core sets is quite sane.

Buying a single prequel thing is crazy to me but I bought seven GCW core sets iirc so who am I to say anything.

That's an old marketing trick of GW's. I won't fall for it. You can't see that detail at tabletop distance.

Seven? Seven core set? Did you sell a kidney or something?

I intend to 'main' Republic and Separatists, probably two. 

As an added bonus I can play around with differently posed Grievous', although I suspect that was a deliberate incentive on FFG's part. .

Edited by Arbitrator

2 hours ago, Jake the Hutt said:

Yes you can? Unless your eyesight is awful.

Also, having nice looking models is important to some of us. I spend a lot of time painting my models, and painting nicel detailed models is something i enjoy more than painting poorly detailed models.

Somewhere above Chronopia and below current 40k I draw the line. If no amount of detail is enough you’ll never be happy. 

You don’t think Legion models are nice looking?

Edited by TauntaunScout

I'll probably pick up two again so I have enough of either faction to run an army by only picking up singles of future releases. 

Might go GAR since clone army honestly allows for some of the most customization in this game, and I have a habit in Bolt Action  of squeezing a surprising number of activations out of elite armies... Bit I do also like running hordes, and the droids promise to be quick to paint...

I am currently telling myself no because of costs and having some Rebel and almost all Imperial (just missing the Krennic/DT release).

That said.... if I were to go in, it’d be nice and slow... I realize I wouldn’t get to 800 points right away, but that’s fine because I have other legal armies to play.

I’m pretty excited for clones, but I can’t quite justify it with how much I play and what all I have.

I'm looking at one, and only one.  No real interest in building a CIS army at this point, and I'm not a huge fan of speeder bikes (be they 74-Zs or BARCs) so buying a core set and 4 Clone Trooper expansions are cheaper than 3 Cores.  Really curious as to what the Republic's first heavy support option will be. 

15 hours ago, Zrob314 said:

I mean unless the announce some cards that you can only get in the BARC or Droideka solo packs I'm not sure what reason there is to wait for them.

They did this for the original core set expansions, why would you believe these will be different?

3 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

You don’t think Legion models are nice looking?

They're okay. They look good at tabletop distance. When assembling and painting, they're of noticeably lesser quality (at a larger scale!) than minis for comparable games.

31 minutes ago, Turan said:

They did this for the original core set expansions, why would you believe these will be different?

I had considered that, but in the aftermath I have so many impact grenades.

I think I'll be fine. 

19 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

Buy one, paint one. Buy one, paint one. Repeat as desired. The painting time let's me cool off and decide if I actually want more of the product or not. I've gorged myself on way too many things in the past.

I’m getting one and giving all the droids to a friend who is giving me his clones. I picked the clones since they have fewer models to paint. 

3 hours ago, Boomer_J said:

The way I read it, there are 3 or 4 poses for Grievous but you can only build one per Core set. Is this correct?

There are three poses, but you can only build one per core.

7 minutes ago, Zrob314 said:

4 if you take a hot knife to some of the arms. 

I'm at 6 without modifying any of the original plastic.

4 lightsabers out.

2 lightsabers out on one side with his pistol on the other.

2 lightsabers out with the cape on.

2 lightsabers out without the cape.

1 lightsaber and his pistol out with the cape on.

1 lightsaber and his pistol out without the cape.

This is assuming that he can only hold the pistol in his right hand with the two arms are together, which I could easily be wrong about.