Zrob314

TCW How many core sets?

Posted (edited)

So, I'm thinking three core sets.
Because you'd spend the same amount to get 2 core sets and two extras of each faction's corps units. Add to that BARCs and Dorideka aren't coming out for a bit after the launch and there's only one commander choice it's going to be hard to put 800 points on the table at first.  
So you get 6 each of the corps, 3 each of the support, you can do three different versions of Greivous for whatever mood you're in (including one where his arms have already been chopped off) and you have all the dice and tools you'll ever need for the rest of your life.  

And I guess if you're a good painter you can give gifts of Obi-Wan miniatures to friends. 
Oh and I can build a house 5 core sets worth of barricades that I never use. (though I now have an idea to use leftover BD-1 parts to make dead droids against barricades)

I mean unless the announce some cards that you can only get in the BARC or Droideka solo packs I'm not sure what reason there is to wait for them.

Edited by Zrob314

1 hour ago, Zrob314 said:

So, I'm thinking three core sets.
Because you'd spend the same amount to get 2 core sets and two extras of each faction's corps units. Add to that BARCs and Dorideka aren't coming out for a bit after the launch and there's only one commander choice it's going to be hard to put 800 points on the table at first.  
So you get 6 each of the corps, 3 each of the support, you can do three different versions of Greivous for whatever mood you're in (including one where his arms have already been chopped off) and you have all the dice and tools you'll ever need for the rest of your life.  

And I guess if you're a good painter you can give gifts of Obi-Wan miniatures to friends. 
Oh and I can build a house 5 core sets worth of barricades that I never use. (though I now have an idea to use leftover BD-1 parts to make dead droids against barricades)

I mean unless the announce some cards that you can only get in the BARC or Droideka solo packs I'm not sure what reason there is to wait for them.

This is insane to me.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Tirion said:

This is insane to me.

Umm, I was thinking the exact same thing as zrob! In fact, I’m pretty sure I have a draft of his post rattling around in my head still, so thanks for typing it so I didn’t have to!! 😀 I’m planning on 3 core sets so I can flood the board with Droids. 🤓

Edited by rasmussen81
Wording

3 minutes ago, thepopemobile100 said:

I would imagine the extra 6 models is fair for the cost hike.

Plus, the new plastic and molding detail. I wonder if they change the original core set to match this one, the price will also match.

7 minutes ago, Tirion said:

This is insane to me.

The actual buying of many, many core sets is quite sane.

Buying a single prequel thing is crazy to me but I bought seven GCW core sets iirc so who am I to say anything.

18 minutes ago, rasmussen81 said:

Plus, the new plastic and molding detail.

That's an old marketing trick of GW's. I won't fall for it. You can't see that detail at tabletop distance.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

That's an old marketing trick of GW's. I won't fall for it. You can't see that detail at tabletop distance.

I prefer painting more detailed figures. 

50 minutes ago, chr335 said:

The real question is why the clone wars starter is 10 dollars more then the original

More models.  So far the unit packs are same price as current packs.  

1 hour ago, Tirion said:

This is insane to me.

For what particular reason?

Edited by Zrob314

25 minutes ago, sirfrancisdubois said:

I'll probably split two with a player who's only collecting clones.

That was what i was thinking to collect those sweet sweet clones

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, chr335 said:

The real question is why the clone wars starter is 10 dollars more then the original

I assumed the original core was simply incredibly undercosted and this is just an attempt to right size. It is still a better deal to get multiple cores, though, even with the increased cost.

As for the original question, I’ll be getting two just like the GCW core and none of the single expansions that are also in the core.  If I’m slightly short 800 points initially, new releases will come out quickly enough to get to 800 shortly after release.

Edited by Darth 2Face

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Zrob314 said:

I prefer painting more detailed figures. 

There's a point of diminishing returns on anything. I would pay more, to get models that had better detail and posing than Warzone/Chronopia. But at some point the detail hits a satisfactory level above which I'm not willing to pay for more of it. I might enjoy it, but I won't pay more money for it if the previous level was acceptable. Plus at some point you're competing with the cheaper (non-licensed) historical models for my money. Some of which have about all the possible detail for their subject matter and scale.

Edited by TauntaunScout

Just now, TauntaunScout said:

There's a point of diminishing returns on anything. I would pay more, to get models that had better detail and posing than Warzone/Chronopia. But at some point the detail hits a satisfactory level above which I'm not willing to pay for more of it. I might enjoy it, but I won't pay more money for it. If the previous level was acceptable. Plus at some point you're competing with the cheaper (non-licensed) historical models for my money.

K.

I still prefer painting more detailed miniatures.  

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Zrob314 said:

K.

I still prefer painting more detailed miniatures.  

Have you tried 54mm? That stuff's crazy. I started going to IPMS events. It was like... don't bring your guns to town, son. That stuff made White Dwarf photos look like crafts from summer camp.

Edited by TauntaunScout

Just now, TauntaunScout said:

Have you tried 54mm? That stuff's crazy. I started going to IPMC events. It was like... don't bring your guns to town, son. That stuff made White Dwarf photos look like crafts from summer camp.

Currently Cuthulu miniatures and Star Wars miniatures are what tickle all my personal fancies.  I play this game because I love star wars IP, I got into painting IA to make the game prettier, found out I was good at it and then they made this. 

If legion didn't exist I wouldn't be playing an infantry war game....I'd still just be the worst Armada layer in history.  

15 minutes ago, Zrob314 said:

For what particular reason?

Cause you don't need that many core sets.... There will be more core units and such and while you will use them initially within a couple months there will be more types of those units and those droids will sit there, not all of them obviously

3 minutes ago, Tirion said:

Cause you don't need that many core sets.... There will be more core units and such and while you will use them initially within a couple months there will be more types of those units and those droids will sit there, not all of them obviously

So to field an 800 point army you'll need at least two cores, possibly more.  
This gives me more flexibility while doing that.

I can also sell a painted one down the road when I've fleshed my collection out more.