Da_Brown_Bomber

Scum players. How are you feeling about of the state of the game?

Posted (edited)

Scum players. How are you feeling about of the state of the game?

nothing new is coming anytime soon.

time to jump to another faction? depends if you have a stockpile of 1.0 ships. if you do then sure, why not dust them off and see what life is like as a rebel player or imperial player.

What if scum is all you have tho? You can still play in extended and still play in hyperspace. You have options but do you have the ships? I think ur set of you have fire spray, 2 fang fighters, a star viper and the scum falcon. In hyperspace that is not bad. Add a single mining guild tie and uv got some ok options... just not many new ones that scum didn't already have.

What about scum in Extended. You have more options but some of them are a little expensive. 4-LOM and Palob are still really good. Just not AS good as they were compared to the extended field. Scum bombers are beefy and Drea is no slouch either so yes you have some solid, if unspectacular options. I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to get a feel for the current state for life as a scum player.

Heres what I think...

Scum is still good and it needs to find a new niche in the competitive meta. quad phantoms and still one of the top squads out there, 4 ship rebels and 3 ship resistance squads are everywhere and doing rather well. Imperial aces hasn't gone anywhere, despite quasi nerfs to redline its got probably the best toolbox of any faction to reform into any number of high initiative kick *** squads with soontir and imperial swarms are still a thing and as powerful as ever. First order is similar, but has less tools but equally as powerful aces (and crew) to hold its own in any large event. Republic and Separatists are the new kids on the block and considering how few ship types each has has are kind of already good out of the gates (Separatists seem to have been more consistent compared to Republic in the games iv seen online) but its early days and surely a Jedi themed squad is going to emerge as a staple in competitive events once players master how to win with them.

Interested to hear what other scum players are feeling right now. U staying or going? Jumping ship to a new faction? Has the Republic or Separatists lured you in or no?

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

I’m staying with Scum for now, but I do play multiple factions. I think Scum are fine tbh. The try-Harders all go for the meta hotness so of course it’s dominated by tie swarms, Phantoms, Resistance Aces and so forth. As soon as a Scum list wins a major event all the ‘top’ players will come flooding back and they’ll become popular again. Remember when triple jumpmasters were a thing and no one played Rebels? These things go in cycles.

Just my tuppence.

I think they could use a more in-depth balancing pass. I've said elsewhere, but the Jumpmaster needs a top-to-bottom tune-up. It's way too expensive and has very limited upgrades for a ship that becomes stressed if you look at it wrong. They can't rework the dial or the action bar, so better points and upgrade bars are all they can look forward to.

Boba and Fenn are probably a touch overpriced at the moment compared to the aces of other factions. They over-corrected by increasing the cost of Boba when they killed the Marauder Han combo.

I'd still love to see the three titled IG-2000s on the table. I don't think they'd be too strong.

I mean let’s look at 4lom. And let’s compare him to an upgrade that is most similar to part of his ability, R4-P44.

You are paying basically 8 points for his ability, and to move from I1-I3. The B-wing pays 2 points for the same move in a generic chassis.

Which means you are paying ~6 points for his ability. When you fully execute a red maneuver gain a calculate token.

R4-P44 is 5 points for after fully executing a red maneuver if there is a ship in your bullseye arc gain a calculate. 5 points and the invaluable droid slot for a worse ability.

4lom pays ~6 for an ability that is objectively better, and only half of his ability. 

The top scum ships are still amazing. They just can’t all be amazing in one single list anymore. Not without compromise. People got a little too attached to how good they were, and rejoicing in the HWK and Boba being the best ships in game.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

So, what r some scum squads ur seeing, liking and or playing? 

Right now, @Oldpara is playing Talonbane, Ketsu and Old Teroch at Adepticon e:and against Quad Phantoms! There's literally no better extended list atm, and he will win 200-something. And as he's on stream in round 5, I guess he's doing rather well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_j7Vuy5rCE

Now, how many people have tried Talonbane and Ketsu?! To get straight to the point: I strongly suspect that there are many unexplored options for Scum. And I guess that the effect is stronger for Scum-exclusive players as they had a harder time making the transition to the more maneuver-focused and less card-combo game that is 2.0 because they had very strong card combos that routinely added up to 230 points after the first adjustment.

Edited by GreenDragoon

I feel lik Scumbare in a good spot.  They have a good variety of ships.  Hyperspace has opened up some new and exciting options.  And there’s a lot of versatility and flavor within the faction.  

FangFighters make excellent interceptors, if a bit pricey.  But they’re fun to fly, and Fenn Rau is still a beast.

Z-95s are still good little filler ships, and the Mining Guild Tie fills in the other swarm ship archetype quite nicely.  

Firesprays are pretty beefy now, and no longer a complete pushover.  

And Starvipers... Ooooooohhh  boy... where to start?  Starvipers have really come into their own this edition.  They perfectly capture the essence of a MandalMotors ship commissioned by a crime syndicate megolomaniac who gave them a blank paycheck and said “give me something phat!”  They can be nigh unpredictable, squirrely as all ****, and brutally maneuverable.  Their cost feels just right to me, as well.  Guri is of course a monster now, being one of Scum’s best ace pilots.  Xizor is... Xizor...  He’s still flavorful and best in a swarm of expendables.  Dalan is a lot of fun with Daredevil.  And the generics are just cheap enough if kept as a juiced up snub fighter.  

Scum is still my favorite faction, but I haven't been using it since the start of 2e. It's in a very sad state. Hyperspace especially.

1. Completely uninterested newer ships, Scum Falcon and Mining TIE
  2. Fenn Rau too expensive relative to other aces (Poe and Fenn Rau =68points) needs -3 points
  3. It's so frustrating that Rebel Z-95 are 23 and Scum Z-95 are 24 points :(
  4. Starvipers in hyperspace is good, but only 1-pilot useable
  5. No good co-ordinate ship. (the stupid little shuttle sucks compared to U-wing)
  6. No force users
  7. X-wings > Kihraxz (because access to boost action)
  8. Illicit upgrades suck (inertial dampeners is unusable, even at 0 points)
  9. Jumpmaster perma-nerfed
  10. Lancer perma-nerfed
  11. YV-666, all pilots still too expensive. Poor crew choices
  12. They have ONE good squad option. Drea swarm

21 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Right now, @Oldpara is playing Talonbane, Ketsu and Old Teroch at Adepticon e:and against Quad Phantoms! There's literally no better extended list atm, and he will win 200-something. And as he's on stream in round 5, I guess he's doing rather well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_j7Vuy5rCE

Now, how many people have tried Talonbane and Ketsu?! To get straight to the point: I strongly suspect that there are many unexplored options for Scum. And I guess that the effect is stronger for Scum-exclusive players as they had a harder time making the transition to the more maneuver-focused and less card-combo game that is 2.0 because they had very strong card combos that routinely added up to 230 points after the first adjustment.

He just advanced to 5-0. :D

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Estarriol said:

So, the list I want to run is Fenn plus three zealous recruits...

Which, by the way, is another tried and tested winning list! Here and here, both hyperspace trials with 50-odd players. The guy @Oli_186th who won them back to back has a youtube channel where he uploads commented vassal games. Some are with the 4 Fangs.

(Particularly funny after @Dengar5's list with Drea swarm as only "ONE good squad option" when they of course and evidently have several with very high potential!)

Edited by GreenDragoon

10 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Which, by the way, is another tried and tested winning list! Here and here, both hyperspace trials with 50-odd players. The guy @Oli_186th who won them back to back has a youtube channel where he uploads commented vassal games. Some are with the 4 Fangs.

(Particularly funny after @Dengar5's list with Drea swarm as only "ONE good squad option" when they of course and evidently have several with very high potential!)

I don't see A+ meta lists in the top 8 of that hyperspace tournament won by 3xFang + Fenn. 3xFang + Fenn is a solid A- list. In a top8 with meta standard A+ lists, it will lose.

5 minutes ago, Dengar5 said:

I don't see A+ meta lists in the top 8 of that hyperspace tournament won by 3xFang + Fenn

4th InVenniecible Lulo Bastian
4th TIE swarm (scum no less!)
8th Kylo QD Muse
8th Poe Nien
8th YYYYYion
8th Re5istance Fives

Apparently I disagree with what you call A+ meta lists for hyperpsace.

I reckon Scum is not in a bad place.  It's just not in a good place.  Do you practice a lot, you're probably going to be okay.  But.  It's difficult to look at any given Scum ship and not see another faction that can do the same thing cheaper/better.

So I Scum main, and dabble in the others once I get tired of working too hard for a win.

11 hours ago, Dengar5 said:

I don't see A+ meta lists in the top 8 of that hyperspace tournament won by 3xFang + Fenn. 3xFang + Fenn is a solid A- list. In a top8 with meta standard A+ lists, it will lose.

I'm genuinely interested to hear what your meta lists are.

Lists aside, both events have some very good players. Coruscant, EU, UK, and Italian Champs are all in there. 

I've been experimenting with:

Scurrg w/ Ion cannon turret, Veteran turret gunner (53 pts)

Scurrg w/ Ion cannon turret, Veteran turret gunner (53 pts)

They always serve as the base, and then I add from there.

Yesterday it was:

Kavil w/ Expert handling, Dorsal turret, Veteran turret gunner (53 pts)

Torkil (38 pts)

Total = 197 pts

The first attempt at the list augmented the scurrgs with:

Jakku (32 pts)

Jakku (32 pts)

Outer rim pioneer w/ Tactical officer (30 pts)

Total = 200 pts

I haven't run this version yet, but think it'll work.

I'm still looking for 94 points to go with the two Scurrg base, though.

1 hour ago, Barkest said:

I'm genuinely interested to hear what your meta lists are.

Lists aside, both events have some very good players. Coruscant, EU, UK, and Italian Champs are all in there. 

As for 4 Fangs I think Oli's result is outcome of his superb skills, not power of list itself. I doubt anyone can duplicate that.