Norsehound

Am I the only one not looking forward to Clone Wars?

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Truthiness said:

And the POTENTIAL for huge world building was there. But prequels didn't do that. The cartoon did.

No you seemed to miss my point somewhat, the prequels literally built a lot of interesting worlds (no pun intended). We saw a lot of creative and alien worlds, especially in EP3, together with a lot of unique vehicles, trooper divisions, etc... all that kind of stuff makes the universe feel alive to me and like a complex system. Thats what worldbuilding is: Its literally building a fictional world, with all the little details that make it seem like this world could exist. As if there was a inherent logic to that universe, even if its a fictional logic.

18 minutes ago, Truthiness said:

I'm pretty excited about Clone Wars in Armada, both from an aesthetic point of view and the idea that we get fresh design starts with new brand factions. But that excitement definitely doesn't come from the prequel trilogy itself :D

I liked the Clone Wars period long before The Clone Wars (2008 show) came along. I read the Dark Horse "Republic" series and the novels of the old Clone Wars Multimedia project, as well as the Republic Commando novels. I always found the period interesting, even before the (for my tastes a little too childish) The Clone Wars cartoon. The old Clone Wars canon (pre 2008) felt much more mature and serious. The Clone Wars (2008) has its strenghts and i am excited for season 7, but overall there was a lot of bad/unnecessary stuff too and i didnt like many of the canon changes they made to the clones, the mandalorians, etc. (e.g. mind-control chips for Order 66 *facepalm*)

So i would probably say my excitement for that period DOES come mostly from the movies and the old clone wars material that i grew up with 😁

Edited by >kkj

On 4/22/2019 at 6:39 PM, >kkj said:

(e.g. mind-control chips for Order 66 *facepalm*)

Facepalm indeed.

A word about “childish”.  The original films were completely accessible to children.  I’m all for childish Star Wars stories if by that you mean lacking in explicit content and overly-complex and vague plot intricacies.  The problem with early clone wars was that it was silly.  Foolish.  Lacking in quality.

I think Episode IV and Episode VII probably do the best job in capturing the “child-friendly” but adult accessible concept.

Rogue One and Episode V probably went too dark, even though I love them.

The rest of the films range from average to awful.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kani Kantai said:

Facepalm indeed.

A word about “childish”.  The original films were completely accessible to children.  I’m all for childish Star Wars stories if by that you mean lacking in explicit content and overly-complex and vague plot intricacies.  The problem with early clone wars was that it was silly.  Foolish.  Lacking in quality.

I think Episode IV and Episode VII probably do the best job in capturing the “child-friendly” but adult accessible concept.

Rogue One and Episode V probably went too dark, even though I love them.

The rest of the films range from average to awful.

With "childish" i meant plain dumb. The mind-control chips just sound like an explaination for a seven-year old who doesnt understand why his beloved good guy clone troopers turn evil.

There was absolutely no need to further exlain Order 66, its clearly stated in EP2 that Clones are genetically altered to follow every Order. That was a interesting and obvious allegory to the Third Reich by George Lucas, a moral about the dangers of total obedience and blindly following orders. 

But with TCW show they decided to throw all that interesting social commentary out of the window and replace it with "they were just all mindcontrolled!"

Before The Clone Wars show came along Order 66 was just one of 150 contingency orders, that was there in case the Jedi commit High Treason. It felt believable and realistic. 

Edited by >kkj

1 hour ago, >kkj said:

With "childish" i meant plain dumb. The mind-control chips just sound like an explaination for a seven-year old who doesnt understand why his beloved good guy clone troopers turn evil.

They don’t even need to “turn evil”.  If you are a loyal tube-bred soldier drilled your whole young life in “follow orders” and receive emergency orders that the Magic warrior monks who can kill dozens of you without trouble are launching a coup you don’t really have time to check the details on snopes.com.

I almost typed snokes.com...suddenly this all makes sense...

50 minutes ago, Kani Kantai said:

They don’t even need to “turn evil”.  If you are a loyal tube-bred soldier drilled your whole young life in “follow orders” and receive emergency orders that the Magic warrior monks who can kill dozens of you without trouble are launching a coup you don’t really have time to check the details on snopes.com.

I almost typed snokes.com...suddenly this all makes sense...

After the Second World War, the United States Government decided it was too dangerous to keep the same officers in units for too long, as it was shown units would start to breed loyalty not to the United States, but rather to commanders.

You can start to see this same occurance in The Clone Wars TV show... the 501st doesnt like following Four Arm crazy dude, and now we see them painting their helmets to match Ashoka's face. The chips were likely programed to release dopamine when an order was completed, as we see they are biological, and when we see that Fives get his removed, its like his whole world has become more clear, like someone coming off mind altering drugs for the first time ever.

Lets not forget also, the Clone's are shown in continous combat for YEARS. Doesnt matter how much training you've had. Everyone breaks eventually.

It will be interesting to see how much interaction they choose to show between returning Ashoka and Anakin - the more they flesh out this part of the story the less rewatches of Episode III will make sense, imo.

50 minutes ago, Kani Kantai said:

It will be interesting to see how much interaction they choose to show between returning Ashoka and Anakin - the more they flesh out this part of the story the less rewatches of Episode III will make sense, imo.

The amount of interaction they have us basically already stated through other sources. At least as it pertains to the battle of Mandalore- in that he’s around long enough to give sone direction, give her sabers, and then he has to run off for the start of RotS.

5 hours ago, Ling27 said:

Lets not forget also, the Clone's are shown in continous combat for YEARS. Doesnt matter how much training you've had. Everyone breaks eventually.

About sixty days of continuous combat.  After that, approximately 98% of normal humans will break mentally.

6 minutes ago, GunNut said:

About sixty days of continuous combat.  After that, approximately 98% of normal humans will break mentally.

And yet, that's the sort of thing regulator Bio-Chips would "help" control in a modified clone... 

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

And yet, that's the sort of thing regulator Bio-Chips would "help" control in a modified clone... 

Exactly. It was likely a product selling point. Kaminoans likely knew this from testing and developed the chip, then also got paid by palps to include a few features.

Edited by Ling27

33 minutes ago, Ling27 said:

Exactly. It was likely a product selling point. Kaminoans likely knew this from testing and developed the chip, then also got paid by palps to include a few features.

Oh sure, but you download the wrong song from Clone Napster and suddenly Rex37 has blue screened and needs to be restarted. Hopefully you saved your work often, otherwise pbbbt.

Actual question: how did Rex and the other 2 dodge the "Order 66" thing?

20 minutes ago, geek19 said:

Oh sure, but you download the wrong song from Clone Napster and suddenly Rex37 has blue screened and needs to be restarted. Hopefully you saved your work often, otherwise pbbbt.

Actual question: how did Rex and the other 2 dodge the "Order 66" thing?

Rex began to quietly investigate what Fives had been on about, then was able to figure it out and escape with Ashoka before Order 66 occured. I'll bet it gets touched upon in the new season.

Honestly anyone still upset about the Clone Wars after the launch of the Executor and two more Calactic Civil War era expansions are nothing more then entitled.

This game was dead in the water for a long time but now we know it at least has another five years of life to it.

FFG are awful communicators but at least we finally know what’s in store. I couldn’t be more excited!

59 minutes ago, Forresto said:

FFG are awful communicators but at least we finally know what’s in store. I couldn’t be more excited!

Were?

Let’s stay positive until proven wrong.

I’m not excited about clone wars.  But I’m happy other people are, and I hope it gets plenty of support.

OP,

I want to say yes, but I'm sure there are other pessimists out there that also don't want clone wars.

Haha just giving you a hard time. To each there own. I think it will be great and they will have to release a decent amount next year for clone wars era of it will fail.  Expect 2-3 waves, IMO.

I just gotta say, I am beyond excited for Clone Wars.  I am loving the attention we are getting at the moment.  The size and scale of the battles is way beyond what the original trilogy every showed.  The sheer amount of new content will make this game last for many more years.  I simply cannot wait.