Norsehound

Am I the only one not looking forward to Clone Wars?

Yeah, not doing Clone Wars is a stupid move. Look at EA, they did ONLY GCW for Battlefront 1, and it got slammed for not having enough content at launch.

They then did all 3 for BF2, which was smart. The generation that grew up with CW, wants to play CW stuff. We love clones.

Despite my Anakin duffel bag, I'm not that big on the Prequels or Clone Wars. Seen a few episodes of the Clone Wars CGI series...not my thing. So no, I'm not really looking forward to it either, from a thematic standpoint. I'd still play it from a gaming standpoint. (I never knew what a Raider or Gladiator was until I got into Armada either.)

5 hours ago, Norell said:

Just add some ships that can be played in GCW like the Venator and the Lancer. Then add some CW card conversion kits for ships already released, like the Kitten, the VSD, the Pelta, the Gozanti, while you release a CIS-only wave with two ships and a squadron pack. Presto! Clone Wars! THEN you can release a new CWQ core set and a new wave of CIS ships.
Long story short: all FFG needs is a CIS expansion and some cards for ships already in play if they want to go minimalist.

Just my two cents though.

A think a conversion pack down the line would be a good idea as well! But still, plastic for the GCW and a conversion pack later?

Thematically adding CW doesn't make sense to me either, but really I never had a problem with cross-era in X-Wing, so I can't say that's an issue in Armada. Really it's the distribution model and... how can the current factions still get some say in new plastic while the clone wars factions are being fluffed out?

Really didn't like how X-Wing did it. In the waves after Scum's debut, Empire got some dud craft I really wasn't excited to see in the once-per-wave offering. And half the wave going to an undesirable faction?

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ripper998 said:

Y’all are crazy. Bring on the clone wars. People complain about thematic but have no problem doing a Vader vs Vader match. If it brings more people to the table I am all for it. 

So you're okay with no ships for the Rebels/Empire for about... two years? Let's say three, given how long it'll probably take to develop all the ships in the core set.

Edited by Norsehound

I do not understand people who dislike the idea of Clone Wars Armada. It is far more suitable than the GCW as fleets regularly got into capital ship combats. Constantly. Its a better setting for the game, full stop.

And those who think it'd be terrible to wait 2 years for an expansion for their desired faction... Well, we are on track to eclipse that currently. Might as well make the wait worth it and introduce a huge amount of new content, rather than wait as we are now for a single ship for a single faction for 2 years.

8 hours ago, Weyoun42 said:

It could probably get away with being a very outsized and point expensive large.  Besides, I want the dreadnaught.  Forget playability, I have more money than sense.  (Just kidding; I don't have money.)

Me too, except (I am not sure I'm kidding. Thank god my wife doesn't micromanage my checkbook.)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheBigLev said:

And those who think it'd be terrible to wait 2 years for an expansion for their desired faction... Well, we are on track to eclipse that currently. Might as well make the wait worth it and introduce a huge amount of new content, rather than wait as we are now for a single ship for a single faction for 2 years. 

Basically this.

Edited by Ling27

Also, a lot of people keep bringing up "Thematic" last I checked, like 90% of play is Organized Play rules. I haven't really done anything else even though I would love to do some wacky stuff because people don't want to... because its not preparing for a Event. And I also don't think its very thematic to just remove your ship from the base half way through the game because everyone's ships flew FAR TO CLOSE together.

I joked with fellow soldiers that we could probably play the entire game with just bases if we wanted to if we got deployed again, because in full honesty, you don't need to worry about it the models if half the time you remove them from the base.

10 hours ago, Fuzzywookie said:

I don’t think the rebels have anymore big ships. I’m pretty sure the last got destroyed in VIII. 

That would be the Resistance, not the Rebels.

The Resistance would never get past the Battle of Hoth, Admiral Ozzel could wipe them out with just his stupid clumsiness. 

Clone Wars ships are quite nice, so I don't mind it. Not cheering in joy mind you, but the more ship designs the better. Just hope they still will add Civil War era ship designs like from the older PC games.

The original series is my Star Wars, but for my kids the prequels were the thing.  I have to say that watching the Clone Wars series gave me a much greater appreciation of the prequel era, and there is so much content there it would be foolish to ignore it.

I'm excited about the idea, and I'll buy it when it finally comes.

13 hours ago, Norsehound said:

So you're okay with no ships for the Rebels/Empire for about... two years? Let's say three, given how long it'll probably take to develop all the ships in the core set.

You mean as opposed to aaaaaaalllllll these Rebel and Empire ships we're currently getting?

It's already been over a year since the last Rebel and Empire release. And even then, the Empire release was just a repaint of an existing ship with new cards. 

What's your projected path for this hypothetical two years if Clone Wars doesn't happen? What ships are going to get released? What content is going to be added to the game?

All the arguments against Clone Wars I can see are just people actively looking for problems. New factions don't need absolute content parity to be fun or competitive to play. They just need to be able to build a solid list or two with the first wave of content, and then have their options expanded and identity refined with a second wave. 

Over half of all the existing expansions for Armada were released in the first two waves. If the Clone Wars core set included an Acclamator, a Munificent frigate and a Hardcell with the additional wave 1 expansions being a Providence cruiser and an Arquitens (with extra bases/cards to convert the Imperial version), and then the second wave introduces your big boys in the form of the Venator and Lucrehulk along with a Consular-class and a Recusant then you've already got the vast majority of both fleets. With two starfighter expansions each, you'd have the Delta-7, ARC-170, Y-Wing, V-Wing, V-19, Nu-class shuttle, Eta-2 and Twilight all taken care of for the Republic, and Vulture Droids, Hyena Bombers, Tr-Fighters, Belbullabs, Geonosian fighters, Rogue Starfighters, Sheathipede and Sith Infiltrator for the Seps. That's pretty much literally everything you could possibly want.

You could do that in six months.

The only things left would be the Malevolence and maybe a CC-9979 flotilla for the Seps, and maybe a Victory, Pelta (with conversions) and the Stealth Ship for the Republic. 

So all the topics about GCW running out of non legends ships were wrong? After reading this it sounds like there is enough Rebel and Imperial ships to last for quite a while. While I would like CW ships more ships for either time period is good. Also more squadrons and titles. I really like the idea of card packs. 

5 hours ago, GuacCousteau said:

What's your projected path for this hypothetical two years if Clone Wars doesn't happen? What ships are going to get released? What content is going to be added to the game?

Wave 8
Brahatok (Dornean) gunship
- The fighting flotilla everyone imagines, maybe with a commander to help rebel small/medium ships get some leverage over large ships. No red dice out the sides, two dice AA, no scatter.
Arrestor-Class Cruiser - Speed 2 dual fleet support slot ship with an alternate for Fleet Commands. Another speed 2 cruiser, likely with upgrades to help out speed 2 vessels.

Wave 9
MC85 Class Cruiser - Distinctly cross-compatible with Rebellion forces since it's technically an alliance ship. Introduces a new slot specifically for advanced TFA/TLJ era equipment. Following the convention set down with X-Wing.
Resurgent-Class Cruiser - Also distinctly cross-compatible. Somewhere between the low-end SSDs and the ISD-II. Super carrier with a battery weaker than an ISD.

Wave 10
Free Virgillia class Corvette - Small ship for the Rebellion/Resistance that also utilizes a special tech slot. Black dice close-range attacker with double ordnance modeled after the Gladiator.
Maxima-A Class Cruiser - Small ship for the Empire/First Order that utilizes the special tech slot. Maxima is Empire prototype, Maxima-A is first order. Beefier ship modeled after the MC30.
The Resistance era fighters - 2x of T-70 X-Wings, SF-17 star fortresses, RZ-2 A-Wing, Resistance Transport, TIE/FO, TIE/SF, First Order TIE Interceptor, AAL-1971/9.1 Troop Transport - New Fighters to shake up

If a new media production of some kind has a rebel ship before leaning into TFA/TLJ content, it could be presented opposite of the Imperial Support Vessel (Speed 2 broadside attack ship at medium size, coming with more upgrades to resist rebel fighter supremacy). There's always re-printing rebel ships with new paint schemes too, pulling a Chimaera.

While these are going on there's also undoubtedly going to be other ships and media showing up that could jump in between the different waves. Point being you start with factions that are designed to integrate with the current ones, then split off when that subfaction population is large enough to do so.

I know it is scary but it will be okay. If the Clone Wars stuff is interesting and fun to play in Armada, you can still, even after twenty years, hold on to your prequels-suck reflex. Clone Wars content won't destroy your self-image as a prequel hating "Star Wars" not "A New Hope" Han shot fan of real Star Wars. You can still hate the prequels even if they bring fun stuff to Armada.