Jump to content
AltitudeMatters

Now Available: Paper Blossoms, a Character Generator

Recommended Posts

I've checked in a change that should reduce the minimum required size of several of the windows (754px height for the largest window, now)--hopefully you guys will see improvements in the next release!

For anyone wanting to see issues that are on our radar (or to add them to our radar somewhere other than this thread) we're tracking activity on https://github.com/dashnine/PaperBlossoms/issues .

Thanks again to everyone for sending feedback!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2019 at 5:27 PM, Franwax said:

This is awesome!! Thanks so much!

Tested it by creating a Togashi monk (not the easiest test subject ;) ) - one suggestion: add a choice of an additional Kiho to be obtained through the school ability, with the Tattoo.

Checked in a change that allows users to add free advances, and specify a reason (e.g. Tattoo). It's not quite the same as automatically adding it, of course, but it should allow that Togashi to be (I hope) fully supported. 😄  You should see the new functionality in the next release!

FreeAdvance.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is so cool! Thank you!

I downloaded the OSX build, but have been getting a similar error prompt on startup to the one ruronin had for the Windows build: "The local data is missing or older than the bundled data. Do you want to overwrite local data?" Clicking "yes" or "no" doesn't seem to do anything different as far as I can see (have investigated both). The program then starts, but when I try to begin creating a new character the clan/family/etc dropdowns are all blank.

I suspect a similar problem creating the local data directory? Especially since when I navigate to Tools > Open Application Data Directory, nothing actually opens.

 

Will head over to Bootcamp and dl the Windows version now just to play with it sooner...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yeah, that's exactly what that sounds like.  If you're getting blanks, that's data not getting installed.   Fortunately, it's a weekend!  😄  Let me run a few builds.  Check back back in about a half hour!

Edit: While I work - the application directory is "Library/Application Support/PaperBlossoms" -- if the PaperBlossoms directory isn't there, you should be able to manually create it to get the current build working.  Have something brewing, though, here in a few!

Edited by AltitudeMatters
Adding path fino

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, locust shell said:

This is so cool! Thank you!

I downloaded the OSX build, but have been getting a similar error prompt on startup to the one ruronin had for the Windows build: "The local data is missing or older than the bundled data. Do you want to overwrite local data?" Clicking "yes" or "no" doesn't seem to do anything different as far as I can see (have investigated both). The program then starts, but when I try to begin creating a new character the clan/family/etc dropdowns are all blank.

I suspect a similar problem creating the local data directory? Especially since when I navigate to Tools > Open Application Data Directory, nothing actually opens.

 

Will head over to Bootcamp and dl the Windows version now just to play with it sooner...

I've pushed a new release, https://github.com/dashnine/PaperBlossoms/releases/tag/v0.1.7-beta.1 !

This also includes a few of the fixes mentioned on this forum (free advances for the troublesome Togashi, smaller windows, data fixes like the kuni rings)!  Hope it helps some folks out.

Edit: When it asks, unless you have custom data it should be safe to say yes to the "overwrite local data" question.  If there's no data (or new data) it'll install it for you).

Edited by AltitudeMatters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ni Fang said:

What is the .dmg file ? Is that the actual update or should i download the overall .zip ?

The DMG is the OSX build -- if you're on windows, the Zip is what you want!  😄  I'll adjust the release text to make that clearer--thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Victarion13 said:

That's very good and cool. Great!

Now I will wait for all the update, like the Mantis, lol

Hah! Right? :)  It's in the queue.  I think meow9th is starting with Shadowlands (since I need some data there to make the necessary code changes.  Samurai heritages are a beast to code) -- Mantis should be right behind that!

In the meanwhile, there are user_ tables in the DB that could be used to get Mantis running in the short term--if you go that way though, beware--we've got a couple schema changes coming down the wire, so you'd have to export them, tweak the CSVs, and re-import them when an update comes through.

But!  Shouldn't be tooooooo long before Mantis is in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont know if it is a github issue or what, but it lags on my laptop when extracting the .zip file something fierce to the point of actually killing it {I had to force a restart}. However since my restart the extractiung of the file progressed as normal with no issues. So its possibly just a computer issue I was having.

GOOD NEWS the screen resoultion fixes work perfecty!

Image in character sheet generator looked a bit funky at first then I reloaded it and it worked fine, so I think it was my fault with a crappy image I used

Last but not least, updating rings isnt visible when doing game of 20 questions as I had thought it would be ?

NOTE: No need to rush this updates, this is just stuff I'm finding to help you get it going right

 

Possible suggestion ?

Die roller {I am looking into buying the dice myself though, right now qwe're improvising with the Star Wars Edge of the Empire dice sets and so far it works alright}

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Ni Fang said:

Possible suggestion ?

Die roller {I am looking into buying the dice myself though, right now qwe're improvising with the Star Wars Edge of the Empire dice sets and so far it works alright}

The FFG dice app on Google Play or Appstore,  works fine ! it's 3.99 € (about 5 US$ I guess ..)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ni Fang said:

I dont know if it is a github issue or what, but it lags on my laptop when extracting the .zip file something fierce to the point of actually killing it {I had to force a restart}. However since my restart the extractiung of the file progressed as normal with no issues. So its possibly just a computer issue I was having.

GOOD NEWS the screen resoultion fixes work perfecty!

Image in character sheet generator looked a bit funky at first then I reloaded it and it worked fine, so I think it was my fault with a crappy image I used

Last but not least, updating rings isnt visible when doing game of 20 questions as I had thought it would be ?

NOTE: No need to rush this updates, this is just stuff I'm finding to help you get it going right

 

7 hours ago, ruronin said:

The FFG dice app on Google Play or Appstore,  works fine ! it's 3.99 € (about 5 US$ I guess ..)

Thanks!

1) Sweet--I'd like to get the minimum window sizes a little smaller still, but if this is working for most folks, that may wait until there's less on the backlog.

2) The zip: Hopefully the zip is nothing special--I just zipped it with Windows.  It's a pretty big file (mostly due to the library I'm using to render the character sheet -_-) I suppose.  Let me know if this is something widespread/repeating!

3) The image: The character image gets converted to base64 and embedded in the character sheet; I have seen some images that have trouble loading in the renderer (but I have fairly limited control of how the renderer behaves, unfortunately, so these sorts of things are hard to track/fix).  If you chase down something reproducible, let me know and I'll see if I can track down the issue! :)

4) This one is concerning/high priority, if it's getting calculated wrong!  Ring calculation currently occurs at the end of the process, based on everything selected to date.

  • Clan
  • Family
  • School
  • Standing out in your school (any)
  • Any adjustment from Question 18

After Question 20, if any ring is above 3, the app should provide combo boxes to adjust rings until they adhere to maximums, limited to allowable selections.

If you find a path where that doesn't appear to be getting calculated properly, let me know!  There's a feature request on the board to add a 'status' bar listing current rings and skills, but it's currently lower on the list than new data support and bugfixes.

5) This would be way down in the queue, and I want to make sure I don't tread on FFG's territory here--I definitely recommend the FFG dice roller, at this time!  There's also a pretty nice mobile-friendly dice rolling site someone posted on the forums here a few days ago. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly at this moment I dont have the means to get FFG's die rollers through google play {much less actually get a few die sets when running the game itself, so like I mentioned we've been using and modyifiying to work wityh our narrative the Edge of the Empire dice at this time {mostly the 12 and 6 sided dice}}

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Ni Fang said:

Sadly at this moment I dont have the means to get FFG's die rollers through google play {much less actually get a few die sets when running the game itself, so like I mentioned we've been using and modyifiying to work wityh our narrative the Edge of the Empire dice at this time {mostly the 12 and 6 sided dice}}

Oh no!  Well, in the meanwhile, you could take a look at this one by Ieitor:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hotfixes published just now!  An eagle-eyed player in my local game noticed an XP calculation error occurring when a character is crossing a rank threshold.  (Basically, the calculating routine was using the character's rank for each advance, rather than the rank the character had at the time the advance was taken, resulting in things getting inappropriately marked as in- or out-of-curriculum). 

As of 0.1.7-beta.3, the remove equipment buttons should also work correctly.  Oops. >_>

The newest build is at the usual place--in this case, specifically: https://github.com/dashnine/PaperBlossoms/releases .  No schema changes here, so your old characters and data should work just fine--XP should be recalculated on load, too, so it'll fix your old characters just fine (no rebuild necessary).

Edited by AltitudeMatters
Noted the second hotfix push, beta-3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if what I'm going to say it's possible or not (too much work or copyright law).

But...

It will be useful to have the technique effect written down in the sheet when you print it, and not only the page where I can find the information. It could make everything faster for players as well as master

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Victarion13 said:

I don't know if what I'm going to say it's possible or not (too much work or copyright law).

But...

It will be useful to have the technique effect written down in the sheet when you print it, and not only the page where I can find the information. It could make everything faster for players as well as master

So we actually made a decision to not provide the contents of descriptions, much like OggDude's character generator for star wars.  We *did* provide a means to add it yourself, though!

If you open the application database (you can find it by going to Tools->Open Application Data Directory and opening paperblossoms.db using a tool such as DB Browser for Sqlite) you can add descriptions to the user_descriptions table.  There are three columns: name, descriptions, and short_desc.  

The name should match the technique, ability, clan, advantage, etc.  The description column is the place for the full text, and the short_desc is meant to be a brief desc shown in the app in some places.  If it's populated correctly (and matches the technique name exactly, including special characters like the macrons over the vowels) the description should show up in your character sheets!

Note: the data will get overwritten the next time you download a new version of the app.  To save your custom data/descriptions, you can use Tools->Export User Data.  When you upgrade Paper Blossoms, you can use Tools->Import User Data to add your custom descriptions back in--if the schema of the DB has changed though, you may have to correct the columns in the CSV to safely import it, so beware, and back up your data if you're concerned!

The data import and Export features are still fairly beta--very little testing has been done on them, and there may be quirks while we settle down on the DB schema.  Let us know what problems you run into, if you use them!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2019 at 12:23 PM, Ni Fang said:

 

There is one spelling issue I found, but its so tiny its not even an issue, so dont worry of spelling errors. Major bugs come first :)

For this (and anyone else that finds spelling errors or other minor bugs) -- feel free to put together little bundles of these!  We do passes at spelling and data errors regularly, so  let us know--there is a lot of data added for this application, so minor issues like that are unavoidable...and hard to find. :) If possible, put them in an issue in github (https://github.com/dashnine/PaperBlossoms/issues ) .  If not, I check this forum pretty regularly, so if you post something here, I'll  see it before too terribly long :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2019 at 6:11 PM, AltitudeMatters said:

Oh no!  Well, in the meanwhile, you could take a look at this one by Ieitor:

 

 

I looked into it, and again if its hostede on the web and only accisble that way, tyhen it might be possible, otherwise I cant download an app overall to my tablet due to space isues {twice in the last day alone I hit the warning notice just updating the core software} I am planning on getting the actual dice sets though. {Im going to aim for AT LEAST 3 sets of dice for L5R to buy}

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now available - a major release (0.2.0) supporting Shadowlands!

https://github.com/dashnine/PaperBlossoms/releases

WARNING: this update contains changes to the database schema. If you have exported custom user tables (particularly titles and techniques) you will need to add columns to re-import them. Character saves should remain compatible.

In addition to an array of bugfixes and code cleanup, this beta release includes new features:

  • Schools, Titles, Clans, Techniques, and more from Shadowlands!
  • Support for learning Signature Scrolls and Patterns (added as "Techniques" in Advances)
  • Item patterns can be added as Qualities to items (note: you need to adjust item stats manually when adding a Pattern).
  • The Shadowlands samurai heritage table may now be selected during character creation!
  • Back-end code changes to support translation into other languages. These should have no visible impact on the app at this time. In the coming weeks, we'll be aiming to provide some guidelines for how translators can contribute to the project.

Fixes from all prior minor releases are included, including free advances (for Togashi Tattoos), fixes to Remove buttons, XP calculation bugs, and more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ni Fang said:

I looked into it, and again if its hostede on the web and only accisble that way, tyhen it might be possible, otherwise I cant download an app overall to my tablet due to space isues {twice in the last day alone I hit the warning notice just updating the core software} I am planning on getting the actual dice sets though. {Im going to aim for AT LEAST 3 sets of dice for L5R to buy}

I believe it is a pure web app, in fact :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DSome good news, for once the zipfile extracted without issues. so I think that issue I was having was due to my laptop having issues with some things. Its all fixed now.

Currently the save location is a bit wonky but thats a folders issue on my end, so its easil,y fixed.

Otherwise everything works nicely

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...