Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Talisker55

FFG, arms help!!!!!

Recommended Posts

Mid 40s, eye-sight tired at best, slowly fatter fingers here for full disclosure.

Each release gets a bit more hellish to glue.  Death Troopers, were near the end of me. 

Can you please go back to both arms holding the weapon and we just glue into the sockets?

Anyone else gluing their fingers to the models trying to get the forearms attached?  If so, any thoughts or suggestions on how to do this with minimal skin lose?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just purchased and assembled my unit of fleet troopers (I know, I’m behind) and it was a pain to glue forearms. In the end i decided not to glue forearms to guns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Hate to say it, but with sprue based models upcoming, it is going to get a little worse for you.  

Have you tried using tweezers to hold the pieces?  

I mean I assembled Robotech RPG tactics, compared to that, Legion is a cakewalk.

Actually might get better since they will be hard plastic.  You'l be able you use plastic cement that doesn't eat your skin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is my thought as I have assembled a lot of GW models and all of the FFG Legion stuff. I like to base coat everything first for ease of painting and I like to paint the whole miniature before assembly but a good way to do it is take a tooth pick and put the glue on said tooth pick, then put it into the socket and give it a good coating followed by putting the arm in place, this should prevent excess glue and keep your fingers unstuck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get a magnification visor and glue meant for scratch built models because it has a fine needle like tip and take your time gluing without distractions.   Get it on your fingers?  Then quit gluing until that dries or you use releasing agent to remove it.  Last thing you want is glue all over the model.  I have never found the instructions complicated at all.  But if do get stumped, take a look at the back of the box.  If I where the drafter of those instructions, I would have had an iso view of the finished model in the upper right.  It's just a mouse click and I have never understood why placing an actual isometric view is soooo difficult.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't mind making models, but the random assortment of bits that FFG include don't add anything but annoyance the hobby aspect of SWL. If the figures were at all pose-able then I could understand it, but to randomly chop up the figures in to odd bits is just silly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Empire On Ice said:

I don't mind making models, but the random assortment of bits that FFG include don't add anything but annoyance the hobby aspect of SWL. If the figures were at all pose-able then I could understand it, but to randomly chop up the figures in to odd bits is just silly.

It's because of the limits of injection molding.  You have two halves, and sometimes sliding inserts.  Molding figures in one piece would severely limit poses, and you'd lose a lot of detail like shirt fronts, belts, inside arms and blasters, etc. It's been standard for decades in plastic model kits to use multi-part figures even though you rarely get "posable" figures, simply to achieve better detail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a thing no one has brought up.

Superglue doesn't "dry" by losing moisture into the air like Elmer's glue. It actually undergoes a chemical reaction with water, to harden. It doesn't "dry" at all, it "wets".

If you get it on your fingers don't wait for it to dry, stick your hands under running water, boom, the glue turns solid RIGHT NOW.

On models, don't blow on superglue to dry it. Hold your mouth wide open and close, breathing out with lots of moisture like you're trying to fog up a mirror.

It adheres to your skin faster than to models because of the moisture in skin. Tweezers can help for some pieces but also know that less is more. Too much superglue can actually weaken a bond. Plus too much glue runs all over, getting on your skin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Hate to say it, but with sprue based models upcoming, it is going to get a little worse for you.  

Have you tried using tweezers to hold the pieces?  

I mean I assembled Robotech RPG tactics, compared to that, Legion is a cakewalk.

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one suckered into Robotech RPG.  It is hard to complain about anything FFG does after my experience with that game.

That isn’t meant to diminish someone else’s experience, but illustrate how our own experiences influence how we view Legion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CaptainRocket said:

I still have Veritechs to build... who wants to adapt Robotech to Legion rules?

I still have more than half of my stuff unbuilt and will never build it. I never even got around to playing a game. I didn’t think I would ever play a miniature hobby game again until Legion came out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having assembled a lot of models from sprues/frames I have to admit, I'm not looking forward to it coming to Legion. It will triple assembly time and is just ... tedious and frustrating.

I don't like sprues. 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Darth 2Face said:

I still have more than half of my stuff unbuilt and will never build it. I never even got around to playing a game. I didn’t think I would ever play a miniature hobby game again until Legion came out.

Actually it's surprisingly a pretty good and fast playing game.

In some ways less fiddly than Legion (thank you FFG and your 2 zillion tokens), but not nearly as tight or well balanced.

I'm glad I have the models though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, CaptainRocket said:

I still have Veritechs to build... who wants to adapt Robotech to Legion rules?

Ah.. it would be glorious..   and simple too!  Ideally, get some medium bases and you are good to go.   Battlepods with cohesion placement..

Fighter mode with compulsory move

different dice for different weapons..   the irony is I sold my Robotech to a friend, at a discount, to equally be rid of it and to buy Legion.

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Darth 2Face said:

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one suckered into Robotech RPG.  It is hard to complain about anything FFG does after my experience with that game.

That isn’t meant to diminish someone else’s experience, but illustrate how our own experiences influence how we view Legion

Nope..  I was suckered in, only because Ninja Division.  Should have known Palladium would muck it up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, GunNut said:

It's because of the limits of injection molding.  You have two halves, and sometimes sliding inserts.  Molding figures in one piece would severely limit poses, and you'd lose a lot of detail like shirt fronts, belts, inside arms and blasters, etc. It's been standard for decades in plastic model kits to use multi-part figures even though you rarely get "posable" figures, simply to achieve better detail.

I am used to building models. The choices FFG make on which 'bits' to design make my head hurt. It just looks to me like someone randomly cuts up the model design with no thought on how they will go together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CaptainRocket said:

I still have Veritechs to build... who wants to adapt Robotech to Legion rules?

Cool people call it Macross and only watch it subtitled.

I just got back into Battletech. Have two lances to paint. Ambitions to expand them into air lances with drop ships... then add a single clan lance with a powersuit infantry and a drop ship and never touch such a thing again with a 10 foot pole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

Cool people call it Macross and only watch it subtitled.

All People -  Have fond childhood memories of Robotech
Cool people - call it Macross and watch it subtitled
Really cool people - bought the 1/200 Variable Fighter Collection series in enough boxes to field full squads of VF-22s and VF-15s cause the were compatible scale (true story)
Galaxy mind level cool people - don't care if you wanna call it Robotech or Macross so long as you will play transforming space robots with them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

Cool people call it Macross and only watch it subtitled.

No.....that is a 100% false statement that has never been true on any timeline. 
You're an anime nerd.  Own it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...