Sign in to follow this  
RedDogReb

Old Quesion, from a noob. Sorry!

Simply, what is the order of actions with Boarding Troopers and Avenger, and what happens to defence tokens.

As a noob I never tried this before and would like to get it right as I hope to use it over the weekend.

Thanks in advance.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, RedDogReb said:

Simply, what is the order of actions with Boarding Troopers and Avenger, and what happens to defence tokens.

As a noob I never tried this before and would like to get it right as I hope to use it over the weekend.

Thanks in advance.

Boarding Troopers is “when you reveal a command”.

That's basically first. So go do that as you turn your dial over and such, assuming you’re in close range already. That’s really the first hurdle .

So you go and exhaust their defense tokens...

Then assuming your dial is not  still existing as a Squad or Eng (because if it is, do that) , you get to attack.

Oh look, you exhaust Avenger and they can’t use those exhausted tokens to defend.

Tough luck for them.

Seriousky, it’s one of the better combinations in the game, so much so that Avenger got nerfed to an exhaust so you couldn’t use both attacks with it.

Edited by Drasnighta

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, RedDogReb said:

@Drasnighta thanks. A follow up - Where does (indeed can) Overload Pulse fit into this?

Nowhere useful.

Overload pulse is a Critical effect, which means it takes place AFTER the enemy spends their tokens, and just exhaustsvones they don’t spend.

Which means, to get mileage from OP, you need to:

1) Not be using Boardung Teams for whatever reason (say, medium range, not equipped, already used )

2) Double Arc the target.

3) Fire the lesser arc first, and end up with a blue crit

4) Trigger OP, but not Avenger

5) Open up with the Main arc and use Avenger there...

its much less point and click.

then:

Usung OP after boarding troopers is redundant.

Boarding Troopers happens, which spends the enemy tokens - most likely turning them from ready to exhausted.

At which point, overload pulse does nothing, as it is only able to turn ready tokens to exhausted (Exhaust), not exhausted tokens to discarded (spend).

You would have to overload pulse with a second ship first, then , the same turn, use boarding troopers from Avenger to spend those exhausted tokens to discarded... at which point, they have no tokens, and Avenger is irrelevant 😁

Edited by Drasnighta

On 3/29/2019 at 10:25 AM, RedDogReb said:

@Drasnighta thanks. A follow up - Where does (indeed can) Overload Pulse fit into this?

If you were going to use overload pulse you would want a different ship with that upgrade usually a raider 2 with d-caps it would activate first fire its shots use overload pulse then you could follow up with avenger. but he's right you wouldn't want it on avenger itself

Yes, that has been my list for while now and it took it to worlds as well. It's a good list but experience players will know how to avoid it. When it does pay off, it hurts.