Boom Owl

Faction Wars: First Order Is The Coolest Faction

Posted (edited)

I'll play ball here. 

As someone who has seen every Star Wars film opening day except Last Jedi, I find myself wrestling with what I know vs. what I feel. A breakdown, if you will;

1) The Rebel Alliance fleet, at its core of film only canon ships, has an industrial utilitarianism that is appealing. There's an underdog element to their motif that is undoubtedly resilient. They're pretty much the Bruce Springsteen of factions. 

2) Scum have a wildly diverse gallery of maverick designs that feel foreign and intriguing. They're the wild one night stand that you know isn't healthy for you long term, but you can't resist their reckless abandonment of practicality. 

3) Resistance lacks the requisite identity to stand on their own merits. Their ships are within the pale, vestiges of redundancy only enhanced by the character of their pilots. The Resistance Transport is a bit ham handed, the Starfortress a nice homage but not defining enough onscreen to be worthy. Resistance is the most sidebar of factions. Lowest of the low. 

4) First Order expands on a theme well enough to be distinct, with subtle variations but ultimately possessing a residual sense of lost cause. The future, however, is brightest given the films and movies potentially to come. We haven't seen their full potential, but their most iconic on its own merits (Silencer) is toe to toe with the best any faction can offer. The most upside exists here. 

5) Republic ships have a regal elegance to them. While the films are largely dismissable, one can't refute they have an aesthetic that possesses both refinement (Aethersprites, Naboo starfighter) and apex functionality (ARC-170, Torrents.) They are the Hattori Hanzo faction. Crafted with purpose and precision. 

6) CIS ship designs hover inbetween being clunkily obtrusive and en massedly forgettable visually. They lack fearsomeness. They look like technological discards. The Sith Infiltrator is a hybrid misfit that fits other factions and other genres better than its own. 

So where does this leave us? 

The Imperial Empire. 

Nothing else is as definitive. Nothing else is as versatile. Nothing else is as sexy. Nothing else has as much identity. You know an Imperial ship even at its most remote of archetype. (Starwing) The effort and result that went into the Decimator alone is enough to convince us of this. They're the cool kids we hated but wanted to be a part of. I don't even own them in the 3 years I've been in the game, but lately they've been... calling to me. And I don't know how much longer I can hold out. I tell myself, Hyperspace only. That's enough. I can resist the rest. But I'm finding it harder and harder now that TIE Interceptor is legal. 

Yeah, Imperials win this handily. Your mileage may vary. But there's a reason we fear and respect them. Heroes are defined by their villains, and in Sci-Fi starfighter combat history, it all started here. 

Book it, Lobot. 

Edited by Cloaker

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Cuz05 said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR55gb_U_ukSu01jvy2ptd

7 minutes ago, Cloaker said:

I'll play ball here. 

As someone who has seen every Star Wars film opening day except Last Jedi, I find myself wrestling with what I know vs. What I feel. A breakdown, if you will;

1) The Rebel Alliance fleet, at its core of film only canon ships, has an industrial utilitarianism that is appealing. There's an underdog element to their motif that is undoubtedly resilient. They're pretty much the Bruce Springsteen of factions. 

2) Scum have a wildly diverse gallery of maverick designs that feel foreign and intriguing. They're the wild one night stand that you know isn't healthy for you long term, but you can't resist their reckless abandonment of practicality. 

3) Resistance lacks the requisite identity to stand on their own merits. Their ships are within the pale, vestiges of redundancy only enhanced by the character of their pilots. The Resistance Transport is a bit ham handed, the Starfortress a nice homage but not defining enough onscreen to be worthy. Resistance is the most sidebar of factions. Lowest of the low. 

4) First Order expands on a theme well enough to be distinct, with subtle variations but ultimately possessing a residual sense of lost cause. The future, however, is brightest given the films and movies potentially to come. We haven't seen their best and their best on its own merits (Silencer) is toe to toe with the best any faction can offer. The most upside exists here. 

5) Republic ships have a regal elegance to them. While the films are largely dismissable, one can't refute they have an aesthetic that possesses both refinement (Aethersprites, Naboo starfighter) and apex functionality (ARC-170, Torrents.) They are the Hattori Hanzo faction. Crafted with purpose and precision. 

6) CIS ship designs hover inbetween being clunkily obtrusive and en massedly forgettable visually. They lack fearsomeness. They look like technological discards. The Sith Infiltrator is a hybrid misfit that fits other faction of other genres better than its own. 

So where does this leave us? 

The Imperial Empire. 

Nothing else is as definitive. Nothing else is as versatile. Nothing else is as sexy. Nothing else has as much identity. You know an Imperial ship even at its most remote of archetype. (Starwing) The effort and result that went into the Decimator alone is enough to convince us of this. They're the cool kids we hated but wanted to be a part of. I don't even own them in the 3 years I've been in the game, but lately they've been... calling to me. And I don't know how much longer I can hold out. I tell myself, Hyperspace only. That's enough. I can resist the rest. But I'm finding it harder and harder now that TIE Interceptor is legal. 

Yeah, Imperials win this handily. Your mileage may vary. But there's a reason we fear and respect them. Heroes are defined by their villains, and in Sci-Fi starfighter combat history, it all started here. 

Book it, Lobot. 

Did we just say the same thing here. But differently?

Edited by Cuz05

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Cloaker said:

The Imperial Empire. 

Nothing else is as definitive. Nothing else is as versatile. Nothing else is as sexy. Nothing else has as much identity. You know an Imperial ship even at its most remote of archetype. (Starwing)

I feel that the argument could be made that the TIE Fighter is even more iconic and identifiable than the X-Wing.  Among fans and casual viewers, of course, the X-Wing is plenty recognizable, but it does follow standard sci-fi fighter design of "vaguely plane-shaped".  The TIE Fighter, though, is distinctly and uniquely a symbol of the Galactic Empire.

...not to mention the Imperial March.

Edited by JJ48

On 3/29/2019 at 1:03 PM, Cloaker said:

6) CIS ship designs hover inbetween being clunkily obtrusive and en massedly forgettable visually. They lack fearsomeness. They look like technological discards. The Sith Infiltrator is a hybrid misfit that fits other factions and other genres better than its own.

On 3/29/2019 at 9:17 AM, Boom Owl said:

Just a friendly reminder that First Order is by far the coolest faction.

tenor.gif?itemid=10809167

I do like the republic, but I have two issues. 

1. A lot of the ships do look like repainted knock-offs of rebel or imperial ships. I know they're meant to represent the predecessor designs and be remeniscent of their successors (Eta Actis ~> TIE Interceptor, ARC-> X-wing) but whilst the ships are individually gorgeous, they don't give the faction a universal aesthetic of its own the way Rebels or Empire have.
  2. The two really unique ships - the Delta and the Naboo N-1 - both irk me because of the ridiculous ret-cons associated with their internal layout to justify how they have astromech droids fitted in spots on the ship where an astromech clearly cannot fit. 

The Rebellion will free this thread from tyranny!!!

Everyone loves an underdog. Underestimate us at your peril. All it takes is one good shot and your super weapon is gone. Keep lining em up and we'll keep knocking em down. 

In all seriousness though, the rebel aesthetic speaks to me in a big way. Scrappy, a little dirty, pretty beat up, but they've got it where it counts