Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Blail Blerg

Does the Jumpmaster reaaaaaallly not supposed to have a white rotate?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I mean come onnnnn/ I understand the thing is a hated toilet seat, but wow, this thing is awful to fly. 

No white rotate on my PS2 contracted scout. And only a single sided turret. (Frankly, Idk why anything get double sided turrets, makes no sense) I have to do freaking algebra to plan flight patterns and shot angles. 

And 46 points for the scout??? yikes. 

 

Like it wouldn't kill the game either if it had a non-linked white rotate. (No focus) 

Edited by Blail Blerg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

I mean come onnnnn/ I understand the thing is a hated toilet seat, but wow, this thing is awful to fly. 

No white rotate on my PS2 contracted scout. And only a single sided turret. (Frankly, Idk why anything get double sided turrets, makes no sense) I have to do freaking algebra to plan flight patterns and shot angles. 

And 46 points for the scout??? yikes. 

Like it wouldn't kill the game either if it had a non-linked white rotate. (No focus) 

After 5-6 games with Dengar-JM I simply gave up.

It's just horrible, and the lack of a white rotate is just one piece of the crap puzzle.

The JM is large base (bad), as a single rotating arc, can take a title that makes the front only a little bit better, only has red rotate - and a dial that hates stress.

Compare this piece of **** to a Y-wing with Ion turret. Lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Green Knight said:

After 5-6 games with Dengar-JM I simply gave up.

It's just horrible, and the lack of a white rotate is just one piece of the crap puzzle.

The JM is large base (bad), as a single rotating arc, can take a title that makes the front only a little bit better, only has red rotate - and a dial that hates stress.

Compare this piece of **** to a Y-wing with Ion turret. Lol. 

Welp/ let's make it known to FFG that this thing really needs an errata look. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at it now, I really wonder if the (non-Punishing one) jumpmaster can be balanced correctly to be competive without breaking the game. If it's cheap enough, it really lends itself well to blocking and spamming. We saw in 1st edtion what spaming cheap large bases can do to the game (it was bad).

Let's hope they fix it with upgrade cards. They really don't have any unique slots in scum. Maybe a combination of crew and torpedo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

Welp/ let's make it known to FFG that this thing really needs an errata look. 

I think the pretty much complete lack of it being used at any level of competitive play should help with that.  While I think points adjustments could help it, the combination of the dial and red rotate are just so punishing (pun not intended) to deal with that it's hard to see the JumpMaster having a place that isn't notably better served by a different ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Red rotate on a large based ship that is already paying the turret point tax really is the truest sign of FFG's hate. Wasn't there just a thread asking why Han in the Resistance Falcon is so poorly priced and balanced?

Large bases as a whole are relegated to more of a support role for now it seems. Maybe someone can make Maul a threat, but so far the Infiltrator also looks like it is best used as a support crew carrier. No turret of curse, but the whole environment of 2.0 seems to make the big base itself a significant downside. Best to pay the least you can unless you are getting an amazing support ability like Rebel Lando. 

Edited by RebelProfundity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The trick is not to try and fly it how you did in 1.0, but to adapt to its current abilities and limitations.

With the scout you can stick some torpedoes on it for the front arc, fix the turret to the left arc, and fly around the board counter-clockwise so you’re always turning left... but be prepared to do something unexpected if it’ll set up a good Torpedo attack.

I’ve recently flown a Dengar / Manaroo list, accompanied by a Scurrg, and absolutely wrecked face - although one opponent did comment after the game that he shouldn’t have persisted in trying to shoot Dengar when he knew there was a return bonus shot coming... :o

Personally, as far as Dengar goes, I feel they could remove the rotate action altogether... he really wants to be flown as a fixed forward arc anyway ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

I mean come onnnnn/ I understand the thing is a hated toilet seat, but wow, this thing is awful to fly. 

No white rotate on my PS2 contracted scout. And only a single sided turret. (Frankly, Idk why anything get double sided turrets, makes no sense) I have to do freaking algebra to plan flight patterns and shot angles. 

And 46 points for the scout??? yikes. 

 

Like it wouldn't kill the game either if it had a non-linked white rotate. (No focus) 

300?cb=20180914020602

The rotate is red because it is a linked action, and it has no native way to rotate mobile firing arc. My major grief is the red barrel-roll, had it been white the JM5K could more easily serve as an interesting large-base blocker, and the poor dial - but that is looked now...

Instead lets us see what can be done: 

+ Gunner-slot (Opens up the possibility to use Dengar crew, or Agile Gunner for a free end of turn rotate, or Han gunner cause he is always good).

+ Illicit slot (giving it two slots so you could run Feedback Array and e.g. Deadmans Switch or Cybernetic Implants, to improve its use as a blocker).

+ New unique astromech which makes barrel-rolls white.  

+ New unique astromech which reduces the difficulty of all 3 maneouvers (including sloops). 

Edited by Sciencius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sciencius said:

300?cb=20180914020602

The rotate is red because it is a linked action, and it has no native way to rotate mobile firing arc. My major grief is the red barrel-roll, had it been white the JM5K could more easily serve as an interesting large-base blocker, and the poor dial - but that is looked now...

Instead lets us see what can be done: 

+ Gunner-slot (Opens up the possibility to use Dengar crew, or Agile Gunner for a free end of turn rotate, or Han gunner cause he is always good).

+ Illicit slot (giving it two slots so you could run Feedback Array and e.g. Deadmans Switch or Cybernetic Implants, to improve its use as a blocker).

+ New unique astromech which makes barrel-rolls white.  

+ New unique astromech which reduces the difficulty of all 3 maneouvers (including sloops). 

Alternative changes could be to remove the torpedo slot and add two missile-slots making it a Barrage-Rocket Carrier. 

As far as I remember Scum does not have such an option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they want they can fix this ship at a later point without errata.

They can give it a white Rotate action and double arc by allowing it to equip a turret upgrade.
Turrets add an extra mobile arc and a white Rotate action. Right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Azrapse said:

If they want they can fix this ship at a later point without errata.

They can give it a white Rotate action and double arc by allowing it to equip a turret upgrade.
Turrets add an extra mobile arc and a white Rotate action. Right?

Perchance errata that if a turret ship takes a turret upgrade it has only the 180 bowtie? I love your idea, just not on board with 2 independent 90 degree turrets on a base

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, player3010587 said:

Perchance errata that if a turret ship takes a turret upgrade it has only the 180 bowtie? I love your idea, just not on board with 2 independent 90 degree turrets on a base

Yeah, that could be an update to the general Rules Reference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think the Jumpmaster has potential, still.  I was flying a Dengaroo list with Outer Rim Pioneer in the Escape Craft and seriously considering it for a tournament.  The only thing that swayed me another way was that the other list I was considering was just more fun to fly.  I'm not giving up on it just yet.  There are still a lot of upsides:

Dengar is I6 and has the potential for a double-tap at any initiative.  All he needs is to be shot at in his front arc, which is likely to be pointed at enemies anyway.  Plus, his double-tap is perform an attack - not perform a primary attack.  If you have locks, you can shoot ProTorps.  See the card for reference (below).

You can fit two of them into a list, and fully kit out each one with points to spare.  I've also included the list for reference.

Manaroo can make obstructed shots with two calculates, and potentially a focus - out any arc, if your positioning is good and the Outer Rim Pioneer is close.

A fully kitted-out Manaroo costs the same as a naked Fenn Rau (at least in this list), for half the initiative, but twice the damage absorption and a turret.

Escape Craft - •Outer Rim Pioneer - 39
    •Outer Rim Pioneer - Skillful Outlaw (28)
        Elusive (3)
        Tactical Officer (2)
        Stealth Device (6)

JumpMaster 5000 - •Manaroo - 68
    •Manaroo - Graceful Aruzan (47)
        Trick Shot (2)
        Adv. Proton Torpedoes (6)
        •IG-88D (4)
        Rigged Cargo Chute (4)
        Hull Upgrade (5)

JumpMaster 5000 - •Dengar - 90
    •Dengar - Vengeful Corellian (58)
        Predator (2)
        Proton Torpedoes (12)
        Inertial Dampeners (1)
        Shield Upgrade (6)
        •Punishing One (8)
        R3 Astromech (3)

Total: 197/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

 

Edited by feltipern1
Content added / removed post for quota limit improvement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Without a really strong errata or 0 cost upgrade to fix them, they should be cheaper. As torpedo ships, ProTorp Y-wings beat them with their cost being low enough to bring 4 of and still have plenty of room for upgrades, with many upsides and the only downsides being one less shield and one less green die. As turret ships, Y-wings again beat them in cost and effectiveness, except they can double tap with VTG, optionally with Ion Cannons. Worse, Y-Wings can equip both ProTorps AND VTG Ion Cannon and still be 5 pts cheaper than a ProTorp Scout.

The only real upsides to the JumpMaster is being a bit tougher and having an I6 pilot. Swarm Tactics Dengar + Swarm Tactics ProTorps Manaroo + ProTorps Scout with optional Munitions Failsafes and IG-88D on Manaroo or L3-37 on whoever for a fat I6 alpha strike list is about the best I can think of to try to make them work without it being done better by other ships.

All JumpMaster pilots should be reduced in cost by 5, as that at least puts Contracted Scouts at the same price as an Ion VTG Y-Wing (which would still better than the Scout), and brings the other Jump pilots to a more attractive price, and is just above the threshold that would allow 5 JumpMaster spam.

 

Edit: A second illicit slot combined with the -5 cost would be great too. BumpMaster Manaroo with Feedback Array + Deadman's Switch + Electronic Baffle for 50 pts would be fun. Lock her on T1, cause bumps, pass Focus tokens, and then when she's down to 1 HP, baffle the lock on her to turn her into a bomb.

Edited by Enigami

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2019 at 10:48 AM, Green Knight said:

After 5-6 games with Dengar-JM I simply gave up.

It's just horrible, and the lack of a white rotate is just one piece of the crap puzzle.

The JM is large base (bad), as a single rotating arc, can take a title that makes the front only a little bit better, only has red rotate - and a dial that hates stress.

Compare this piece of **** to a Y-wing with Ion turret. Lol. 

It's supposed to be a freighter.

Not a starfighter.

Stop whining and leave that horror in the past where it belongs, along with zuckuss pre-nerf of the 1.0. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...