Jump to content
rasmussen81

Clone Wars Terrain

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

With the news of the Clone Wars forces, I know all of our minds started turning toward what terrain we would use for the impending battles! So what are other people thinking? 

Which planets are you going to replicate? Pictures are welcome, already built terrain is even better! At this point I’m looking to expand beyond Endor...

Edited by rasmussen81

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rasmussen81 said:

With the news of the Clone Wars forces, I know all of our minds started turning toward what terrain we would use for the impending battles! So what are other people thinking? 

Which planets are you going to replicate? Pictures are welcome, already built terrain is even better! At this point I’m looking to expand beyond Endor...

I have a temple ruins set up and a tattooine set up, so those will still work well. I'm thinking of getting an ocean mat and trying to build some Kamino terrain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I painted all my guys up to be Jabiim or Mimban, specifically because those planets work for either the GCW or the CW, and can easily be representative of other muddy planets too. (or ****, the Western front 1914-1918 and Italy 1943-44)  I'll just need to add some crashed Republic or Confederacy vehicles, and it'll work fine.  Where to find the models though....

That said, it wouldn't be too hard to do Christophsis, or even Geonosis.  Felucia or Coruscant may take some work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't made up my mind yet, Geonosis is obviously the memorable one out of the prequels. But then I realized the starter box has greivous...so that won't work. Based on what I know he wasn't present for that. And that basing style is a bit too specific of a setting, the red sand. If I make the basing a bit less obviously geonosis then it could also work for Utapaus rocky look. 

Kashyyk or generic forest seems like a good choice, especially if i'm considering the battles of republic commando to be legit. Plenty of variety of forces used there in the early war with phase I clones, and then later on more battles with the phase II. And as far as terrain goes it's hard to screw up forest terrain, there's plenty of ways to make that look good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rammstein117 said:

Kashyyk or generic forest seems like a good choice, especially if i'm considering the battles of republic commando to be legit. Plenty of variety of forces used there in the early war with phase I clones, and then later on more battles with the phase II. And as far as terrain goes it's hard to screw up forest terrain, there's plenty of ways to make that look good.

I’m thinking I’ll create some forest with bright trees and lots of color. It’ll look more alien, I figure.

What’s the difference between phase I and phase II? And when did that change happen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at models to use, and I found this AAT. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/06670-Revell-1-50-Scale-Star-Wars-Clone-Wars-AAT-Battle-droid-Tank-Model-Kit/173569366788?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D56922%26meid%3D5815f67d30094d74ac1e614d0e977185%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D10%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D333075494367%26itm%3D173569366788&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Aae61390c-52eb-11e9-81ba-74dbd18064a1|parentrq%3Aceaf2d451690ac1cba7a9eabfff0f327|iid%3A1

1/50 means it'll be a bit small, but I don't know if it would be overly noticeable, especially if it's just a knocked out wreck.  I'm also looking for a TX-130 Saber tank for a similar purpose.  Found a couple of pictures of a transformer version that might work, but it's hard to tell.  Anyone else have suggestions? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Alpha17 said:

I painted all my guys up to be Jabiim or Mimban, specifically because those planets work for either the GCW or the CW, and can easily be representative of other muddy planets too. (or ****, the Western front 1914-1918 and Italy 1943-44)  I'll just need to add some crashed Republic or Confederacy vehicles, and it'll work fine.  Where to find the models though....

That said, it wouldn't be too hard to do Christophsis, or even Geonosis.  Felucia or Coruscant may take some work. 

I did a similar thing, trying to make the planet seem polluted and gritty. The more grim the setting the better!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FSD said:

I’ve been scouting out some Naboo buildings from Thingiverse  that I’ll likely have a friend print up after I finish fleshing out my Corellian buildings. 

Sounds cool! Any pictures you would be willing to share?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Spending more time on Ebay than I should, and I ran across two models that claim to be in the right range, 1:48.  Naboo Starfighter and Droid Starfighter from Episode I.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-AMT-MODELS-STAR-WARS-EPISODE-1-DROID-FIGHTERS-NABOO-FIGHTER-NEW-SEALED/123707304173?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D56922%26meid%3D06bc11ffd20b47d585b49dc743c89126%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D123447334998%26itm%3D123707304173&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A274de94e-56d9-11e9-9132-74dbd180d70f|parentrq%3Ae86ca40b1690abc665b269aaffff4749|iid%3A1

Arugably not the best Clone Wars units, but I think they could be made to work, either has landed terrain, or crashed fighters.  Now if I could only find an appropriate scale ARC or V-19, I'd be happy. 

 

EDIT: I've also found a model Coporate Alliance Droid, but no official scale ino.  Best guess, which I've found here, is that it's 1/32.  Too big for Legion if true, but I wonder if it could be made to work.

https://lifetoscale.blog/category/starships/star-wars/amtertl-corporate-alliance-droid/

Edited by Alpha17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2019 at 7:04 AM, Alpha17 said:

Looking at models to use, and I found this AAT. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/06670-Revell-1-50-Scale-Star-Wars-Clone-Wars-AAT-Battle-droid-Tank-Model-Kit/173569366788?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D56922%26meid%3D5815f67d30094d74ac1e614d0e977185%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D10%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D333075494367%26itm%3D173569366788&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Aae61390c-52eb-11e9-81ba-74dbd18064a1|parentrq%3Aceaf2d451690ac1cba7a9eabfff0f327|iid%3A1

1/50 means it'll be a bit small, but I don't know if it would be overly noticeable, especially if it's just a knocked out wreck.  I'm also looking for a TX-130 Saber tank for a similar purpose.  Found a couple of pictures of a transformer version that might work, but it's hard to tell.  Anyone else have suggestions? 

 

Pricey, but yeah, this would be an easy candidate for a tear-up model for some "destroyed" tank terrain. I find the differences in scale aren't noticeable if you make it a wreckage and add some surrounding effects.

 

I need to get back to making terrain haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stolen from Facebook (Contact Front Games)

57015659_332209527431045_889469398658161

Too big to be an actual unit, but a Juggernaught would make a helluva cool piece of terrain.  Probably expensive to pick up, but it could be used as terrain for both eras and be canon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alrighty, got the Snail Tank assembled this morning, and it looks like it more or less matches up with what we see in Episode III. 

20190409_093425

 

Compare this to the scene in EP. III where Wookiees blow it up.

 

I'm going to wreck this one (which is a shame, its a nice model) and use it as a knocked out tank on the battlefield.  Probably break off one of the steering tracks and/or guns.  We'll see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After yesterday's success, we were bound for a failure: the AMT Droid Fighters are much too small.
 

20190410_12184420190410_121939

As you can see, they're about the same length as the speeder bike.  According to the reference material I've found, they should be a little over twice as long  Compared to figures, that would about match up as well.  I'd hazard a guess that these guys are closer to 1/96 scale than 1/48.  Oh well, the search continues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would note that a number of the Droid Walkers such as the Octuptarra Droid, and the Crab Droid had multiple sizes. We see the small Octuptarra Droids (about 10 feet) on Utapau, along side crab droids that can easily be jumped atop. On Mygeeto and Chrystophsyys (excuse my spelling) we see Octuptarra droids that are about 10x the size. And on Rodia in the first season of The Clone Wars, we see a crab droid that's probably about 12-15 feet tall.

Also in the Force Unleashed game we saw a wheel from a Hailfire Droid that was clearly too large to be from the typical 27 foot version. 

So ultimately, what I'm getting at, is that the Seperatists have quite a bite of diversity when it comes to vehicle size, which can make vehicle ruins much easier to find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, first Clone Wars terrain piece done:
 

20190413_08120820190413_08122720190413_081247

Basic idea was that it got hit by indirect fire, which blew the track and parts off and left the crater.  I'm going to try and get a game in with it today or tomorrow, and hopefully, get some pictures of it on the table. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Great post! Like you guys, with the upcoming release of the Clone Wars for Star Wars Legion I've been thinking a lot about making a table in this era.

Naboo/Theed is iconic and would make a great board.

I found a few close-up pics of Naboo buildings movie props on Flickr: 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21277108@N05/with/3582277612/

3581456389_37c8f88a48_z.jpg

It looks like Italian/Venetian architecture with dome roofs. I wonder if we could use resin building kits and "just" change the roofs?

Unfortunately I didn't found any commercial set that would fit Naboo's style...

Matt

Edited by Simpleaswar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m thinking of trying some Coruscanti terrain with Lego, since that seems a little more plausible to get looking realistic in Lego.

Felucia would be pretty fun to try out? Probably a harder option, but it would be a nice change of pace from desert, forest, or snow, I’d think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...