azavander

Sprues Advantages/Disadvantages

@TauntaunScout

We do know though that for the extra $10 we have in the new core set: 6 more minis (the larger battledroid squads and the extra droideka configurations), multiple poses for at least Grevious, and hard plastic which may or may not cost marginally more to make.  Straighter pieces are also almost guaranteed, as I think the driving force behind the change is likely to make spindly figures like battledroids practical.  In the current soft plastic every Droid would look like a melted scrap heap.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, GunNut said:

@TauntaunScout

We do know though that for the extra $10 we have in the new core set: 6 more minis

They my fears are temporarily at bay. I didn't realize it was that much more stuff.

every Droid would look like a melted scrap heap.

Nothing more or less than every man jack of them deserves to be.

Edited by TauntaunScout

3 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

To be honest, nothing stops you from using Super glue on plastic miniatures, and I wasn't exactly impressed with all of the bent barrels that don't stay straight after the hot water trick. 

Shock hardening might help. It does for (even softer) boardgame quality PVC.

You simply plunge them into ice water straight from the boiling water.

I guarantee the price will go up. 

I actually don't mind the baggies. The lack of poseability has helped cut down my need for buckets of "bits" and nees for 4 extra boxes of everything in case i need this or one of those etc. I find myself buying only what i need instead of what i think i need

1 hour ago, TauntaunScout said:

They my fears are temporarily at bay. I didn't realize it was that much more stuff.

Nothing more or less than every man jack of them deserves to be.

The B1 Battle Droid and Phase 1 Clone Trooper boxes are both retailing at $25, so I think you won't see an across the board increase.

HUH! First I'd heard about the sprues. Myself, I welcome them; IF this means they're going to polystyrene, a lot easier and more familiar for me to work - as a modeler & miniaturist since, oh, about 1965 or so.

Less detail? Tell that to a Tamiya or Hasegawa builder and they'll slap the game dice right out yo' mouth. Sprues DO also provide greater protection to the parts. The harder plastic is also a lot easier to clean up, like with mold seams.

There are different grades of styrene, though; some are terribly brittle. I expect FFG will use good-quality, but only Release will tell.

As to tools and such, lots of folks use cutters (and I have some), but I use an X-Acto pretty much exclusively; thinner blade means less chance of snapping a tiny part. Cutters are crude, to me. Paint on sprue or off? I usually do off, but it's preference. Many Masters do subassemblies. That, and positioning of the connections... I mean, if the sprue connects to the middle of an arm, it'll leave an unpainted spot when you separate it - get what I'm saying? So take that into account.

FINAL note: polystyrene glue does NOT stick to paint. Or pebbles, twigs, whatever. So plastic joins have to be bare, and base dressing will still have to use superglue/white glue.

3 hours ago, Jedhead said:

I agree that the pathfinders and deathtroopers are better sculpts than we have seen so far. They are definitely bringing their A-game on the last few releases.

That said, they are still a far cry from what you see in, say, GW miniatures. The bent barrels of almost every FFG gun, the ubiquitous (and hard to trim) soft PVC moldlines, and the loss of detail on hands, ammo pouches, etc. are all undeniable. I was recently priming some plastic GW Harlequins and some FFG Pathfinders side-by-side, and the differences were glaring. There is so much more possibility/detail for sculpts using a harder plastic.  In PVC, every single Harlequin sword and accessory would have been warped at funny angles which would never straighten out perfectly. In plastic, they are crisp, detailed, and full of extra options for customization and eventual kitbashes if desired.

Like Albertese above, I also welcome the change to hard plastic and sprues with open arms. I actually was more excited about that than I was about any of the other announcements pertaining to Legion!

I prefer the more flexible, and thus less prone to breaking, side of things.

Which goes to my main worry about the sprues; @TauntaunScout if FFG fails to include a part, or has a damaged one in the package, I have every reason to believe they’ll replace it post haste.

But if it gets damaged from trying to cut it off the Sprue? Why would the company have any onus to do so then, apart from sheer good will? Sprues act to transfer liability for damaged parts from the manufacturer straight to the consumer. And with hard plastic, you can bet your bottom dollar that’s going to happen. It’s not if, but when.

13 minutes ago, Derrault said:

But if it gets damaged from trying to cut it off the Sprue? Why would the company have any onus to do so then, apart from sheer good will? Sprues act to transfer liability for damaged parts from the manufacturer straight to the consumer. And with hard plastic, you can bet your bottom dollar that’s going to happen. It’s not if, but when.

GW generally does it... I see no reason why FFG wouldn't.

26 minutes ago, Derrault said:

I prefer the more flexible, and thus less prone to breaking, side of things.

Which goes to my main worry about the sprues; @TauntaunScout if FFG fails to include a part, or has a damaged one in the package, I have every reason to believe they’ll replace it post haste.

It is not SO difficult, come on... You only need the right tools.

3 minutes ago, Tubb said:

It is not SO difficult, come on... You only need the right tools.

So... will you be buying those $30 flush cut side cutters from Diamond tool?  I think I have an equal amount in paint and tools as I do for the miniatures and I didn't just go wild with my purchases. 

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, GreatMazinkaiser said:

GW generally does it... I see no reason why FFG wouldn't.

The obvious reason, which I already supplied in the post you quoted, being that the user broke the piece, not the company.

@Tubb I have a xacto bladed knife for trimming, although that risks losing significant detail (not to mention the added potential for self injury) from the amount of force required to sheer through.

If they’re comparable to Bloodbowl sprues, I do not at all look forward to the time required in detaching hundreds of brittle and sharp droid parts (literally the worst of both worlds). Edit: Assembly time just quintupled, great!

Edited by Derrault

The principal benefit that I'm looking forward to is how much easier the harder plastic is to convert, especially when it's in more numerous bits on a sprue.

I like the current plastic that FFG uses but I won't miss it at all. I noticed just yesterday that one of my DLT troopers, who has been packed neatly in a foam tray for months, has begun to have his weapon barrel warp.

1 hour ago, John79 said:

So... will you be buying those $30 flush cut side cutters from Diamond tool?  I think I have an equal amount in paint and tools as I do for the miniatures and I didn't just go wild with my purchases. 

Assembly only requires an exacto knife and a needle file or two. 

11 hours ago, Albertese said:

Will they take longer to build having to cut them of a sprue? Hardly. Especially when you consider the savings in time spent looking for little parts that roll out of the bag. 

Sprues are a hundred times better than baggies and I applaud this decision. 

You must be a sprue wizard. I've been assmebling and painting minis for 40+ years (several 1000s of minis) and sprues just simply take at least twice as long to assemble, usually a lot more.

I think the detail on the current Legion bagged minis is great, especially for tabletop play.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, John79 said:

My cutters are a scissors... they work nice if you are carefull, and my file is stolen from my wife nails arsenal...

Edited by Tubb

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Thraug said:

You must be a sprue wizard. I've been assmebling and painting minis for 40+ years (several 1000s of minis) and sprues just simply take at least twice as long to assemble, usually a lot more.

I think the detail on the current Legion bagged minis is great, especially for tabletop play.

I don't agree, building the speeder bike was way worse and time consuming than if it had been in a sprue. And I glued a piece the wrong way because the guide is horrible... It is a matter of doing things right or quickly, not both. And pkease Google and look at any Knight Models star wars mini, come back here, and say loudly that FFG minis have great detail if you dare XD

Edited by Tubb

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Derrault said:

The obvious reason, which I already supplied in the post you quoted, being that the user broke the piece, not the company.

@Tubb I have a xacto bladed knife for trimming, although that risks losing significant detail (not to mention the added potential for self injury) from the amount of force required to sheer through.

If they’re comparable to Bloodbowl sprues, I do not at all look forward to the time required in detaching hundreds of brittle and sharp droid parts (literally the worst of both worlds). Edit: Assembly time just quintupled, great!

What is the rush do you all have???????????????? It is a game, come on!!! 

Hundreds of pieces? Yes, please!! But offered inside a sprue, not sent in a bag where I can loose small parts or long pieces can be bent.

And if the knife or scissors or whatever is really SHARP it is not dangerous to use it, it cuts smoothly, the problem is when the tool is not in good shape, you put more effort than needed and so you can't control where the edge goes, usually your fingers. 

Edited by Tubb

If I can glue the new sprue models together with testors blue non toxic glue i'll never look back. I can't stand superglue, it's runny, burns my eyes/nostrils, if it gets on my fingers then it's a nightmare. I glue together bolt action models, half tracks all sorts of stuff using testors blue. 

I highly doubt they will be as complex or annoying as GW sprues. The issue with GW stuff is they detail and design everything, there's stuff sticking out every which direction. The clone troopers will probably be like bolt action US airborne, but more simple cause you don't have the ammo pouches, backpacks, shovels etc. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

GW is real hit or miss. The customer service varies wildly from red carpet treatment to absolutely none. 

In my GW store they simply give you bits that you need, because they know that if you want that captain, but with a chainsaw, the chainsaw will make you buy the captain. Clever. 

Edited by Tubb

28 minutes ago, Tubb said:

What is the rush do you all have???????????????? It is a game, come on!!! 

Hundreds of pieces? Yes, please!! But offered inside a sprue, not sent in a bag where I can loose small parts or long pieces can be bent.

And if the knife or scissors or whatever is really SHARP it is not dangerous to use it, it cuts smoothly, the problem is when the tool is not in good shape, you put more effort than needed and so you can't control where the edge goes, usually your fingers. 

You’re right of course, I should have been using my nanoblade-knife this whole time.  🙄

As to your complaint about the baggies, I’ve literally never lost a piece with them, and they make it easy to quickly assemble several boxes in a row; sprues pretty much make that impossible. 

I’ve never lost a piece in legion but one of the arm joiners for a snowtrooper had extra material (just snipped it off with scissors) and one snwotrooper, different box this time, had the wrong legs but a bit of snipping and they fit even if they look a bit off

13 hours ago, KrisWall said:

The B1 Battle Droid and Phase 1 Clone Trooper boxes are both retailing at $25, so I think you won't see an across the board increase.

The Droidekas might be more than the speeder bikes, on account of being four models (2×walking + 2×rolling)

13 hours ago, John79 said:

I paid the equivalent of 5 dollars for quality flush side cutters...