Tealadin

Clone Wars Unit Request & Speculation

Maul is incredibly overrated, and during the Clone Wars didn't really work for either of the factions being introduced.  I'm sure they will include him eventually, but the longer til that happens, the happier I'll be.

2 hours ago, Alpha17 said:

Maul is incredibly overrated, and during the Clone Wars didn't really work for either of the factions being introduced.  I'm sure they will include him eventually, but the longer til that happens, the happier I'll be.

Overrated seems a bit extreme to me.  While he was never a full Sith Lord, he was definitely a more powerful Dark Side Warrior than Ventress.  The point about him not belonging to any established faction does raise an interesting point.  Could be be seeing a multi-period Scum faction in the near future?

image.jpeg.cfc0b5b97da3423755424fe2f53132f1.jpeg

21 hours ago, Paladin Ignatius said:

Overrated seems a bit extreme to me.  While he was never a full Sith Lord, he was definitely a more powerful Dark Side Warrior than Ventress.  The point about him not belonging to any established faction does raise an interesting point.  Could be be seeing a multi-period Scum faction in the near future?

image.jpeg.cfc0b5b97da3423755424fe2f53132f1.jpeg

Ventress at least knew the limits of her power.  On occasion, she was able to kill Jedi and then escape, just as a good assassin should.  Maul, on the other hand, was "killed" by a Padawan in his first appearance (not counting his books for this.  Hypocritical, but bear with me), was routinely defeated during TCW, will be defeated by a former Padawan-but-still-not-a-Jedi (Ahsoka) in the upcoming episodes, and was finally killed (hopefully) for good by Obi in about 3 seconds.  His "power" seems to be his popularity with fans, not anything in-universe.  

As for a separate Scum faction, while I'm far more willing to entertain such a faction now than I was a year ago, I really hope they give the Clone Wars a year of releases before even announcing another faction, especially one that really doesn't fit the wargame model. 

1 minute ago, Alpha17 said:

Ventress at least knew the limits of her power.  On occasion, she was able to kill Jedi and then escape, just as a good assassin should.  Maul, on the other hand, was "killed" by a Padawan in his first appearance (not counting his books for this.  Hypocritical, but bear with me), was routinely defeated during TCW, will be defeated by a former Padawan-but-still-not-a-Jedi (Ahsoka) in the upcoming episodes, and was finally killed (hopefully) for good by Obi in about 3 seconds.  His "power" seems to be his popularity with fans, not anything in-universe.  

As for a separate Scum faction, while I'm far more willing to entertain such a faction now than I was a year ago, I really hope they give the Clone Wars a year of releases before even announcing another faction, especially one that really doesn't fit the wargame model. 

I'm don't think that Ventress is a stronger Dark Side Warrior, but she is definitely more self-aware.  However, it is Maul's lack of higher level awareness that what makes him so powerful.  His lack of inhibitions means he is capable of any act, which makes him a very dangerous individual to deal with in any situation.  Also, I do think his death at Kenobi's hands will be permanent.  Maul's arch nemesis is Kenobi, so it makes sense that he dies fighting him.

As for your thoughts on a Scum faction, while I agree that it would be better if FFG waited a year before making one, I disagree that it doesn't fit the wargame model.

Related image

Image result for star wars black sun syndicate

Black Sun and the Pyke Syndicate, anyone?

1 hour ago, Alpha17 said:

Also you’re skipping the part where he overthrew ******* Mandalore.

Was it the weak, pacifist, nucanon Mandalore? Sure. But still.

I am pretty sure Maul will be in the CIS faction, considering FFG put him there in X-Wing. He would fit well in a scum faction as well though. 

6 minutes ago, Vode said:

I am pretty sure Maul will be in the CIS faction, considering FFG put him there in X-Wing. He would fit well in a scum faction as well though. 

I would love to see Maul as an operative for the CIS and a commander for a scum faction. I think if a character shows up in multiple factions, it should be different in some way.

20 minutes ago, Darth 2Face said:

I would love to see Maul as an operative for the CIS and a commander for a scum faction. I think if a character shows up in multiple factions, it should be different in some way.

Nice thought, but if they do Scum I’d tend to think Boba and Bossk would still be Operatives. And honestly they could just take those existing characters and give them another faction.

Another interesting dynamic for Scum—prequel era vs OT era? Will they just have it be one faction and ignore those kind of “issues”? I mean you’re already goin to see CIS vs Empire, Rebel vs Rebel, etc.

33 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

Also you’re skipping the part where he overthrew ******* Mandalore.

Was it the weak, pacifist, nucanon Mandalore? Sure. But still.

Well, yeah.  Didn't fit my narrative, so naturally, I didn't include it.  😜 

And if we're going to include every rando that takes over a formerly glorious state, we'd be here for days.  Mas Amedda Imperial commander, here we come!  Snoke commander, with torso separating action!  Imperial Warlord #1138 operative!

tbh i wanted to see different things .. yeah droids tanks that all know possibily dooku and anakin will make an appearance, but would be cool to show unknown things or characters for the game. still hope maul gets in game prequel or ot material.

5 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

Nice thought, but if they do Scum I’d tend to think Boba and Bossk would still be Operatives. And honestly they could just take those existing characters and give them another faction.

Another interesting dynamic for Scum—prequel era vs OT era? Will they just have it be one faction and ignore those kind of “issues”? I mean you’re already goin to see CIS vs Empire, Rebel vs Rebel, etc.

I would agree that Boba and Bossk should still be operatives, but I would love something that differentiates them from the imperial version. It would be cool if FFG did something like they did when scum was first introduced in X-Wing with the Most Wanted expansion that converted existing ships to scum. A card pack that converted existing Legion figures to scum would be great, although currently other than Boba and Bossk there isn't anything I would include in a scum faction (maybe the Rebel landspeeder).

1 hour ago, Darth 2Face said:

A card pack that converted existing Legion figures to scum would be great, although currently other than Boba and Bossk there isn't anything I would include in a scum faction (maybe the Rebel landspeeder).

Maybe an alternate factions pack? I  can't see Wookiees in Scum, but I can see them in Republic and Bossk (unchanged from Imperial profile) under CIS. 

3 hours ago, FearofaBlankPlanet said:

If Naboo becomes its own faction, would we see Qui-Gon? 

I could see FFG having enough source material to do Theed & Gungans as their own unified force later down the line. 

I have made it known for a long time that I love Episode 1, so with that I say, Qui-Gon and Young Obi-Wan please and thank you. I'd also love Royal Naboo Security. Gian and Flash speeders, I just love their whole aesthetic. 

26 minutes ago, BlueSquadronPilot said:

I have made it known for a long time that I love Episode 1, so with that I say, Qui-Gon and Young Obi-Wan please and thank you. I'd also love Royal Naboo Security. Gian and Flash speeders, I just love their whole aesthetic. 

Yes to all of the above with a sideorder of Naboo N-1 starfighters  :)

I like the Gungan's organic aesthetic too; Gungan Catapults and kaadu riders would be great to see.

4 hours ago, FearofaBlankPlanet said:

If Naboo becomes its own faction, would we see Qui-Gon? 

I could see FFG having enough source material to do Theed & Gungans as their own unified force later down the line. 

Naboo forces such as the Gungans acted as auxiliary forces for the Grand Army of the Republic, never as a separate military force.  I think these units would be support or special forces options, but not a separate faction.

15 minutes ago, Paladin Ignatius said:

Naboo forces such as the Gungans acted as auxiliary forces for the Grand Army of the Republic, never as a separate military force.  I think these units would be support or special forces options, but not a separate faction.

There has been talk from the developers apparently, of SUB factions.   Which honestly makes sense.   Geonisians, Umbarans, Wookies, gungans, all have enough to make an army of by themselves.   There are people that would play the thematic armies above as well.   Now I am not saying that these thematic sub factions should be better than the republic as a whole, or anywhere near as comprehensive, only that they have just enough to fully field as an army.   

37 minutes ago, Paladin Ignatius said:

During the Clone Wars, certainly. But the blockade and subsequent battle of Naboo was separate and showed Naboo's combined forces acting independently of the Republic. 

It's the TPM-era Naboo I can see as its own faction, with both Theed and Gungans (although players going for theme can just concentrate on having one of the two, like how some players are building Hoth or Scarif-themed armies). 

2 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

There has been talk from the developers apparently, of SUB factions.   Which honestly makes sense.   Geonisians, Umbarans, Wookies, gungans, all have enough to make an army of by themselves.   There are people that would play the thematic armies above as well.   Now I am not saying that these thematic sub factions should be better than the republic as a whole, or anywhere near as comprehensive, only that they have just enough to fully field as an army.   

If this is the case, I would love to play a Mandolorian/Death Watch army.  And I KNOW there are people who would support it just so they could kill Ewoks and Gungans.

15 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

If mini sub factions become a thing, I hold out hope for Night Sisters with a Mother Talzin commander option (that could be a sweet figure).

With some interesting rules too. I probably wouldn’t buy them but I’d be interested to see how resurrection and life stealing would work

1 hour ago, Jabby said:

With some interesting rules too. I probably wouldn’t buy them but I’d be interested to see how resurrection and life stealing would work

Ooo like a reverse Deflection ability?