Crabbok

Armada's Future - Brighter than Ever!

3 minutes ago, Crabbok said:

Before I start - yes I know I'm an Armada Fanboy - but with that aside - honestly this game has SUCH a bright future ahead of it!

• SSD Pushed back to Q3 which is a bummer, but when it DOES arrive it's going to mean so much... Biggest Miniature in FFG's history! New Ship Category!  Most impressive piece of Plastic ever!
  • Sector Fleet just came out so new formats for now!
  • New Campaign means new Squadrons AND new upgrades for BOTH factions!  Also coming in Q3 which means we actually WON'T leave rebels totally in the dust!
  • Smaller games coming with new campaign means perhaps some more enjoyable FASTER formats!  200 point lists, 3'x3' play areas! More accessible to new players!
  • Confirmation that NEW SHIPS ARE in development!   SHIP(S)!   Plural!  
  • Lots of Armada questions today at Adepticon - EVEN while the majority of Armada players were competing at Worlds!  

And of course more pressure for Clone Wars - especially with it's success in X-Wing and the incredible hype for Legion - it's SURE to come to Armada!  With smaller formats too, like the 200 point lists ideas... it might be even more accessible to new players!  

Seriously there is so much to be excited about!   

Stand up and shout!  

I noticed that last bullet in particular as well...there were a TON of Armada questions compared to what I was expecting!

I am so excited I jumped back on here to peruse the forums, which I have not done much of late.

As to your closing directive:

DOES THIS COUNT AS SHOUTING?

That campaign box really looks like something.

28 upgrade cards?!

I mean...****.  There is only, what...(checks VASSAL library)...about 150 total at the moment?

And objectives are, of course, the core of Armada and what really defines it and sets it apart in a great way from FFG's other games.  So...getting 12 more standard objectives is wow.  Takes us to 36 from 24 - 50% gain there.

More Rogues and Villains I'm so-so on.

But the campaign itself focused on 200 pt battles that play in 3'x3' area?  Oh, man.  This campaign is going to see a LOOOOOT of play!

13 minutes ago, ISD Avenger said:

Great to see the game getting some much needed attention. A bit bummed that there was no new ships but something is better than nothing I guess.

I see this as them having spent a huge amount of energy on Legion and X-wing 2.0 over the past two years. They were unsure of which lines to continue and where to move forward in their mini lines. Runewars got cut and Armada, after deliberation and the realization that they needed to put resources into a game IF they decided to continue it, made it. 

Posted (edited)

I'm excited to see the card only upgrade packs for Legion w/ the confirmation there is hope to bring them into other games including Armada. Good for the cost of entry and expands on their unofficial new philosophy of ending cross faction buying on all miniature games. Plus not having to buy 2 factions in 1 game allows buying 1 faction each in 2 different games. 

Edited by codytx2

While a new campaign is cool, and something I've been hoping for as it adds a lot of content without even needing new models, I think we still need to address a major issue here.

SSD pushed back to Q3 2019.  The campaign is Q3 2019.  X-wing is in a major expansion phase, as is Legion.  The chances of us getting anything else in 2019 besides these 2 items is slim.  That means potentially 2 solid years or more with no actual waves of content.  That is a little sad.

13 minutes ago, kmanweiss said:

While a new campaign is cool, and something I've been hoping for as it adds a lot of content without even needing new models, I think we still need to address a major issue here.

SSD pushed back to Q3 2019.  The campaign is Q3 2019.  X-wing is in a major expansion phase, as is Legion.  The chances of us getting anything else in 2019 besides these 2 items is slim.  That means potentially 2 solid years or more with no actual waves of content.  That is a little sad.

Here's how I see it:

Why do we want "Waves" of content?
Because they provide shakeups to play the game.  The standard tournament style game, right?

The Campaign does that.  Provides Real, Expansive, Tangible ways to play the standard game...  In big ways.

For Meta Shakeup, its potentially better than a Wave Itself...  Especially since this Campaign (unlike the CC) also includes REGULAR UPGRADES...

Just now, Drasnighta said:

Here's how I see it:

Because they provide shakeups to play the game.  The standard tournament style game, right?

The Campaign does that.  Provides Real, Expansive, Tangible ways to play the standard game...  In big ways.

For Meta Shakeup, its potentially better than a Wave Itself...  Especially since this Campaign (unlike the CC) also includes REGULAR UPGRADES...

Exactly this. There is probably more in this expansion to shake up and change the meta than any previous wave given the number of upgrade cards and new objectives available. That's what really keeps the game fresh!

15 minutes ago, kmanweiss said:

Well, technically @Crabbok only said that the future was bright.  So even though our past has sucked, and our present sucks, and our immediate future sucks... in like 6 months it'll be a bit better and we'll get 1 new ship and a new campaign pack!  All is well, all is forgiven, all hail the Armada.

1 hour ago, Crabbok said:
  • New Campaign means new Squadrons AND new upgrades for BOTH factions!  Also coming in Q3 which means we actually WON'T leave rebels totally in the dust!
  • Smaller games coming with new campaign means perhaps some more enjoyable FASTER formats!  200 point lists, 3'x3' play areas! More accessible to new players!

Campaign and smaller game sizes are a big plus for me.  I’m also excited for potential X-Wing cross over (home brew of course); as we heard it’s about to scale up with Epic 2.0 which seemingly is geared to mission/scenario/story/campaign play like Armada.

6 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Well, technically @Crabbok only said that the future was bright.  So even though our past has sucked, and our present sucks, and our immediate future sucks... in like 6 months it'll be a bit better and we'll get 1 new ship and a new campaign pack!  All is well, all is forgiven, all hail the Armada.

Weren’t you going to sleep for 9 months?

Without being facetious at all, the end of this year will be the biggest release Armada has had since wave 2, or possibly even the biggest release of all time.

From the campaign:

28 new upgrade cards.

12 new objective cards.

8 new squadrons.

From the SSD:

12 new upgrade cards.

2 new ship cards

And for special scenarios and whatnot we get:

2 additional new ship cards (the 400+ SSDs)

11 new objective cards

1 complete campaign

Yes, this is lighter on the total number of new hulls than past waves, but keep in mind that there is a limited number of configurations of different hulls, dice, and upgrade slots that can make a ship interesting and unique. Each new ship, sans upgrades, adds less and less to Armada. Only new upgrades really bring in big change at this point in Armada's life. The SSD is a significant outlier, being something that for better or for worse, is radically different from all other existing ships.

So yes, I think this holiday season is the second biggest release we have ever had. Only wave 2 will probably go down in history as being a bigger splash.

25 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

Weren’t you going to sleep for 9 months?

The only way this forum could be more divided than it is right now is if we were talking politics. This is a seriously sad state of affairs...

6 minutes ago, IronNerd said:

The only way this forum could be more divided than it is right now is if we were talking politics. This is a seriously sad state of affairs...

Or you could realize that Allwings is a huge freaking troll that brings negativity with him everywhere he goes. This forum isn't the problem, he is. 

2 minutes ago, LostFleet said:

I wonder if there are any common cards between SSD 12 upgrade cars and Rim's 28 cards.

nevertheless, this fall will be exciting with SSD, Rim Campaign and Episode IX :)

Ah that would be an interesting strategy, I hadn't thought about that. I'm assuming that all of the upgrades in the campaign are unique, so that people aren't expected to buy multiple campaigns. But it would be nice of them to give people an opportunity to get some of the unique imperial officers that would otherwise only be available in the $200 SSD. But for die hard likes most of us on the forum, it would be a disappointment because we will just buy everything no matter what.

Posted (edited)

I'm going to be honest and say that I'm just slightly more excited to have a campaign set that includes standard upgrades like this than I am for another Rebel or Imp ship. 

I love using the ships we have. And I love getting so many new ways to play with what we have.

Edited by Quadro28

16 minutes ago, BrobaFett said:

Or you could realize that Allwings is a huge freaking troll that brings negativity with him everywhere he goes. This forum isn't the problem, he is. 

*sigh* It's more than one person or one post Broba. It's been a problem for a while. Differing opinions are not tolerated here, and that is depressing to me. Growth comes from civil discourse, not talking down to and/or mocking people who don't agree with you.

1 hour ago, Drasnighta said:

Here's how I see it:

I think the only reason so many assumed we weren't getting another campaign was because - way back when the SSD was first teased (IIRC, that 'something big is coming' announcement), Q&A at that convention asked if we were getting a new campaign and FFG said a flat-out 'no, we aren't working on that'.  Which was firm enough vs their usual 'we can't talk about that at this time' that we all just assumed CC was it.

Because otherwise, I mean, yeah...campaign kit is WAY BETTER for the game than new plastic.  WAAAAAYYYYYYY better.  We had just told been told it wasn't happening, so...

Just now, IronNerd said:

*sigh* It's more than one person or one post Broba. It's been a problem for a while. Differing opinions are not tolerated here, and that is depressing to me. Growth comes from civil discourse, not talking down to and/or mocking people who don't agree with you.

Let me put it like this I'm fine with differing opinions (I. E. I'm a little disappointed that all they announced is a new campaign because x y and z etc.) 

This.... 

1 hour ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

With excessive amounts of Uncalled for negativity and sarcasm is just dumb....

Clearly @AllWingsStandyingBy doesn't like this game or something. Or if he does he doesn't act like it.... 

I just hope local folks are still interested when Q3 arrives. 1.5 years of no product when a new games has 50+ releases in the same period doesn't bode well for interest from players. Just stating what I see locally. Thankfully I enjoy playing Legion too. Back to the battlefield! 😛