millertime059

Jedi pilot opinions

So now that we’ve had a week, let’s see what people are feeling about the different Jedi pilots

my personal ranking:

The top trio, always worth using, can fit into any* squad type

Ahsoka - the great enabler. Can work well into almost any list. With just the CLT comes in at 51 for an nice support ship that can be hard to pin down, and do some work. Pair with at least two heavy hitters and either fly solo as a flanker or in a squad. Have always felt her worth her points (except when my green dice fail me after a droid I blocked shoots natties and my dice blank)

Obi Wan - I5 with a great ability. The focus is great for those turns you need it.

Anakin - I6 with ok ability. Double reposition I6 is inherently good, but price holds him down

Great, in the right setup 

Plo - like him with R2 and CLT, as his ability works best as support not heavy hitter. Pairs well with Seventh Fleet Gunner Arcs. Double modded 4 dice attacks or the ability to 7FG every turn isn’t a small thing. Needs to build with squad in mind.

Mace  - Good ability, can fight well. Held back somewhat by I4, but solid all around. Would be higher but for personal preference

potentially good, but abilities hard to make the most of

Saeese Tin - like Plo, but more so. Really requires the right squad build, and care to maximize. Maybe amazing in the right squad, useless in the wrong. With a pair of I5-6 R4 Jedi perhaps?

Bariss - cool ability, one force. With two force probably near Plo tier. Like a poor mans Paloatine, except on a 43 point base ship.

The I thought you would be better tier

Luminara - ugh. You should be good. But you’re not. Perhaps it’s been a factor of opponents lists, but despite consistently meeting the criteria for her ability, it’s actual utility has been low. Curt to hit is… not amazing, and hit to focus doesn’t do much when you aren’t able to deny focus tokens. Which requires more ships. Which, yeah. But perhaps Perceptive Benthic and Han and Oicun are particularly poor matchups, as blocking has little effect on them. Bah, whatever it is the games I’ve had her ability has been near useless. Maybe I’ll try her more, but god forbid they ever bring Expertise back and she’ll never see play again.

Why?

Jedi Knight - more than generic inquisitor. Worse in several respects. Nope, find the points for a named pilot or use a Torrent with a missile. Odd Ball is surprisingly good.

There it is, my highly subjective rankings. Most feel worthwhile, while a few feel amazing. Maybe I’ve just had bad matchups with Luminara. Anyhow, what’s your thoughts on the pilots?

*points permitting, Anakin

Anakin - quite expensive and I'm not that much sold on his ability.

Obi - great for... reasons

Plo -  can do some crazy things or not... depending on your list and your opponent

Ahsoka -useful, even at I3

Mace - I just find great, slap hightened perception, 7B  and R4-P17 on him and he is just beast. Probably my favourite pilot of all, good ability, 3 force and solid price.

Saesee - maybe useful, playing him, Mace and Lumi with hightened perc each against 4xI5 squadron was really strong but moving first didn't net me use his ability once, still I didn't need it.

Luminara - I found her to be quite good. The turns I didn't use HP and shot second made my opponent use his focus/force to push more damage trough or just settle with one hit which I evaded. Less useful when I engaged at I7.

Barriss - That one force is just bad and too expensive to even consider her in a list for me as I see Luminara just better.

Jedi Knight - 3x with Battle meditation, R3 and 7B were quite solid but not that great I won against high ini rebel list but my opponent just rolled bad. And as a support ship with cheap battle meditation pretty solid. But I agree, better to find points for named pilots with atleast 2 force.

Edited by UndeadCrusader

Just the one's I've played

Jedi Knight - I really like the Jedi's inherit Force+FTC, esp combined with CLT. With the aggressive CLT scalling, JK are by far the cheapest way to accomplish this package. The strategy is to get try to get BE naturally or via blocking instead of repo, or make high Ini repo to avoid it. Have been very happy with the BE rates and repos forced for the price paid. With the FTC force cost + scaling pts cost, I totally disagree with the typical "BE is only good on high-PS who can repo into it" paradigm for the Jedi's

Luminara - She's pretty good, you basically need a flow chart to figure out if you need to save the force for her ability or not, but there are definitely cases where you do and I've been seeing them 2-3x per game. And each time is basically +1 shield on a key target. Feels esp good when you cancel a hit and cause a crit to go into a shield. Great deal considering you are prob only paying ~1-2 for her ability (factoring in I4 and +1 Force)

Bariss - more situational than Luminara and only 1 force, seems like he should more than 1pt cheaper. But probably still makes sense if you're running 3-4 BE effects, at which point the set of wingmate(s) with BE and the set of wingmate(s) that you'd really like to give a token start develop high overlap.

Mace - Decent but prob a bit overrated. His self-mod focused econ fits more what people are used to bit I think that may be a bit of a trap.

Saesee - Maybe in a list with 2x I5s or I5/I6, ability is too marginal otherwise, and really needs everyone to have R4 effectively making him pretty expensive, not as big dealt if you like R4 on Delta's regardless (I dont personally). I do have him in a 4x I4 list just for Ini and the extra force though.

Edited by prauxim

I’m glad you’ve been getting on with Luminara. I can totally buy that her disappointment may be down to particularly bad matchups. Seriously, Benthic and Han are basically impossible to prevent focus on. Literally the only time it triggered usefully was when I reduced a shot because he needed to keep the focus to Bistan double tap.

He also had Seasoned Navigator in Han and Leia crew. 

Blocking that in a 3 ship list is impossible. So changing a hit to a focus is like a fart in the wind.

Yeah could definitely be the matchup. Everyone in my area is playing new stuff, could be that she just better against lists that depend on focus/calc since worst case she can force a token spend.

But even if they have focus and they roll natties you can force a spend. I figure she only needs to average 2 clearly good uses per game long term to be a consideration over a JK, and for reason's mentioned I'm fine with JK as a benchmark. I guess time will tell if I hit that average.

Edited by prauxim

Sure. But it was basically every opportunity I could trigger it, which was often, the answer was ‘they already have a focus result and will spend the token anyhow for 3 hits, better to save for defense’

and then I roll evade blank and have two force and a focus left at the end of the round every time 😝

4 minutes ago, prauxim said:

Man, that ability. I would happily trade that ability for decent flavor text.

Indeed. It's sad too, I was hoping he would have a good ace style ability like Anakin. When I saw the ability I figure his real ability would be being a cheap I5 like Tali. Upon seeing his points, nope he's just bad.

Man, I get it, but when you take a turn where you hid Plo at, or beyond, range 3 due to some tactical factor (debris and proton bomb in my case, with Scum Han the opponent so being behind, or on but not completely over, the debris = super bad) and use Plo’s Ability to give your Arc a double modded 4 die shot to just strip the Falcon’s shields it feels super good. Or when you move Plo into an intentional blocking position and use his ability to recharge Seventh Fleet Gunner and still allow your big gun a shot?

Did both last night. Don’t sleep on his ability! Slap R2 and CLT and when you think you’re can R2 and take weapons disabled from another ship too. It’s good. In the right list, of course.

In Germany we don’t have the guardians of republic expansion available yet...😔

Nevertheless I played Ashoka and Anakin

Ahsoka: I played her with 7b title because I think that CLT is not worth the points on an I3 ship. I really enjoyed flying her and think that she’s in a good spot. Her action economy is awesome with the opportunity for focus/lock each turn. The other big benefit is, that she can perform an action while stressed. 

Anakin: was a blast to fly. Played him with 7b title and the regen Astromech. He comes in at 82 points that way. He can deal serious damage, can dodge Arcs with double reposition and can soak up damage. In the 4 games I played with him, he never dropped to half points. And his ability is amazing! 

Basically I'd rank the Delta-7 pilots like so:

1) Anakin and Mace are both really good.
2) Obi-Wan, Luminara and Ahsoka are all solid.
3) Plo, Saesee and the Knight are niche, but can be OK in the right list.
4) Barriss is just Bad.

As for builds; the more I play the Delta-7's, the more I'm convinced Delta-7B and R2 Astromech are auto-include on them. Anakin likes afterburners if you can spare the points, and an argument can be made for R4/R4-P17 on Mace. None of the force upgrades have proved to be worth their points investment though.

Edited by CRCL

4 hours ago, CRCL said:

Basically I'd rank the Delta-7 pilots like so:

1) Anakin and Mace are both really good.
2) Obi-Wan, Luminara and Ahsoka are all solid.
3) Plo, Saesee and the Knight are niche, but can be OK in the right list.
4) Barriss is just Bad.

As for builds; the more I play the Delta-7's, the more I'm convinced Delta-7B and R2 Astromech are auto-include on them. Anakin likes afterburners if you can spare the points, and an argument can be made for R4/R4-P17 on Mace. None of the force upgrades have proved to be worth their points investment though.

Almost agree, to me, its like:

Tier 0 (autoinclude) Anakin 

Tier 1 (really good) Mace, Ahsoka

Tier 2 (playable) Obi Wan

Tier 4 (have to build around) Plo, Saesee, Knight

Tier 5 (dont play) Bariss

After testing, 7B is the way to go for your aces. R2 is good for your aces. I never have points left for something fancy despite these two.

CLT is a trap, its nice to have, but never makes up its cost. Unless you play CLT and 7th for 5 Damage Wombo Combo Turn. But personally, im not into Wombo Combo, i like beeing flexible. And the opportunity cost for CLT, making you position badly to get the extra eyeball, can lose you games, and makes you move predictable.