Sign in to follow this  
Thaeggan

I don't understand the app hate

Seen a number of threads elsewhere hating on the app requirement for this game. I do understand people want to remove technology from parts of their day. However, for a game that is a choose your own adventure, putting specific map tiles down and enemies, I do not see how you can avoid it.

I'd like to see the response people give when they are handed pages upon pages of directions and dialogue for different scenarios and paths people can take vs an app.

I personally would rather have my eyes glancing at an app showing me what to do, than burying my face in a book trying to make sure I read and did the instruction correctly.

It depends on how the game is managed, in Mansion of Madness the players have no choices but they are only spectators of the events ... Here I hope they leave more freedom and subquesting.

You need a PC, you need to bring with you the PC when you go play the game by your friends, you need a plug, you need space on a table to host it, you need to find a way to show the screen of the PC to all the players (and the stream was unable to show how), ...

The 3 Descent POD expantions were quite a better solution for a BOARDGAME. Forthermore, they could have been made more flexible in quite an easy way 😞

3 hours ago, tibia said:

You need a PC, you need to bring with you the PC when you go play the game by your friends, you need a plug, you need space on a table to host it, you need to find a way to show the screen of the PC to all the players (and the stream was unable to show how), ...

The 3 Descent POD expantions were quite a better solution for a BOARDGAME. Forthermore, they could have been made more flexible in quite an easy way 😞

The designers said the app would be available on iOS, Android, Steam, etc.

The issue of letting everyone in on the action is still there.

It will be one person narrating the others using the app while the rest is in the dark since damage etc is only tracked on the app.

In that aspect the IA system for the app is more including since everyone is more included in what is going on, with the dice rolling for enemies and damage tokens on the board.

Edited by DarthJalapeno

Boardgame apps are here to stay, and Journeys in Middle Earth won't be the last title to require one. While there's nothing wrong with not liking apps, any serious arguments that games shouldn't include them are now dead.

As for this game, after watching the live play through, I suspect that its app may be the best boardgame app ever, above "Mansions of Madness". 

19 hours ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

The designers said the app would be available on iOS, Android, Steam, etc.

So have I to buy also a tablet to play this game??? A phone is clearly too small for a shared cooperative experience,

1 minute ago, Thaeggan said:

Thinking about it now, we still can, the app doesnt know whether you discard cards from your deck or roll dice for successes

I was thinking that same thing.  I was hoping they had alternative rules for it.  I like a little RNG

5 minutes ago, docForsaken said:

I was thinking that same thing.  I was hoping they had alternative rules for it.  I like a little RNG

My experience with dice is this in other games.

example game mechanic, 3+ to hit, then 2+ to do damage.

I either roll no hits or I get hits and then roll all ones doing no damage. Dice can burn in he11. 

Edited by Thaeggan
apparently he11 is a bad word.

22 hours ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

Well, you seemed fine with the logistics involved with using a PC. ;)

Buying a tablet will just slightly improve the logistics, but it will definitely "improve" the cost of the game 😉

Anyway, the market will tell us if this is a "good" solution. 🙂

Many many years ago there was a boardgame called Atmosfear which tried to introduce the support of VCR cassettes: it was a clear flop 🙂

I am not sure what the concern is either. For people who do not like app supported games, they should play games that are not app supported. There are a lot of games that I do not enjoy. Desert themed games I have always found quite boring, but I do not go on forums to hate on them, I just don't play them.

I think the people who do not like the idea of the app, are more concerned that there is a game coming out that has a theme they enjoy, but is not actually the game that they want. If that is the case, just play a different game.

"Purist" board gamers rage against Apps in the same way the Amish rage against anything not made of wood. (I know nothing about the Amish, and this statement is meant as a sarcastic contrast, not a slight on the Amish people)

They don't get the appeal, or don't think that it's the "correct" way to play.

If you don't want to use an App with this game, don't buy the game.

Go get one of the myriad of other Lord of the Rings themed games, or one of the myriad explore/adventure style games.

You don't want an app? Don't come complaining here that it has an App.

Simples.

20 hours ago, Nanich said:

I think the people who do not like the idea of the app, are more concerned that there is a game coming out that has a theme they enjoy, but is not actually the game that they want. If that is the case, just play a different game.

Well, it seems that I didn't explain me correctly (maybe because English is not my language) 🙂

I try to summarize:

- I don't like the theme

- I don't want boardgames that can be played only using an app

- I will be very annoyed if this game will have nice mechanics and will be the only game with these mechanics.

Somebody asked why some people are against app supported games (look at the title of the thread) and I  tried to explain why I don't like them.

BTW, If you want to play with a PC, there are plenty of PC games out there 😉 and I still have to find a "dungeon crawler boardgame" that satisfy me 😞

10 hours ago, tibia said:

- I will be very annoyed if this game will have nice mechanics and will be the only game with these mechanics.

If you’re not going to play this game, why the heck come here an complain about the game?

are you working for a competing game designer and have you been paid to spread posts about why this game will be horrible?

because that’s the only logic that makes any kind of sense anymore...

Edited by Majushi

For me, the app is a godsend.

Now, if it is buggy and doesn't work properly, then we'll have problems. But, all of the game management the app will do, couldn't be more appealing to me. Also, it being available on Steam, and thus, my laptop, is great. Having to use my phone (no tablet here) was the only thing I was kind of "ugh" about.

I will honestly probably pull it up on my laptop and cast it to my TV.