UnitOmega

Clone Wars Official Announcement

22 hours ago, John79 said:

Looks like a reboot.  I wish they would slow down and focus more on story, terrain, and just playing the game. 

What reboot? It’s just adding more factions to an existing game. A core set is still needed to play, but this way a new comer doesn’t have to buy an expensive core set with units they don’t need in order to get to the materials like command cards, battlefield cards etc. they can just buy the core with the faction they care about.

Terrain has largely been a DIY venture. If you don’t care to DIY, there are third parties selling some awesome looking terrain. I like ffg focusing on the units and game pieces let me worry about my board.

Story? Sure they could work on some, but storytelling is more our role as the players. 

19 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

It's not a reboot it's an attempt to economically add two more factions. In casual anonymous games, there are possibilities for 3 matchups: R v R, I v I, and R v I. Fighting your own faction will now be (hopefully) a rarity. Unless they drastically overpower one of the new factions.

This.

I doubt that they’ll be terribly OP compared to what else is out there.

But yes, I do not like going blind there’s a 50/50 shot at a mirror match. More in my area at the flags. This should help cut it down some.

I'm really bummed half the new core set is in the old pvc plastic and all the droids are on sprues. Truly bizarre choice to have a mix of both in the same boxed set. I had thought the clones would be on sprues as well, now that I know they aren't my interest level has dropped off a bit.

Posted (edited)
On 3/28/2019 at 3:26 PM, Spidey NZ said:

i feel they would have been successful if they had only announced legion as clone wars era game

There are a lot more "OT or bust" people than any other "[era] or bust" people. So no I don't think it would be as successful to launch a new minis game using any other era. I wouldn't be playing at all if it was Clone Wars or "First even though it came second Order" versus "Totally not a rebellion, a Resistance". There's room in the GCW era for lots more pitched battles than happened onscreen. Besides, Legion is designed for selections of models representing small raids and guerilla actions such as the rebels would often engage in. Trying to make it a game with a couple hundred 28mm figures will not work with 40k already having such a corner on scifi gaming. Bar to entry has to be kept low I think. If this game required a few hundred figures I wouldn't be playing.

I also suspect that the prequel and sequel folks are as likely as not going to be more into video games, given the age differences. And therefore not buy into this or any minis game. The OT has the broadest customer base for a miniature wargame.

Edited by TauntaunScout

37 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

There are a lot more "OT or bust" people than any other "[era] or bust" people. So no I don't think it would be as successful to launch a new minis game using any other era. I wouldn't be playing at all if it was Clone Wars or "First even though it came second Order" versus "Totally not a rebellion, a Resistance". There's room in the GCW era for lots more pitched battles than happened onscreen. Besides, Legion is designed for selections of models representing small raids and guerilla actions such as the rebels would often engage in. Trying to make it a game with a couple hundred 28mm figures will not work with 40k already having such a corner on scifi gaming. Bar to entry has to be kept low I think. If this game required a few hundred figures I wouldn't be playing.

I also suspect that the prequel and sequel folks are as likely as not going to be more into video games, given the age differences. And therefore not buy into this or any minis game. The OT has the broadest customer base for a miniature wargame.

cool, thanks for the feedback.  i assume a large scale ground battle system for the clone wars, like how armada was scaled compared to xwing, would have worked with the hundreds of units for the clone era

2 hours ago, Rammstein117 said:

I'm really bummed half the new core set is in the old pvc plastic and all the droids are on sprues. Truly bizarre choice to have a mix of both in the same boxed set. I had thought the clones would be on sprues as well, now that I know they aren't my interest level has dropped off a bit.

This is news to me. May I ask where you where you found this out?

Yeah I don't get it, it's like the clone side is getting the short end of the stick, and lower quality figures. So if they do all the galactic republic stuff in PVC then go back and start redoing regular stormtroopers in hard plastic sprues that means the clone trooper faction might be amongst the last to get redone in hard plastic. I just don't get their thinking behind this, they should have just waited until they could at least get the basic clones on sprues before releasing this new core set.

8 minutes ago, Spidey NZ said:

cool, thanks for the feedback.  i assume a large scale ground battle system for the clone wars, like how armada was scaled compared to xwing, would have worked with the hundreds of units for the clone era

In 15mm (or smaller) scale could have been interesting to reenact CW movie scenes. But at 28+ mm it would be... daunting to say the least.

I think a 15mm game could roll out with 4 factions all at once, cause they only have to sculpt one pose of each trooper, etc.

1 hour ago, TauntaunScout said:

In 15mm (or smaller) scale could have been interesting to reenact CW movie scenes. But at 28+ mm it would be... daunting to say the least.

I think a 15mm game could roll out with 4 factions all at once, cause they only have to sculpt one pose of each trooper, etc.

Most 15/18mm manufacturers do quite a lot of sculpt variety with units. Even with historical ranges where line formations tend to make everyone look the same, it's common to have about six or more different sculpts for a standard trooper. Especially in games where soldiers deploy in a loose skirmish formation (as Legion would in 15mm), pose variety is huge at this scale (see Flames of War, for example). I'd love to see a SW game in 15/18mm, but I'd 100% not buy it if every stormtrooper was in the exact same pose.

4 hours ago, Rammstein117 said:

The reason the cis is on sprue is because they have verry thin legs.

1 hour ago, srMontresor said:

Most 15/18mm manufacturers do quite a lot of sculpt variety with units. Even with historical ranges where line formations tend to make everyone look the same, it's common to have about six or more different sculpts for a standard trooper. Especially in games where soldiers deploy in a loose skirmish formation (as Legion would in 15mm), pose variety is huge at this scale (see Flames of War, for example). I'd love to see a SW game in 15/18mm, but I'd 100% not buy it if every stormtrooper was in the exact same pose.

Fair enough, 15mm or less and 25mm or more I tend to lump in. For something with lots of vehicles, I guess it would have to be well under 15mm.

3 hours ago, Rammstein117 said:

Yeah I don't get it, it's like the clone side is getting the short end of the stick, and lower quality figures. So if they do all the galactic republic stuff in PVC then go back and start redoing regular stormtroopers in hard plastic sprues that means the clone trooper faction might be amongst the last to get redone in hard plastic. I just don't get their thinking behind this, they should have just waited until they could at least get the basic clones on sprues before releasing this new core set.

The PVC they’ve used for the death troopers is ace by the look of them, so I don’t think they’ll be low quality sculpts.

also, keep in mind that plastic frames are expensive to make and require a year or more lead time between designing, figure out mold flow problems, redisgn to accomadate this, and cutting the metal molds.  

So it’s likely a timing problem and less of a desire to do it.

Very nice to see this and sprues may be a step in the right direction.

Hope to see phase 2 clones not too long after release, phase two offer far more painting and personalising options over phase 1 clones.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Rammstein117 said:

I keep seeing people very excited about the words "Hard plastic" and "Sprues".

You should be prepared for the very likely reality that they are sprues of a slightly denser, stiffer PVC, and that ALL of the models in this new set are made of the same stiffer PVC. Nothing they've said so far indicates a switch to styrene AFAIK.

I mean, the CURRENT line of pvc figures come from sprues too, they're just big sprues that they are cut off from at the factory before being put in plastic bags. Sprue =/= styrene.

Edited by Tvayumat

I’ve never been over in the Legion forum but I figured this thread would be the appropriate place to pop in.

My friend and I attended the panel, and seeing/hearing about Grievous and Obi-Wan immediately sold us on picking up Legion on top of X-Wing. 😂

So I’ll be back in a few months 😁

1 hour ago, SpiderMana said:

I’ve never been over in the Legion forum but I figured this thread would be the appropriate place to pop in.

My friend and I attended the panel, and seeing/hearing about Grievous and Obi-Wan immediately sold us on picking up Legion on top of X-Wing. 😂

So I’ll be back in a few months 😁

Now you’re going to confuse me in the Legion boards too @SpiderMana

On 3/30/2019 at 6:47 PM, Rammstein117 said:

It's mentioned during the Q&A section, somewhere around or after 19 minutes in. 

Oh thank goodness! I’ll have to grit my teeth when it comes to the droids :(

Just now, Thundershield said:

Why? Sprues really aren't that bad.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on that, every experience I’ve had with sprues has left my fingers raw. Maybe it’s just the plastic involved, but I hate them with a fiery passion, and one of the best things about Legion was the total lack of sprues.

Lol think about it though, if those spindly droids were made of PVC they'd be warped, you'd have to boil half of the arms and legs and fix them. And if they sit in the sun or you get a heatwave or hot weather they're gonna warp back into that position. The clone troopers are beefy, and aside from the DC15A there shouldn't be much in the way to fix regarding bent gun barrels. I just assembled 24 bolt action us airborne, and they gave me no trouble, the only downside is they take longer, in every other way they felt superior to the storm troopers I got in the legion core set.

On 3/30/2019 at 2:58 PM, ScummyRebel said:

What reboot? It’s just adding more factions to an existing game. A core set is still needed to play, but this way a new comer doesn’t have to buy an expensive core set with units they don’t need in order to get to the materials like command cards, battlefield cards etc. they can just buy the core with the faction they care about.

Terrain has largely been a DIY venture. If you don’t care to DIY, there are third parties selling some awesome looking terrain. I like ffg focusing on the units and game pieces let me worry about my board.

Story? Sure they could work on some, but storytelling is more our role as the players. 

This.

I doubt that they’ll be terribly OP compared to what else is out there.

But yes, I do not like going blind there’s a 50/50 shot at a mirror match. More in my area at the flags. This should help cut it down some.

I guess it is a new faction even if it contains two new ones like the original base game.  I had hoped that they dig further into the two factions currently available and do more characters and terrain pieces like corridors of cloud city, the death star, and other locations.  Story is the unfolded events as we play.  But more support would be cool.  Specialty rules, and crazy objectives, maybe a force field has to be deactivated by x time or find mouse bot in the death star or rescue C3PO from melt down or hold out at the transport for x rounds to make repairs for a get-away. 

On 3/31/2019 at 9:45 PM, Rammstein117 said:

Lol think about it though, if those spindly droids were made of PVC they'd be warped, you'd have to boil half of the arms and legs and fix them. And if they sit in the sun or you get a heatwave or hot weather they're gonna warp back into that position. The clone troopers are beefy, and aside from the DC15A there shouldn't be much in the way to fix regarding bent gun barrels. I just assembled 24 bolt action us airborne, and they gave me no trouble, the only downside is they take longer, in every other way they felt superior to the storm troopers I got in the legion core set.

There are many kinds of PVC, including those significantly stiffer than the ones used previously in FFG games.

Be prepared for PVC sprues.

just relisten to this and actually listen to the Q and A more and never relised at the 26:45-27:00 mark he is talking about how with the dark saber it will cancel her impervious on sabine. guess they didn't think of that during their play testing.

50 minutes ago, azeronbloodmoone said:

guess they didn't think of that during their play testing.

Didn’t think of... how one of her abilities will negate another?

The question he’s answering is @Kaptain Krunch asking if they meant for Sabine to be able to beat Vader in Melee, because the Darksaber would be OP if she still had impervious.

...I think that was the reasoning anyways, I don’t have a grip on Legion mechanics yet I still haven’t played it yet 😅