Sign in to follow this  
Blail Blerg

DFS-311 looks really useful. Is it? Also, please give nickname

11 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

also, what does DFS stand for?

probably a code for defense protocol or something like that given both of them have defensive abilities

Kinda useful... I mean you can network tokens already right?

At the moment I'm thinking any of the I1 droids are probably a write-off.  They're so squishy it's almost essential to get up to I3 and do something before you get splatted.

39 minutes ago, TheCeilican said:

Kinda useful... I mean you can network tokens already right?

At the moment I'm thinking any of the I1 droids are probably a write-off.  They're so squishy it's almost essential to get up to I3 and do something before you get splatted.

Networked calculations only work at range 0-1, while Butterbot works out to range 3. Also, you can't network for anything other than dice mods, but you can use Public nudity to pay costs like Energy-Shell Charges.

You can even pass "Big sofa"'s calculate to organic pilots.

Butter is very useful.

You can feed calculate tokens to your other ships (eg Maul), or to ships that don't have one but want to fire their missile (stressed, hit an obstacle, etc.) 

If you have 2 or more separate groups of Vultures, you can break 3/3 calculates into 4/2 at the start of engagement (or whatever your groups are), favoring the group facing more incoming fire or with better shots.

53 minutes ago, TheCeilican said:

Across a whole list, that's maybe 10 points spent on bumping Vulture initiative. It doesn't make them any less likely to explode, and against quite a large percentage of lists, grants you strictly zero benefit over the I1s.

It's a meta call, for sure, but a very tough one when it's the difference between Kraken or not and Wedge splats an I3 before it shoots all the same.

I think in Hyperspace there's a lot of I2 (Bombers, Ys, ARCs, Us) and I1 (Droids, Academies) so it's worthwhile.  They're SO squishy, and that barrel/calc makes them pretty nifty at ducking arcs if they know where they are.

12 minutes ago, TheCeilican said:

I think in Hyperspace there's a lot of I2 (Bombers, Ys, ARCs, Us) and I1 (Droids, Academies) so it's worthwhile.  They're SO squishy, and that barrel/calc makes them pretty nifty at ducking arcs if they know where they are.

For the most part i agree with your meta analysis (both rebels, FOs and empire have a good deal of I4 or higher as well) and I think it would be a mistake to build a full vulture swarm at I1. But having one ship as a blocker of buffer is really useful.

2 minutes ago, Yearfire said:

For the most part i agree with your meta analysis (both rebels, FOs and empire have a good deal of I4 or higher as well) and I think it would be a mistake to build a full vulture swarm at I1. But having one ship as a blocker of buffer is really useful.

Yeah, I thought of that but then unless it gets jammed right up and blocks from the outset doesn't it just get PS-killed and you lost a lot of the benefit of making everything else I3?

Just now, TheCeilican said:

Yeah, I thought of that but then unless it gets jammed right up and blocks from the outset doesn't it just get PS-killed and you lost a lot of the benefit of making everything else I3?

Sure. But part of the challenge with swarms is presenting a confused target priority, so there's that. Do you shoot the guy without tokens or the guy at range 3 that you might kill before it shoots? (If the other option is Maul, I know who I shoot)

Doofus adds flexibility, and that might be worth it.

4 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

I don't wanna write DFS-311 each time. Even though its prob ok cuz the DFS-081 is kinda yucky looking. 

I have heard "butterbot" more than anything, but can't recall where it came from or what the reference is.

I want to make up something clever about 311 public service phone number (like 911, but for services), but i got nothing. 

Quite search on wookiepedia says that DFS Starfighter Squadron was a squadron of Trade Federation droid ships that participated in the blockade of Naboo and subsequent battle.

42 minutes ago, svelok said:

Across a whole list, that's maybe 10 points spent on bumping Vulture initiative. It doesn't make them any less likely to explode, and against quite a large percentage of lists, grants you strictly zero benefit over the I1s.

It's a meta call, for sure, but a very tough one when it's the difference between Kraken or not and Wedge splats an I3 before it shoots all the same.

I have found it well worth it to get the Init bump to 3.  When it does become relevant it is so good.  When its not relevant you don't really lose that much.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

I have heard "butterbot" more than anything, but can't recall where it came from or what the reference is.

The reference is from the Rick and Morty cartoon. The why, I don't fully understand as I've never watched the show, but I could probably guess based on some pictures that have floated up since release.

EDIT: @Yearfire beat me to it, and knows the 'why.' My guess was correct though.

Edited by LagJanson