Sign in to follow this  
intoxicatedALF

Attack of the Clone Swarm

Since the announcement of the clone wars ships and the preview of “Sinker” and some of the V-19 torrent generics I’ve been slowly theorizing a swarm list for the republic.

At that point it was mostly guessing points for pilots and upgrades and hoping for the best. Now that wave 3 is released the testing has begun. Version 1.0 of the Clone Swarm list being:

ARC-170 Starfighter - •”Sinker”

• Shield Upgrade
  • •Clone Commander Cody

V-19 Torrent Starfighter - Blue Squadron Protector

• Dedicated

V-19 Torrent Starfighter - Blue Squadron Protector

• Dedicated

V-19 Torrent Starfighter - Gold Squadron Trooper

200/200

This list performed decently against an aces list (Anakin (w/ CLT, R4, Sense), Obi-wan (w/ CLT, R4), Saesee (w/ CLT, R4)). The game was lost, but even with mistakes on my side with the formation flying, and poor choice of target priority I still had a good chance to take the game. I learnt pretty quickly how restrictive the V-19 dial is, but also how much area Sinker’s aura covers, allowing for loose formations or breaking formation and still managing to get the re-rolls. Also, dedicated and Blue Squadron torrents are hopelessly over priced (no surprise really). This is a republic archetype that may have some legs with some alterations. 

The next game I changed up the list a bit, with some suggestions by a very experienced local player, in an effort to make the list more efficient. Version 1.1 of the list was:

• Shield Upgrade
  • •Clone Commander Cody
  • Perceptive Co-Pilot

V-19 Torrent Starfighter - •”Tucker”

200/200

This list performed much better than the first. The second game was against a Inferno heavy Tie Swarm (Howlrunner (w/ elusive), Seyn (w/ marksmanship), Iden, Del, Gideon, Nightbeast). Now, I was concerned for a match up like this purely because of Initiative advantage. It was a straight up joust down the side of the board as my opponent thought he had the superior fire power and I was wanting to test the list’s staying power. The first engagement went as expected, traded shots at range 3/2, 1 Tie and 1 damage (Iden was also triggered) on another tie for 1 torrent and 2 additional damage on another torrent. Then traded shots at range 1, and this is when the durability of the list started to show. Traded 2 ties for 2 torrents (1 being tucker). It was now Sinker and 2 golds verse Nightbeast, Gideon and Iden. K-turns happened and the ARC banked to keep shots on the ties and aura on the torrents. Iden was then shot down and some damage on a torrent. In the following turns Nightbeast was finished off followed by Gideon while they tried to focus down the ARC, getting it down to half health. Clones win the game, an unexpected outcome.

This showed me that the clone swarm has the durability to take on other swarms, even ones with a higher Initiative. In both games Cody performed very well, worth the 3pts 100%. Cody triggered 2-3 times each game and just about always resulted in powered up shot by the torrents or tough maneuver choices for the opponent. Tucker had some nice action efficiency but I don’t believe he is worth 6pts over a Gold Squadron Trooper.

Now that I’ve had a few days to put my thoughts together I’ve revised the list again and I’m onto version 2.0.

• •Clone Commander Cody

ARC-170 Starfighter - 104th Battalion Pilot

199/200

This is as good as I think this list can get at this point in time. I’ll break down the pros and cons of the list. 

BASIC STATS

• 14 Red Dice (+4 rear arcs)
  • 10 Green Dice
  • 38 Combined Hit Points (6 shields, 32 hull)
  • 12.25 average hits (assuming all in Sinker’s aura, have a focus token, at range 2)
  • 1 point bid to help against other swarm lists

FORMATION

• Start on a board edge for clear jousting lane for anyone game enough
  • Sinker closest to the board edge
  • Torrents in a square formation about a maneuver template apart to avoid bumping while banking, deployed next to Sinker and inside range 2 from the board edge
  • 104th loosely next to the torrents, avoiding any obstacles in the corner

ARC-170 STARFIGHTERS

“SINKER”

• Passive re-rolls for side arcs
  • Rear arc for chances of shots
  • Decent survivability
  • Decent firepower
  • Decent dial
  • Can melt to weight of fire, range control required
  • Mid-late game can be awkward to position to keep enemies in firing arc and friendlies in side arcs, Barrel roll is super helpful

CLONE COMMANDER CODY

• Strain tokens are no joke
  • Makes just about all shots made by Sinker great. It’s either damage pushing me closer to victory, or strain to help get damage or make for difficult maneuver choices in following turns

104TH BATTALION PILOT

• Rear arc for chances of shots
  • Decent survivability
  • Decent firepower made great with Sinker
  • Decent dial
  • Can melt to weight of fire, range control required

V-19 TORRENT STARFIGHTERS

GOLD SQUADRON TROOPERS

• Good health for their points cost
  • Average firepower made great with Sinker
  • Poor dial, but less of a limit to tight formations makes it forgiving
  • Talon Rolls are extremely handy to avoid bumps with higher Initiative foes
  • Vulnerable to crits

I’ll be testing Clone Swarm Version 2.0 in an upcoming local Hyperspace Tournament, I’ll be aiming to report my findings soon after. On paper this looks like the best list of this archetype I can produce. Additional ARCs reduces torrents and basic stats overall. Additional torrents has the same effect. I know it has the staying power to outlast tie swarms, it’s now a matter of practice to catch ace lists off guard.

Obstacle choice is also a question I’m asking myself. Small asteroids seem the best option but it was suggested to me that gas clouds might also work well, purely because setting up blocks would be much easier. Might make games against aces harder though?