TallGiraffe

Adepticon Announcement

Hmm. I think one thing almost universally agreed upon is that the squadron game has become slow, complicated, and over reliant on aces. So in the campaign one of the main things we get is even more unique squadrons. 

10 minutes ago, Plessiez said:

Hmm. I think one thing almost universally agreed upon is that the squadron game has become slow, complicated, and over reliant on aces. So in the campaign one of the main things we get is even more unique squadrons. 

Lando was designed by Coda, and he said it was to optimize medium squads, I wonder how Lando does that...

1 hour ago, Plessiez said:

You’d be incorrect with a universally agreed upon statement then.

because, clearly, someone at FFG disagrees 😁

1 hour ago, TallGiraffe said:

Lando is good. His ability can ignore scatter!

So can Bosskk! Lando does look good but I don’t see how he particularly aligns with the stated objective of boosting medium squads.

12 hours ago, Audio Weasel said:

I wonder if Mel's makes a Gunstar in armada scale that I can use for Iggy B...

Just because you and @Drasnighta showed the Gunstar some love.

Found this a while back. Almost perfect for Armada, just need pegs. Amazingly, I don't think they were made for Armada, but the scale is dead on. I will snap some pics when I get home next week.

710x528_9520961_6766227_1459354022.jpg

https://www.shapeways.com/product/SVGJZNMCM/fighter-star-wing?optionId=56894305&li=ostatus

14 hours ago, dominosfleet said:

I have one going currently too, but this new one hasn't come out yet. I'm saying the new one will probably be a cleaner design. 

Yeah I realized that I misunderstood.  Agreed it will definitely be better.  

I read fast and thought you were saying no one plays CCC after it came out. I realized after that you mention after the new one comes out.

9 hours ago, Plessiez said:

Yes, but these Rim campaign games seem meant to be run at smaller points values. In a 200 point game Lando is a third of your squadron points. 67 points gets eaten up by three aces. And Lando's abilities only affect Lando. There isn't any overlapping range effect to manage. 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

Yes, but these Rim campaign games seem meant to be run at smaller points values. In a 200 point game Lando is a third of your squadron points. 67 points gets eaten up by three aces. And Lando's abilities only affect Lando. There isn't any overlapping range effect to manage. 

At 67 points for squad screens, a 23 point ace that can reliably do 4 and has decent chance at doing 5 damage to another squad is good. His ability to auto-accuracy means he is actually in the (unlikely) range to one-shot Imp scatter aces. 

If your opponent doesn’t have squads, he has the HP to love in flak for a bit and his auto-set ability means he can land a big hit when it counts. 

Edited by Church14
Typos

2 minutes ago, Church14 said:

At 67 points for squad screens, a 23 point ace that can reliably do 4 and has decent chance at doing 5 damage to another squad is good. His ability to auto-accuracy means he is actually in the (unlikely) range to one-shot Imp scatter aces. 

Mid your opponent doesn’t have squads, he has the HP to love in flak for a bit and his auto-set ability means he can land a big hit when it counts. 

Fair enough but I wasn't really making an argument about Lando's quality.

I was making one that "more aces" in a 200 point game with 67 squadron points isn't particularly complex. Yes, aces complicate squadron play but Lando isn't the same kind of ace as Jan or Rhymer and there will be fewer squadrons on the board. Lando is not a "complex" ace. Neither really is the new IG. 

Posted (edited)

During the last months I have got the feeling that some kind of negativity vigilantiism had taken over the forums, where you are jumped at when you dare to critizise FFG. 

That said I cannot understand the critizism yielded against FFG for announcing this campaign instead of wave 8.

Before I get some more ships only remotely recognizable as Star Wars, it seems to me to be the better choice to inhale new life to the underused ones we already have (new titles!). 

But more importantly, most of the objectives we currently have are mediocre at best. They are meant to counter first player advantage, but they only work against specific fleet archetypes making matchup a lottery. New objectives are better news to me than two waves. 

The game is in a great state. There are some issues. But this expansion has the chance to improve the variety and balance of Armada more than anything else. 

Edited by Darth Veggie

Hey, come on, guys! It's Star Wars, it's Armada, its gonna be totally awesome! Period. :) as mentioned, new objectives will be a blast, there are space worms (sporms) and space whales (spales), how cool can that be. They're gonna eat your ships/squads! so much fun!

Ok, you got me. Totally hyped. :D

3 hours ago, RobertK said:

Prediction: Squadrons contingents will be limited to one-fourth of fleet points in the new campaign.

While the max squadron, and max aces haters exist, I don't see them as a majority of the community. I'm actually curious what the meta would look like if there was no squadron limit. One ship, with lots of squadrons seems fun, and in some cases very thematic. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, cynanbloodbane said:

While the max squadron, and max aces haters exist, I don't see them as a majority of the community. I'm actually curious what the meta would look like if there was no squadron limit. One ship, with lots of squadrons seems fun, and in some cases very thematic. 

Not a lot of change is my guess. With flotillas not counting towards tabling, the less combat ships you have, the more susceptible you are just getting tabled. Sure, you could run a torpedo corvette, Dodonna, and 340 in squadrons, but a not stupid opponent will probably manage to bag that corvette or flak your totally unsupported squadrons pretty hard

Edited by Church14

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cynanbloodbane said:

I don't really have a problem with  squadron-based lists at all. I'm just saying that it looks like that's the direction things we're going with the Sector Fleet rules. Since I presume that there will be something like the "All Out Offensive" in the new campaign, I am guessing that they will have something similar to Sector Fleet rules in effect for that.

I think my prediction is bold, but reasonable. Perfectly happy being wrong, but I thought I would stake the claim to it before we see the rules.

Cheers!

Edited by RobertK
Missing apostrophes suck!

They reduced the squadron cap to one-fourth in Sector Fleet b/c of 600-1200 point games. The new campaign is the opposite; some games will be played at the 200 point level. So I think one-fourth as an absolute cap seems unlikely.

Posted (edited)

Do we have any further info on the new title cards?

Id like to see new cards to promote more use of generics. Something like ‘Swarm Tactics Expert’

Effect: (on sqd command) - You may activate 4 additional non-unique squadrons with the swarm keyword.

This would encourage use of generic ties or z-95s for Rebs and get away from all aces.

Edited by ISD Avenger

8 hours ago, cynanbloodbane said:

Just because you and @Drasnighta showed the Gunstar some love.

Found this a while back. Almost perfect for Armada, just need pegs. Amazingly, I don't think they were made for Armada, but the scale is dead on. I will snap some pics when I get home next week.

710x528_9520961_6766227_1459354022.jpg

https://www.shapeways.com/product/SVGJZNMCM/fighter-star-wing?optionId=56894305&li=ostatus

Man, I should have responded to this earlier. I did a Gunstar AND Deck fighters! They're not public on shapeways, the run I did was a bit too big, but I've done 'em.

1DDA8lt.png

27 minutes ago, Norsehound said:

Man, I should have responded to this earlier. I did a Gunstar AND Deck fighters! They're not public on shapeways, the run I did was a bit too big, but I've done 'em.

1DDA8lt.png

I forgot about yours! I actually like your design better, as well as the Kodan fighters. Still want them in my collection...

Just saying, list it and I will buy it!