drail14me

What would 2.0 Armada look like?

First off, I don't think Armada NEEDS a 2nd Edition but I do believe one is coming and I welcome it. With the delay in the SSD, the talk of Clone Wars, confirmation of other Huge ships and the success of X-Wing 2.0, I feel like the time is ripe for 2.0 Armada.

I have no idea what A 2.0 Armada would look like though. I don't really see any game play or rule changes being really necessary. I'd be satisfied with simply taking the points and upgrade slots digital like X-wing with changes every 6 months. I think that alone could give us a breath of fresh air and some regular change in Armada.

What would you want to see in a 2.0?

IF a new version of Armada was going to be announced at Adepticon, I figure it would probably include the following changes:

Deployment Zones - Perhaps something akin to Legion
Objectives and Objective Selection - New objectives and perhaps a different way to select them?
Squadron changes - simplify how squadrons move / change engagement rules, maybe? I have often wanted to try out squadrons on a Hex Map to see if that changes how they play.
Initiative / Activation change - I can see a way in way initiative can change, perhaps command cards, alternating, etc.
New campaign

In these cases, you could be able to release a single "Corellian Conflict" size expansion to cover all of the above.

So squadrons need to be revamped. Either they are too powerful that the game revolves around them or they are never used. FFG needs to find a middle ground with squadrons. 

Streamline the activation phase. It takes too long to select a ship fire then move. Perhaps it is better if ships were given an initiative based upon size instead of Captain. 

A more flexible command system. With commands being locked to the same 4 there is no room in the design space to chose otherwise. The tokens add to the clutter and they don't give that much of an advantage then just using a dial.

Also need a way to vary the turn limit while making the game length shorter. This whole play for Turn 6 can add to the delay. It would be better if turns could vary or even on some objectives it isn't clear if this is the last turn or not. Either way you still need to find a way to make a single match last between 50 and 90 minuets not 2 hours. 

I hope 2.0 would ay least have:

- Streamlined squadron play

- Big increase to movement tool and range tool.

Both of the above would go a loooooooonmng way at addressing my biggest Armada complaint. Games almost always result in a congested mess in a small part of the mat that is extremely fiddly to manage. Ranges are waaaaay too short in this game, and movement barely displaces a ship more than 12" from its deploy. The game would be far more dynamic and easy to manage with longer moves and longer firing ranges  especially for squad ranges.

Posted (edited)

...and/or stick squadrons into wings with say one less activation point and indicated with a flat marker to keep clutter down? Mind you squadron speed would be a problem.

Edited by Hetzen
Forgot to think about squadron speeds.

X-wing 2.0 was mostly about fixing some things that had never been central to the rule set, but were dominating play and sort of ruining what X-wing was supposed to be.

In truth we don’t need that in Armada.  We actually have a great meta na good balance.  But a game that goes 2-3 hours is just too long for me to play with a friend after my kids go to bed (which is when I play my games).

I hesitate to say this because, People love the way Armada plays now.  But I would love to see it much faster.  Three simple rules not to adopt straight out, but for FFG to look at to speed up play.
The way Axis and Allies War at see did fighter squadrons
The way Legion does activations
They way Dropfleet Commander does activations
The way X-wing forces you to preplan your moves and then execute them.

Obvoiosly I don’t want the rules adopted whole scale, especially since Legion and DropFleet Commander do activations differently.  

But for me I would love to see the game go faster.

Yeah, a 2.0 revision would probably have me step out of the game. But if there was, the squadron situation probably needs to be looked at. And anything to maybe make the game go faster. 

10 hours ago, Hrathen said:

The way Legion does activations
They way Dropfleet Commander does activations
The way X-wing forces you to preplan your moves and then execute them.

Using the legion activation system sounds terrible. Either you keep the command cards with pips and then last-firsting is still a problem OR you totally randomize it by ship size and tell any sort of strategy based on multiple ships supporting each other to get ****ed. That may be a bit of a straw man but my point stands.

Legion doesn’t have a 390 point model/unit capable of destroying 400 points of the opposing army in a single activation. A craphazard activation system works fine there.

Either borrow from Runewars or fix activation order to ship sizes (huge go first, then large, then medium, then small).

I don’t know anything about Dropfleet to comment

Honestly, I think almost all suggestions here sound terrible. You want extremely radical changes to the point where I don't think the resulting product would still be Star Wars Armada!

I see the appeal in trying to make the game play faster but honestly I am strongly against any change that would reduce the tactical complexity of the game.

2.0 would kill this game 

I just went through it with X Wing I am not doing it with Armada. I would drop both games for good if they do

I really cant understand why anyone would want it. I also don't get why people say Squadrons take a lot of time? I often fly Max Squadrons. I just brought more Z95 to fit more into one list and it really does not take long to activate them. the only time I see it taking to long is when players are anal over millimeters. 

5 minutes ago, LordCola said:

Honestly, I think almost all suggestions here sound terrible. You want extremely radical changes to the point where I don't think the resulting product would still be Star Wars Armada!

I see the appeal in trying to make the game play faster but honestly I am strongly against any change that would reduce the tactical complexity of the game.

^This! And there are 2 ways to play a faster game / faster squadron play:

1. Reduce the FP-limit.
You can play a 200-250 FP match in about 1 hour. You can reduce the squadron cap or number of uniques/aces allowed.

2. Practice
If you know your list and play regularily, than 2 and 1/2 hours is enough time to finish a 400 FP match.

So Armada 2.0 is 300 FP with 25% squadrons and you all are happy?

(Somewhat funny how so many posts were excited by Sector Fleet Rules allowing to field 1.200 FP with 300 FP max for squadrons, and at the same time there is an issue with fiddly squadron play and game length?)

Just now, Triangular said:

2. Practice
If you know your list and play regularily, than 2 and 1/2 hours is enough time to finish a 400 FP match.

yep I often find its not the list that makes the game long its the player. forgetting there triggers, having to explain how the cards work listening to them complain how dumb the game is because they don't know the rules

21 hours ago, Wintercross said:

I think squads would work better if they needed base contact to be engaged, would sure speed things up

On 3/27/2019 at 1:46 AM, Marinealver said:

So squadrons need to be revamped. Either they are too powerful that the game revolves around them or they are never used. FFG needs to find a middle ground with squadrons. 

Streamline the activation phase. It takes too long to select a ship fire then move. Perhaps it is better if ships were given an initiative based upon size instead of Captain. 

Squads are the biggest thing that bother me, like Marinealver stated they either are OP or not in a fleet. I am more intimidated by a large squad with a Luke and certain other pilots than I am of most other rebel ships. I still think that Ships should have built in counter against squads or something that can cut down on their effectiveness.

Activation is another thing I would love to see addressed in some way to get it similar to Runewars or Legion. But I do not want 2.0, we DO NOT NEED 2.0 and until the game is horribly unbalanced and you are stuck playing 1-2 of the newest ships with a specific handful of upgrades, this shouldn't even be considered.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, X Wing Nut said:

the only time I see it taking to long is when players are anal over millimeters. 

... sooooo, the Armada Tournament scene, then. 

[Thoughts on pre-measuring rule and its effect on squadron play MOVED here:]

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

One of the interesting things X-Wing 2.0 did was sliding scale cost upgrades. Putting overload pulse on a Raider would cost +2pts(?) more than if the upgrade was on an ISD.