Estarriol

Is ‘Clone Wars’ any good?

Posted (edited)
On 4/1/2019 at 4:43 PM, BlodVargarna said:

I thought it was pretty good series. Much better than the prequels IMO. Lots of on-screen deaths I thought so depending on your tolerance for violence, maybe preview before watching with younger kids. 

Something funny about that- one of the reasons I avoid a lot of popular TV series is because I'm seriously don't like to watch realistic and graphic violence. Which rules out pretty much every popular "mature" drama for me anymore.

It seems like Clone Wars is able to stylize it enough so that it's, well, at a level to be expected of Star Wars. Makes me wonder why it's so hard to make a show for a general audience that still approaches mature themes. 

I will say that I'm about half way through the movie in the chronological viewing order and these first few episodes are much harder to get through than Clone Cadets and Rookies were, just because they seem much more cartoony in regards to villains and situations. The baby hutt is a "what were they thinking" moment. 

Edited by ArcHammer

For me it is the best thing to come out of Star Wars. I've always liked the Clone Wars Era better and the show gives the writers enough time to expand on characters from the Prequels and add depth to them. Definitely worth a watch!

1 hour ago, ArcHammer said:

Something funny about that- one of the reasons I avoid a lot of popular TV series is because I'm seriously don't like to watch realistic and graphic violence. Which rules out pretty much every popular "mature" drama for me anymore.

It seems like Clone Wars is able to stylize it enough so that it's, well, at a level to be expected of Star Wars. Makes me wonder why it's so hard to make a show for a general audience that still approaches mature themes. 

I will say that I'm about half way through the movie in the chronological viewing order and these first few episodes are much harder to get through than Clone Cadets and Rookies were, just because they seem much more cartoony in regards to villains and situations. The baby hutt is a "what were they thinking" moment. 

The movie, and any episode with the purple Hutt, are at the bottom of the barrel IMHO.  He's such a dumb character, can't figure out why anyone thought he would be a good idea.

5 hours ago, ArcHammer said:

I'm actually legit enjoying this and they're yanking it from Netflix tomorrow. Well...

I guess it was fun while it lasted.

F.

2ac11r.jpg

I feel your pain.   Started watching it again to notice that..

Good news, it will be on the Disney streaming service!  Bad news if you live in another country, like Canada, where you can't get any info of the service will be available to you.    

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

I feel your pain.   Started watching it again to notice that..

Good news, it will be on the Disney streaming service!  Bad news if you live in another country, like Canada, where you can't get any info of the service will be available to you.    

Which AFAIK doesn't start until September. Disney can afford to play the long game I guess. So sick of this streaming service crap, though. It's like PC gaming, every company wants their own storefront, but all except for Steam and Netflix are still lacking.

Edited by ArcHammer

Posted (edited)

Personally, I really liked a lot of the stories, and especially the characters that were expanded upon or introduced in Clone Wars. The out-of-order nature of the show made following certain portions awkward, but it wasn't so bad that it affected my enjoyment of the series. Then of course there were filler or one-off episodes that didn't really advance a major plot line, but those didn't pop up too often, and even when they did they generally were solid character driven episodes. The clones in particular get a lot of love in this series. Despite them all sharing a voice and face, they manage to have distinct personalities. I felt it when one of my favorite clones got offed, which I was not expecting at all the first time I went into this series. I also wasn't expecting entire episodes and story arc's devoted to clones, or characters other than Anakin and Obi-Wan for that matter.

For me though, Ashoka and Assaj steal the show. Assaj wasn't introduced here, but Clone Wars is where she came into her own and became a fleshed out character. As the seasons progress, she is given more to do, things to question, and new enemies and allies to deal with. Ashoka on the other hand, we essentially get to watch grow from an impressionable child, to a fully realized and very independent young adult. Her growth and struggles, particularly in the final season are just awesome to see unfold. I can't say much about my favorite part of her arch without spoilers, but I can say that her last few episodes are easily my favorite of the entire series. 

The show isn't perfect, but I think it makes up for it in charm and character. The writers were very good about knowing who needed the focus and when. The old war propaganda feel of the recaps is pretty endearing to me. It even manages to make politics and espionage far more interesting than the prequels did. If you like Star Wars in general, and you want to see something come from the prequels that is better than the movies we got, this series is well worth your time. 

Edited by Hippie Moosen

On 4/6/2019 at 7:31 PM, ArcHammer said:

I'm actually legit enjoying this and they're yanking it from Netflix tomorrow. Well...

If you do a little searching for "watch clone wars free" you can find websites where you can watch them. Just be prepared to ignore all of the hyper-sexualized banner ads, and you should probably make sure your anti-virus software is up to date, just to be safe. ;) But warnings aside, I've watched entire seasons of shows before off of some of these sites with no issues.