Card Knight

SSD Delayed

Do people really care that much about this release?  I mean I understand the wow factor of this ship as a display piece but I honestly don't see how it is practical for actual gameplay in anyway shape or form.  Who is going to use this monstrosity?  Is it really going to be something people field in tournaments and events? To me this always seemed like hype release rather than something actually applicable, it's actually mechanically a terrible unit.

11 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

Do people really care that much about this release?  I mean I understand the wow factor of this ship as a display piece but I honestly don't see how it is practical for actual gameplay in anyway shape or form.  Who is going to use this monstrosity?  Is it really going to be something people field in tournaments and events? To me this always seemed like hype release rather than something actually applicable, it's actually mechanically a terrible unit.

There are videos online if people proxying it, check them out.  Yes, people are excited and will use it.  Large centre-piece models have been a part of miniatures since at least the 90’s.  See Ganes Workshop for more details.

3 hours ago, The Jabbawookie said:

Are they articles?  Yes.  Are they consistent?  Yes.  It wasn’t too long ago that we were desperate for any trace of content.  Before we move the goalposts (and they should probably be moved) let’s take a moment to appreciate the different treatment we’re receiving.

„we“ were definitely not. I never looked forward to non-articles like we got, lately.

FFG doesnt owe us articles, that goes without saying, however, whatever this „costs“ them in tangibles and intangibles is theirs to accept.

And as much as I appreciate a delay article, it has been pointed out - correctly imho - that it has been at a very late point. 

Also, this just doesnt happen. Its a consequence of conscient choices what to prioritize (unless proven wrong, maybe there has been an unforeseen production issue etc.).

In any case, the delay itself isnt much of a prob for me, I can wait for this fantastic ship. And I have much to look forward to this week, Armada-wise, including a new expansion.

1 hour ago, Bakura83 said:

There are videos online if people proxying it, check them out.  Yes, people are excited and will use it.  Large centre-piece models have been a part of miniatures since at least the 90’s.  See Ganes Workshop for more details.

Yup, we've managed a few proxy games locally:

It's kind of fun for something a bit different, but I'm definitely in the camp that sees it having a relatively small impact on the competitive scene. May be proven wrong, but it feels like it'll be much more at home in Sector Fleet.

5 hours ago, Bakura83 said:

What months span Q3 of 2019 for FFG?  I have a big Armada event in mid-August and I’ll be pretty annoyed if the SSD isn’t our by then.

Unforunatley, based on history, I'd say you're probably not gonna have that SSD in hand for your mid-August event.  Even though I'm not personally picking up an SSD, I can understand the frustration of people who pre-ordered a $200 model and will have waited almost a full year to get it after ordering.

The standard usage of Quarters in the business world:
Q1 = Jan-Mar
Q2 = Apr-Jun
Q3 = July-Sept
Q4 = Oct-Dec

So that means they are estimating a July-September release, so the later in August your event the better.  Still, even after the FFG-AsmodeeNA-Alliance merger, FFG releases tend to release closer to the tail end of their quarter than the beginning, but they've at least been better about hitting their Quarter Goal (e.g. X-Wing Wave III was a Q2 release, and it came out last week, which meant it made Q2 by one week). 

4 hours ago, NebulonB said:

Also, this just doesnt happen. Its a consequence of conscient choices what to prioritize (unless proven wrong, maybe there has been an unforeseen production issue etc.).

This, a thousand times this.  I can't believe after having been basically walked on by FFG for the past 18 months so many Armada players are so willing to be understanding.  I know I've used the "son of the deadbeat dad" analogy a lot lately, but this sort of stuff just keeps reaffirming it's validity.  "Uhhh... sorry son... I know I promised that we were really for reals going fishing this weekend... buuuuuut....."  And once we get that Adepticon announcement, folks are going to be going crazy with FFG's praises.

Were their production issues with the SSD?  Probably.  Were they unforseeable and would it have been impossible for them to have been resolved more quickly?  Almost certainly not.  The SSD is a big model, but in my opinion it's not different in kind from stuff FFG has been doing for years, it's merely different in degree.  The X-Wing Epic Imperial Raider isn't terribly smaller than the SSD, and odds are it'll be wider than the SSD at its widest points.  The X-Wing Epic CR90 is almost certainly going to be a more complicated model than the relatively flat minimal components SSD.  Those Epic releases didn't have any crippling issues in production, and they rolled out almost four years ago.  It's also worth nothing that X-Wing's recent Wave III (Clone Wars Arrive) had a major production issue.  The dials in the Galactic Republic squadron pack were misprinted, so the ships could literally not do 2-Turn Maneuvers in one direction because it was left off the dial, and apparently it wasn't caught until stuff had been printed and packaged, since the cardboard in the pack still includes the wrong dials.  As  solution, FFG created and had printed additional cardboard inserts with the correct dials that were then bagged and added to the sets.   Did this push Wave III back an entire quarter?  Nope, Wave III dropped just a week later than most people were expecting.  Heck, fixing the X-Wing squadron packs could be the production issue that has delayed the SSD, even, since maybe it took more time/manpower away from what would have been the SSD's production.  So the issue with the SSD likely could have been handled in a more timely manner, if Armada had the same top priority of other FFG lines.  I  am not aware of any other product lines experiencing a similar production problem, so it's not likely that this was the case of a factory fire or a cargo pod falling off the boat or something, as that would have had a wider effect across more product lines.

And, as others have noted, it's not like this discovered this delay today with a mere 3 Days left in Q1... this has to have been something they've known about for awhile now, since these things would have been on the boats weeks ago if it was going to have anything close to a Q1 release.

But, if we assume that SSD finally drops in the middle of Q3, that means we'll have had "Something Big" hinted at in July at Gencon 2017, the SSD officially announced in August at Gencon 2018, with an eventual release in August 2019.  That's...  a long time.

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

5 hours ago, BigKahuna said:

Hype pieces are just fine for a game. Big novelty items that are just there for fun are acceptable releases. STAW released a playable Deep Space 9 model that was a foot across (on a 3’x3’ map). It was a blast to use, but was never going to win a tourney. Nobody was sad that it wasn’t.

The fact that the SSD may be viable at tourneys is just a bonus to me. The point is to put a SSD on the table. 

5 hours ago, BigKahuna said:

Umm, yes.

On 3/26/2019 at 3:34 PM, RuusMarev said:

My guess would be problems or issues with consistency with the molds or post mold plastic parts.. this thing might be one of the largest toys / miniatures made. certainly the largest so far for FFG. 

The possibility of the 2.0 option, or maybe a power balance with older ships that havent had play time in a few waves, are being discovered to be SSD killers. 

ok, if that is the real reason, why did they have problems this late?  I think there is another reason for this delay and they are not being honest with us.  They posted last week about the SSD.  And you would think they play tested it months beforehand???

On 3/27/2019 at 3:41 AM, ScottGilbert25 said:

Maybe they are pushing it back to release with whatever they are announcing this Thursday.

Honestly, based on previous FFG behavior, the delay is most likely that they got some early shipment to check quality of model and were not happy with the result.

FFG drops news bombs about expansion in the weeks leading up to the release.  We got a news piece about the SSD not long ago, and that would lead one to believe we were quickly approaching the release date.  FFG likely received some shipment of quality control units to inspect and were unhappy with the results.  This likely caused them to hold any other news until they could get more quality control units to investigate if it was an isolated incident or they needed to do some major overhaul to production.  After the second inspection they determined the issue was too common, too noticeable, etc and decided that they needed to send everything back to get inspected/reworked.  It could be a paint issue, an assembly issue, or something else relatively minor but noticeable.  I doubt it's a mold problem however as that would likely take longer.

This is the reason for the relatively late announcement of the delay also.  They probably only figured out there was a potential problem in the last month and only confirmed it in the last week or two.