Jump to content
Truthiness

Two Ship Dominates: Final Regionals 2018-2019 Data Analysis

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, Ginkapo said:

For those who arent following. Tokra had Squall with interceptors. Effective speed 7 squads can hit turn 1 with crazy dice and crazy counter. 

The quintessential Squall with Tokra's squad combo is:

Maarek + Ciena + Jendon

This typically lets Maarek double tap (bc Jendon will just be in Maarek 2-distance) and Ciena just screws with whatever.

Squall is speed 2, Maarek + Ciena are speed 5. Then there is the gunnery range distance 1.

Rather hard to defend against :)

What's lovely about Tokra's fleet is that is has 5 native activations (as many as ISD+4 Goz), so it can just outlast anything on r1, unless the opponent Pryce 1. But is he does, then just not attack on that round. Problem solved.

Squall can also be nice with AFFM and stuff like Morna + Rhymer, but it's a good deal less flexible IMO. Very strong vs ships, but less able vs heavy AS from say 134 pts of Sloane aces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GalacticFister said:

Hey, I'm the guy who came in fourth place. Here is my list: https://armada.ryankingston.com/fleet/39535/

Sam Simon ran a quasar + interdictor + 2 flotilla list with a bunch of squads. Don't know much more than that, though I could get the details if needed, we are both from Southern California.

Interesting. So no Pryce and no Squall, but you relied on a super tanky ISD. How did you handle Pryce across the table? Because I know you did for at least one round :D

Sam's list I believe was identical (or close enough) to his SoCal Regional list. I could probably dig it up, but it was essentially maximum squad movement bonus. FCT Interdictor, Squall, and Rhymer. The threat range was nuts and the Interdictor was a tank. I...may have rammed it a lot to get past Brunson...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GalacticFister said:

Hey, I'm the guy who came in fourth place. Here is my list: https://armada.ryankingston.com/fleet/39535/

Sam Simon ran a quasar + interdictor + 2 flotilla list with a bunch of squads. Don't know much more than that, though I could get the details if needed, we are both from Southern California.

Interesting. @MandalorianMoose ran the list with just one Gozanti pretty well in Vassal World Cup. I wonder why he added the extra Gozanti in? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GalacticFister said:

Hey, I'm the guy who came in fourth place. Here is my list: https://armada.ryankingston.com/fleet/39535/

Sam Simon ran a quasar + interdictor + 2 flotilla list with a bunch of squads. Don't know much more than that, though I could get the details if needed, we are both from Southern California.

Thanks!  And congratulations on your top 10 finish!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Green Knight said:

The quintessential Squall with Tokra's squad combo is:

Maarek + Ciena + Jendon

This typically lets Maarek double tap (bc Jendon will just be in Maarek 2-distance) and Ciena just screws with whatever.

Squall is speed 2, Maarek + Ciena are speed 5. Then there is the gunnery range distance 1.

Rather hard to defend against :)

What's lovely about Tokra's fleet is that is has 5 native activations (as many as ISD+4 Goz), so it can just outlast anything on r1, unless the opponent Pryce 1. But is he does, then just not attack on that round. Problem solved.

Squall can also be nice with AFFM and stuff like Morna + Rhymer, but it's a good deal less flexible IMO. Very strong vs ships, but less able vs heavy AS from say 134 pts of Sloane aces.

Not only this. You can abuse squall even for moving in, attack and move out, as long as you are not engaged. Saber is great for this with snipe. Or attacks against ships. Or obstructed attacks against squadrons. 

Basically similar to corran + adar. Just not with the same range, but with 3 squadrons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Green Knight said:

At this point only two things are actually important IMO:

- the activation game

- the squadron game

So what is coming that could change these?

I would hope the new Expansion. The aces on both sides will be nice, plus the addition of ship cards is interesting, and could mean a lot of un used ships get new titles of death or power as it were to make them more viable in todays game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zamalekite said:

Interesting. @MandalorianMoose ran the list with just one Gozanti pretty well in Vassal World Cup. I wonder why he added the extra Gozanti in? 

Still only the one gozanti. The only difference between my VWC list and what I brought here is that I swapped Gamma for Black, and I remembered to submit/bring the right objectives which ended up helping me a ton ( ❤️ Salvage Run) 

I was the guy that played @Tokra round 4 of day one and completely botched my opening. Taking nothing away from Tokra- he deployed perfectly in a way that made me think hard about pryce turn. I opted for 2 as he would clearly be able to out-delay a turn 1 Pryce. In theory this may have worked, but we will never know as turn one I squalled Jendon and Mauler directly in front of myself for some reason I will never understand. This let Tokra put Jendon and Mauler into alpha range for turn 1 and 2 nuking while I could do nothing but watch. 

It ended up being my only bad loss at 3-8, my only other “loss” was vs Truthiness round 3 day two when we went 5-6 after an absolute bloodbath of a match. I think there was one actual ship (one of his TRC90’s) left on the table at the end of the match, and with both of my stations staying alive the mov split was suuuuuper close. 

All in all I played 7 very fun games with 7 great opponents, and was lucky enough to finish with 50 points, good enough for 7th and better than I ever expected to finish!

Edited by MandalorianMoose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MandalorianMoose said:

 

All in all I played 7 very fun games with 7 great opponents, and was lucky enough to finish with 50 points, good enough for 7th and better than I ever expected to finish!

Congrats on your top 10 finish!  So many known forum personalities that I really didn’t get a chance to meet in person there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Truthiness said:

Interesting. So no Pryce and no Squall, but you relied on a super tanky ISD. How did you handle Pryce across the table? Because I know you did for at least one round :D

Sam's list I believe was identical (or close enough) to his SoCal Regional list. I could probably dig it up, but it was essentially maximum squad movement bonus. FCT Interdictor, Squall, and Rhymer. The threat range was nuts and the Interdictor was a tank. I...may have rammed it a lot to get past Brunson...

For the Pryce turn I would set up so that my squads are behind my ISD, and my flotillas are behind my ISD's mid-section. Since I have EWS their squads didn't have much to shoot at without overextending to shoot at my ISD side arcs or flotillas. Every list I fought was some combination of ISD + Quasar + Flotilla (sometimes) + Pryce + Thrawn or Sloane. The only unique lists I fought were a Quasar + Demo + 2 Flotillas Sloane list and a Raddus all-ship list.

Edited by GalacticFister

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Truthiness said:

Correct. Red fish, blue fish, crit fish, death wish :D

Ya got me.

I'm currently attempting to beat them with any non-meta thing (Madine preferred)

Edited by DunaMoose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DunaMoose said:

Ah, yes. It's a shame that she didn't make it to the finals.

It really depends upon what you're looking for.  We're still talking about a top tier performance.  And I think a skilled player can win with quite a few things against other good players.  It is only at that highest tier where you're looking for margin against the other highest tier of players that the effects of the admirals really begin to show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Vergilius said:

It really depends upon what you're looking for.  We're still talking about a top tier performance.  And I think a skilled player can win with quite a few things against other good players.  It is only at that highest tier where you're looking for margin against the other highest tier of players that the effects of the admirals really begin to show.

I'd go a little beyond that. I don't think commanders are good for every player. I've shown time and gain to be pretty mediocre with Rieekan and squads in general. I'm good with Raddus squadless. That's because he suits and often rewards my rather reckless style of play. Above all, I've noticed duck is at her best when she's able to be flexible. Madine is the epitome of that and the rest of that list is equally flexible. She's an excellent player all around, but I think Madine lets her play the way she wants in a way no other commander does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2019 at 5:08 AM, Truthiness said:

I'd go a little beyond that. I don't think commanders are good for every player. I've shown time and gain to be pretty mediocre with Rieekan and squads in general. I'm good with Raddus squadless. That's because he suits and often rewards my rather reckless style of play. Above all, I've noticed duck is at her best when she's able to be flexible. Madine is the epitome of that and the rest of that list is equally flexible. She's an excellent player all around, but I think Madine lets her play the way she wants in a way no other commander does.

Hmmm that makes me think why I like Vader's Triple Cymoon so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...