thespaceinvader

Discord Missiles

Am I doing the reposition right?

When they reposition, they move from the open end of the token, rotate 180 and attach the open end to the other end of the template right?  So, they can never leave a certain, small region of space, once fired, except by being carried on enemy ships?

48 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Am I doing the reposition right?

When they reposition, they move from the open end of the token, rotate 180 and attach the open end to the other end of the template right?  So, they can never leave a certain, small region of space, once fired, except by being carried on enemy ships?

I wasn't aware that buzz droids could reposition at all. The probe droids have their movement printed on the card, and there isn't anything on the buzz droids.

Wait, I have a question.  I always thought it was stupid that Buzz Droids would just fall off after 2 turns of being on a ship.  People on here said you can put them on the front if a ship, but then HAVE to get moved to the rear slot.  Hence, it is only on for 2 turns.

Someone else explained it differently in a way that makes more sense.  If you put it on the front,  each turn the enemy ship moves through it again and the template can be put on the front or back (as long as it doesn't overlap). So....conceivably it can ALWAYS be put on the front and it won't fall off....unless you hit an obstacle or BR off it.

Right????

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

Wait, I have a question.  I always thought it was stupid that Buzz Droids would just fall off after 2 turns of being on a ship.  People on here said you can put them on the front if a ship, but then HAVE to get moved to the rear slot.  Hence, it is only on for 2 turns.

Someone else explained it differently in a way that makes more sense.  If you put it on the front,  each turn the enemy ship moves through it again and the template can be put on the front or back (as long as it doesn't overlap). So....conceivably it can ALWAYS be put on the front and it won't fall off....unless you hit an obstacle or BR off it.

Right????

Unless the Droids cannot be placed in the front due to overlapping ships/obstacles which was pretty common in my test games with them. But, yes, if a ship never barrel rolls and never positions such that the droids cannot be placed in its front are, it will eventually die to buzz droids.

Side Note: Despite having an AGL and HULL value, it's always at range 0 of the ship whose guides it's in, so, outside of certain abilities (Arvel, Zeb) you cannot shoot buzz droids off of your own ship.

Edited by MasterShake2

I haven't had a chance to field my droids. How are the Buzz droids doing for you all? Is it good to have multiple ships carrying them? When is it good to launch them? (First round of engagement, just before, after?)

Thanks!

So far I've not played them well enough to make good use of them.  Getting them in the right place is distinctly non-trivial - but if you can shoot them underneath a swarm of TIEs or Vultures they have the potential to do INSANE amounts of damage especially if followed up with a full volley fire from the rest of the list.

1 minute ago, Force Majeure said:

I haven't had a chance to field my droids. How are the Buzz droids doing for you all? Is it good to have multiple ships carrying them? When is it good to launch them? (First round of engagement, just before, after?)

Thanks!

I've tried alternating between a few strategies, but they just felt clunkier and less effective than just equipping energy shells. I stuck them to a U Wing, the it just Leiad pivoted 90 degrees and flew away. Most ships have died with the Droid doing a single crit, maybe 2 on a stretch. I think a Droid swarm just wants bodies, but I could see a smaller ship count list possibly getting some good mileage.

5 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

Thanks!

One game. Held that fighter back until the swarm hit, and then swung in... Landed the droid, but left my fighter vulnerable in the process. The droid got shot at by most of my opponent's force before he killed them, allowing my vulture to live... but not really worth the position I put myself in.

Not saying bad - just need to make the approach differently and time the attack in another way.

5 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

Thanks!

I was in a tournament this weekend and some buzz droid attached themselves to my Major Vermeil on the front. He was already hit and had a fuel leak. Buzz droids then did their crit which unfortunately was a direct hit so he ended up taking 3 damage from them. He had one hull left at that point so the next round I dialed something just to get him out of the way of my other ships since I knew he was dead. Luckily he had a ship in his arc so he still got some shots before the buzz droids ate him.

51 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

If that's what you thought, then it explains a lot about your reservations in the pre-release thread. 

But it's totally, clearly wrong. I can't think where anyone would have got that interpretation from (not you, whoever said it). 

This is why some of us were so baffled that people felt Buzz Droids needed additional rules. It's so clear (to me) how elegantly they work. The overlap rules and placement at the front of the template mean they basically stick to the ship indefinitely unless the 'defending' player takes one of three actions to shake them off: 'scrape them off', by flying towards an obstacle or ship such that the template can't be placed on the front; shoot them off, by having another ship perform an attack; or 'dislodge' them, by barrel rolling wide of them to avoid the template overlap next turn. 

15 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

If that's what you thought, then it explains a lot about your reservations in the pre-release thread.

Yeah, some of the early people were saying it can only stick on for a max of 2 turns.  I was saying that was stupid.  I was told that it was "clear", etc..  Very glad it isn't that way.   Much happier.

I haven't used them yet, but am happy with Energy Shell Charges.

20 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

I can't think where anyone would have got that interpretation

20 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

It's so clear (to me) how elegantly they work

Different ways people learn, of course. Some learn by reading, some learn by doing... I need pretty pictures and a box of crayons to work it all out.

I suppose if you plan to run a mass of Vultures, you can get 3 buzz droids off if you place them on I1 ships and launch them at the first engagement and use them to try an funnel your opponent into a kill box if possible.

My expectation would be that if the Discord loaded Vultures don't deploy their cargo, they're going to be marked for death by the opponent ASAP.

Wrong forum, but here's what I'm thinking:

Trade Federation Drone (20)
Discord Missiles (6)

Discord Missiles (6)

Discord Missiles (6)

Energy-Shell Charges (4)

Energy-Shell Charges (4)

Energy-Shell Charges (4)

Energy-Shell Charges (4)

Energy-Shell Charges (4)
Total: 198

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

7 hours ago, GuacCousteau said:

; or 'dislodge' them, by barrel rolling wide of them to avoid the template overlap next turn. 

Dislodge by going backwards is also an option for some odd ships. 

2 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

I only put 2 Discord missiles in my 8-Vult list, opting to bump a couple ESC boys up to i3 instead.

Based on the current meta, I'm really thinking all I3 is the right call, but that doesn't leave room for discord missiles (6 with energy shells and 2 as calculate batteries)

Do I have this right? That a barrsl roll will allow me to rid my ship of the Buzz Droids? If the droids are attached to the rear guides a normal move willget rid of the droids? 

Aside from the blurb on page 3 of the Vulture expansion pack is there any additional information available? Someone mentioned a data card in another thread. There wasn't one in my expansion.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Stoneface said:

Do I have this right? That a barrsl roll will allow me to rid my ship of the Buzz Droids? If the droids are attached to the rear guides a normal move willget rid of the droids? 

Aside from the blurb on page 3 of the Vulture expansion pack is there any additional information available? Someone mentioned a data card in another thread. There wasn't one in my expansion.

The Vulture droid single pack should have come with the buzz droids template, discord missiles upgrade and the stat card for the buzz droids. How buzz droids function is on their stat card.

Edit: This is what the card should look like face up:

swz31_buzz-droid-swarm.png

Edited by Hiemfire

18 minutes ago, NilsTillander said:

So doing a 0 manœuvre also gets rid of them, right?

The same thought occurred to me. 

In order to relocate to either front of rear guides the ship has to either overlap or fly through the buzz droids, neither of which takes place during the speed 0 manoeuvre.

However, this doesn't achieve an awful lot, as the buzz droid is still at range 0 of the ship, resulting in the ship still taking a critical damage that turn.

To add insult to injury, the ship then has to move forward through the buzz droid swarm in the next turn anyway (unless the affected ship is a U-Wing enjoying its pivot wing shenanigans) which just means the buzz droid stays on the ship and continues to hurt it.

So in essence, you can do a speed 0 manoeuvre if you really want to, but it won't achieve anything on its own.

1 hour ago, NilsTillander said:

So doing a 0 manœuvre also gets rid of them, right?

You stay at range 0 of them, and they damage you in the combat phase, then you have to move through them.  It potentially allows someone else to carry them away from you or keep arc to shoot them, but it doesn't actually help.

12 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

I suppose if you plan to run a mass of Vultures, you can get 3 buzz droids off if you place them on I1 ships and launch them at the first engagement and use them to try an funnel your opponent into a kill box if possible.

My expectation would be that if the Discord loaded Vultures don't deploy their cargo, they're going to be marked for death by the opponent ASAP.

Wrong forum, but here's what I'm thinking:

I like the list!  I have 7 Vultures, but think I'll pick up an 8th tomorrow. 

I have enjoyed I3 on the Vultures as it won me one game.  I did take at least 1 I1 Trade Fed droid for blocking.  

I need to try out Buzz Droids, though,  especially since they don't suck like I thought they would.

21 hours ago, heychadwick said:

Right????

I think you have been had! The owner can put them on either nub. If they cant fit the front, they are moved to the back. They are moved when the ship they are attached to moves. You can barrel roll and then they dont move with you. 
The owner always decides where it goes, unless the rules circumvent that.

55 minutes ago, Archangelspiv said:

I think you have been had! The owner can put them on either nub. If they cant fit the front, they are moved to the back. They are moved when the ship they are attached to moves. You can barrel roll and then they dont move with you. 
The owner always decides where it goes, unless the rules circumvent that.

Yep.  I made a bit if noise in the threads prior to release that I didn't think it dropped off after 2 turns.