prauxim

Opinion: Deltas are being underrated

Delta-7 Aethersprite - •Anakin Skywalker - 82

•Anakin Skywalker - Hero of the Republic (60)
        R2 Astromech (4)
        Delta-7B (18)

Delta-7 Aethersprite - •Mace Windu - 67
    •Mace Windu - Harsh Traditionalist (46)
        R4 Astromech (2)
        Heightened Perception (3)
        Delta-7B (16)

ARC-170 Starfighter - •“Wolffe” - 51
    •“Wolffe” - CC-3636 (51)

Total: 200/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

I flew this in a local store tourney this weekend and did pretty well. Went 3-2 but lost to the same guy twice and that it came down to the last turn both games and lost by a combined 15 points over two games.

But the Delta's are so good. The fact they can reposition, take an action and still have mods for days on their shots is incredible. All without being stressed!

Not sold on the arc, I will try two torrents next time around.

Overall, I'm super impressed with them.

2 hours ago, AlexW said:

Looks like a quiet weekend for our Jedi.  Only squad that I could find did well was an Obi+3Arc list (and there weren't many even in the lists at all).   Anyone else see one that did well?

I was surprised how well my squad did at a local tournament.

I read a lot lately about having a single arc accompanying 2 Jedis. Cause in my mind 2 Torrents might be better... What experienced you guys so far?

1 hour ago, Ryuneke said:

I was surprised how well my squad did at a local tournament.

I read a lot lately about having a single arc accompanying 2 Jedis. Cause in my mind 2 Torrents might be better... What experienced you guys so far?

Personally I favor the Arc, either generic or named flavor.

Torrents are ok, but in practice I find the  Arc is harder to get around than even two of the V-19’s.

Also is I’m flying Jedi the torrents are the least of my concerns, I feel confident that I could indefinitely outfly 2, or even 3, with one of the named Jedi. Where am Arc like Wolffe or Sinker? They may take shots early to get them off. Which shots Wolffe is taking is a shot Mace or Ahsoka isn’t.

So in this thread (and others) the most popular list is ani/mace + arc or 2 torrent and yet the list that did the best for the republic was Obi and 2 arcs? 

Congrats to Jeremy Trad for coming top 4 in a hyperspace this weekend with the above list. 

Has anyone played this? What makes it so good? 

Is the key because the arcs are so impactful they have to leave Obi as the flanker? 

2 hours ago, K13R4N said:

So in this thread (and others) the most popular list is ani/mace + arc or 2 torrent and yet the list that did the best for the republic was Obi and 2 arcs? 

Both lists have a three force ace, with Mace being a more aggressive but flimsier substitute for an ARC - both are readily traded to secure a late game for Obi/Ani, I'd imagine.

3 minutes ago, svelok said:

Both lists have a three force ace, with Mace being a more aggressive but flimsier substitute for an ARC - both are readily traded to secure a late game for Obi/Ani, I'd imagine.

Sorry I ment 3 arcs with Obi 

3 hours ago, K13R4N said:

Congrats to Jeremy Trad for coming top 4 in a hyperspace this weekend with the above list. 

Is the key because the arcs are so impactful they have to leave Obi as the flanker? 

Well, one thing I noted is that there just weren’t a lot of them played at all.   That could be for a variety of reasons, but we’ll need a couple more weeks to try and figure out if it’s because they’re unpopular or just not very good in the meta.

With the newest data, the 2 delta+arc is now the second most frequent list to make cut, and has a very good conversion rate (40% while 16% is the baseline).

It looks like we/you were right, we just needed to wait for more tournaments.

I played one game with two Delta 7b (Obi and Ashoka) and two V-19 with cluster rockets against Tie swarm (6Acadenucs) and Lambda, recently. Delta are great when it comes to maneuverability, unpredictable and surprising is where they can be at the end of the move. They are strong enough to counter the attack of ships without modification and special weapons. Ashoka and V-19 had a synchronized console and unfortunately I could not use it because I was too far away (V-19 could not keep up) or I used TL.The game gave me a lot of pleasure and fun. These ships have great potential and are very pleasant to pilot. Finally, the V-19 was useful as blockers, I did not launch missiles. The result was determined by Deltas that survived until the very end.

18 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

With the newest data, the 2 delta+arc is now the second most frequent list to make cut, and has a very good conversion rate (40% while 16% is the baseline).

It looks like we/you were right, we just needed to wait for more tournaments.

Doesn't Australia skew that a bit?   Is Maryland part of that data (six lists with Anakin, most with 2 Jedi and Arc, all finished 59th or below)?   I'm very curious there as there were not many people taking the new stuff overall and the top players certainly stayed away from them.

I just took a looked again and the tournament in Wisconsin had another Obi+3 Arcs at 9th place.  Also, since I last checked, Ontario had added a hyperspace with 40 players.  Three of the top 8 lists were one Luminara and 3 Arcs.  The #10 list was Obi and 2 Arcs.  Other versions with ani placed 13 and 34.   The only strong finish I could find for 2 Jedi +1 were in Dublin where Ani and Ahsoka with an arc finished second in Swiss (4-1) but it was a smaller tourney.      I'm not saying one is better than the other, but the results are pretty short supply small right now, but it at least looks like there may be at least a couple of viable options.   I do wonder if, as Vader+Soontir+?? gains some popularity, if that will make it tougher for Jedi.

33 minutes ago, AlexW said:

Doesn't Australia skew that a bit?   Is Maryland part of that data (six lists with Anakin, most with 2 Jedi and Arc, all finished 59th or below)?   I'm very curious there as there were not many people taking the new stuff overall and the top players certainly stayed away from them.

20 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

You're right, it does drop to 2/7 without Australia. That is as good as delta+3 arcd (also 2/7)

2/7 is still 28.5% vs a 16% baseline... 

Just now, svelok said:

Oh yes absolutely, it's still up there. Though I hesitate to comment on lists that made cut just once or twice, and removing Australia pushes the list below my arbitrary threshold.

9 minutes ago, svelok said:

7 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Oh yes absolutely, it's still up there. Though I hesitate to comment on lists that made cut just once or twice, and removing Australia pushes the list below my arbitrary threshold.

I don't want to imply Australia doesn't count, but it was an area where it showed up and did the strongest for some reason.    I think that Maryland is kind of the opposite in terms of results for it.

I also think, as I said above, that this weekend will alter those numbers (if they aren't already in it).

1 hour ago, gennataos said:

That Australian event, @Morgan Reid and both Foss brothers make up 3 of the top 4 in swiss.

Well, I did know that, but what I meant was that it showed up there more than anywhere else I think (and not just in the top cut).

Posted (edited)

I played about 10 games with Quad Delta (Ahsoka + JKs, all CLT, 2x Sense) and I'm giving it up. It's a fun list, crazy crazy blocks. Solidly tier 1.5 I think, but a string of horrible dice luck luck has prompted me to move on.

I then played Ani 7B/Sae 7B/Ashoka CLT all with R4. My god, I didn't realize arc dodging could be so effortless. It felt dirty almost. I played a swarm of 5 Predator Outmaneuver RZ1s (bad list, but a good pilot) and my arc time advantage was INSANE. 

On a related note, I hope Heroic/Advanced Optics hasn't ruined the game for me. Die variance reduction is a **** of a drug.

Edited by prauxim

1 hour ago, prauxim said:

I then played Ani 7B/Sae 7B/Ashoka CLT all with R4. My god, I didn't realize arc dodging could be so effortless. It felt dirty almost. I played a swarm of 5 Predator Outmaneuver RZ1s (bad list, but a good pilot) and my arc time advantage was INSANE. 

My next version is Ani/Obi/Ahsoka with the same loadouts, though there's not enough for droids.

If multiple Delta combinations are getting some good results this early, then I think it's a strong sign. 1 +3 ARCs is obviously pretty jousty and probably easier to pick up.

More time with other combinations will undoubtedly improve results. There's a lot there to unpack.

On 4/8/2019 at 3:14 AM, K13R4N said:

Yeah, I flew 7b Obi and 3 arcs first at a major event, as far as I'm aware, at Adepticons Hyperspace Qualifier. I finished 5-1, though one of those wins was a concession. Not sure if they were inspired by seeing it or came up with it on there own. 

The list doesn't really do anything special. Arcs joust, block, and generally just get in the way while Obi flanks and dishes out some hurt. 

25 minutes ago, MegaSilver said:

Yeah, I flew 7b Obi and 3 arcs first at a major event, as far as I'm aware, at Adepticons Hyperspace Qualifier. I finished 5-1, though one of those wins was a concession. Not sure if they were inspired by seeing it or came up with it on there own. 

The list doesn't really do anything special. Arcs joust, block, and generally just get in the way while Obi flanks and dishes out some hurt. 

It's possible, but it was also an easy fit and one of the first lists I built when the points were announced.

Finally I had the chance to test CLT. I only played Anakin with it and really enjoyed flying him. Both titles might be a bit to expensive but nevertheless the Jedis are fun.

Yesterday I put SR Anakin on the table with 2 Arcs (one of them had Cody crew) and it was a blast to fly. 

Anyone of you played any of the Jedis with SR with success? Or what do you think of it in general?