Sign in to follow this  
KommanderKeldoth

Playing with yourself

Legion that is...

Recently the guy that I play most often with has a busier work schedule so I have not been able to get in as many games as I would like. So tonight I decided to play a game against myself. I now own enough to field two complete imperial armies.

It worked surprisingly well, actually. For command cards I would select 2 for each army and then randomly flip one of them over (that way I couldn't knowingly under-bid myself for initiative on key turns). Everything else is public information so the game lends itself well to solitaire practice (unlike X-wing which has a lot of hidden information mechanics).

One benefit of playing myself is that both me and my opponent had fully painted armies 😅.

Has anyone else tried playing with themselves?

I havnt had time recently but going back a bit I played a fair few games vs myself to learn the rules better.  I also did the random Order turning and it brought some daft situations up.

It works ok but you cant ever do anything to outthink your opponent...no matter how hard you try remain impartial 😀

There's a lot of stuff out there for solitaire miniature gaming if you look. You basically have a simple AI controlling one side. I imagine adapting the idea to Legion would be pretty straightforward. Shuffle the command cards, draw them at random, and then the rest of your op4's decisions would probably fit on a single 8.5x11 piece of paper as basically a bunch of if/then statements. 

4 hours ago, VAYASAN said:

I havnt had time recently but going back a bit I played a fair few games vs myself to learn the rules better.  I also did the random Order turning and it brought some daft situations up.

It works ok but you cant ever do anything to outthink your opponent...no matter how hard you try remain impartial 😀

I found that if I selected two options for each army and then randomly chose one of those it pretty much made sense throughout the game. I never ended up with one side using a card that was completely illogical.

From time to time.  It’s convenient often times to the social interactions necessary to initiate the process of playing with someone else which invariably requires at some point touching their stuff, which is not always desirable as you don’t know where it’s been.  

16 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

There's a lot of stuff out there for solitaire miniature gaming if you look. You basically have a simple AI controlling one side. I imagine adapting the idea to Legion would be pretty straightforward. Shuffle the command cards, draw them at random, and then the rest of your op4's decisions would probably fit on a single 8.5x11 piece of paper as basically a bunch of if/then statements. 

Someone remember Battle for Endor??

GREAT solitaire game from WEG

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3594/star-wars-battle-endor

8 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

They made a Hoth one too!

Good game. I wanted Legion to be that ... a game where you put five AT-ATs on the table with snowspeeders, infantry, AT-STs, and turrets ... and that was a normal-sized game.

Not enough dewbacks, but a good game.

Sarcasm free post.

I think playing solitaire can be a great way to get to know the units and their capabilities.  

I don't know that you even need to randomize command cards.  Most of the time they're not surprising.  Although I could see limited randomization (i.e. a two pip and three pip would both be totally reasonable, so I'll rolloff for it).  A system that can have Son of Skywalker come up turn one and Maximum Firepower last turn is just kind of silly.

It can be helpful for getting used to move and fire ranges and trying out some things that you might not in a live game.  And it can be quite entertaining on a rainy day.  If you don't overthink the strategy you can find yourself in some interesting tactical dilemmas against yourself.  Just don't expect it to bring the same excitement and surprise that a real game will.  

Good against remotes is one thing. Good against the living, that's something else.