Marinealver

What is the best Republic Gunline?

My favourite so far is Sinker with Cody, two Dedicated Torrents, adn BM Delta Ahsoka, but it's got 8 spare points kicking around not doing much.  I've tried Synched Consoles and literally never used them, and droids seem less than useful in context.  dropping Ahsoka down and putting Palps on Sinker isn't a terrible plan though.

But it's going tot ake a lot of getting used to, the movement profiles are all different and it flies very differently compared to a normal formation.

1 hour ago, thespaceinvader said:

My favourite so far is Sinker with Cody, two Dedicated Torrents, adn BM Delta Ahsoka, but it's got 8 spare points kicking around not doing much.  I've tried Synched Consoles and literally never used them, and droids seem less than useful in context.  dropping Ahsoka down and putting Palps on Sinker isn't a terrible plan though.

But it's going tot ake a lot of getting used to, the movement profiles are all different and it flies very differently compared to a normal formation.

Yeah I was practicing flying them in line. I remember doing column marching in boot camp so it isn't too hard. Hard turn then 2 1s, 2 banks then a 2. bank 2 bank 2... you get the picture.

It is very sluggish but to be honest all these arc changes in 2.0 has exasperated the 2-dimensional field of the game. So why not march them around the table when they have so many benefits instead of trying to fly them around.

9 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

This is certainly true, the missile options in the game are a hot mess.

But, here's what I think they were going for with Synchronized Console and the generally underwhelming missile options that exist: Homing Missile spam?  Since Homing Missiles let the defender "opt out" of the attack and suffer 1 Auto Damage, the lock is not consumed.  This would allow three Torrents with Homing Missiles and two Synced Consoles to threaten 3 Auto-Damage on a target unless it grants an earlier Torrent the full 4-Die attack.  Problem is, this combo is minimally 92pts of your list, and you can't be sinking half of your list's offense into something that can only threaten a 3HP (24pt) ship, especially when each piece of the combo is 32pts and easily PS-Killed.

So yea, I don't see anyway to make ordnance work on Torrents, but that's as much the missile options in the game as the Torrent chassis itself.  Which is fine with me, I think the game is in a better spot when filler ships don't threaten absurd amounts of front-loaded spike damage.

Mmhmm. Agreed. 

I think torrents are underwhelming and their missiles are underwhelming. 

I think its better that we don't just have super burst ordnance. But, the current choices of missiles are freaking awful. I wish they did more varied things without being garbage. 

17 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

I think torrents are underwhelming and their missiles are underwhelming. 

I think its better that we don't just have super burst ordnance. But, the current choices of missiles are freaking awful. I wish they did more varied things without being garbage. 

Well which missile is not underwhelming?

I'm just trying to get a gun line. Maybe it would be good if torrents had those energy shell charges. They can fire but then they have to reload.

2 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

Well which missile is not underwhelming?

I'm just trying to get a gun line. Maybe it would be good if torrents had those energy shell charges. They can fire but then they have to reload.

I've been trying to figure out which missiles is at least "whelming" also. So far I've seen most people going with either Cluster Missiles or Homing Missiles. I'm not sure Concussion missiles are worth the points on Torrents but I haven't seen anyone mention using Ion en masse.

Just now, NeonWolf said:

I've been trying to figure out which missiles is at least "whelming" also. So far I've seen most people going with either Cluster Missiles or Homing Missiles. I'm not sure Concussion missiles are worth the points on Torrents but I haven't seen anyone mention using Ion en masse.

Well missiles make great openers but terrible closures (due to the risk of the ship carrying them getting shot down). 

Cluster missiles are the best opening if you can get a couple of ships close by. Homing missile is only good against ships on their last hit, where they are forced to attempt an evade. But then again so is any other weapon in that condition. Concussion is only good if you have some way to deal damage cards spread but again spreading damage is a terrible strategy.

Just now, Marinealver said:

Well missiles make great openers but terrible closures (due to the risk of the ship carrying them getting shot down). 

Cluster missiles are the best opening if you can get a couple of ships close by. Homing missile is only good against ships on their last hit, where they are forced to attempt an evade. But then again so is any other weapon in that condition. Concussion is only good if you have some way to deal damage cards spread but again spreading damage is a terrible strategy.

I've thought about going with a multi-missile loadout. Maybe take Oddball with some Homing missiles to gaurantee he can pass a target lock with a Synced Console?

Honestly, 6 Dedicated Blue Squadron might be worth a look. With 5 hull each, and defensive rerolls a-go-go, they're going to be a pain in the neck to actually kill. 

You don't have to have a 3-dice attack to kill stuff, it just helps. 

Alternatively, a trio of Squad Sevens with Seventh Fleet Gunners, R2 Astromechs, Dedicated and Synchronised Consoles sounds interesting - because any given ship can play support ship to the others as needed (if a ship turtles up, spending its focus defensively, recovering shields and pulling dedicated rerolls from its wingmen, it's pretty hard to hurt, but it can recover its gunner charge and still contribute to the fight). 

I don't get why a bunch of Blue Squad Protectors with Cluster Missiles and MF aren't considered good.  You get 3 attack dice, which the V-19 needs and 4 Charges for enough shots.  If there is another ship at R1, you get another attack.  This seems pretty nasty vs. Vulture Droids or anything close together.  A few of these would be pouring the firepower at the same targets.

25 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

I don't get why a bunch of Blue Squad Protectors with Cluster Missiles and MF aren't considered good.  You get 3 attack dice, which the V-19 needs and 4 Charges for enough shots.  If there is another ship at R1, you get another attack.  This seems pretty nasty vs. Vulture Droids or anything close together.  A few of these would be pouring the firepower at the same targets.

Because low init TLs, basically.

7 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Because low init TLs, basically.

1) Depends on what you are facing, really.  Is Init 3 really so low? For aces, sure.  For Vultures and other options, not so much.  Everyone complains about 4 Phantoms,  but they are I3.

2) Oddball is Init 5 and Kickback is 4.

3) Ways to get TLs with things like Synch Console,  Battle Meditation, etc.

41 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

1) Depends on what you are facing, really.  Is Init 3 really so low? For aces, sure.  For Vultures and other options, not so much.  Everyone complains about 4 Phantoms,  but they are I3.

2) Oddball is Init 5 and Kickback is 4.

3) Ways to get TLs with things like Synch Console,  Battle Meditation, etc.

There is definitely room for combos there. But I suspect homing missiles are better. Massed and with TLs available via synched console they have a lot of potential.

I just thought of a list.   You can always knock off the Crackshot for 2 pts build.

V-19 Torrent Starfighter - Blue Squadron Protector - 34
    Blue Squadron Protector - (29)
        Cluster Missiles (5)

Cluster Missiles (5)

V-19 Torrent Starfighter - Blue Squadron Protector - 35
        Crack Shot (1)
        Cluster Missiles (5)

V-19 Torrent Starfighter - Blue Squadron Protector - 35
        Crack Shot (1)
        Cluster Missiles (5)

ARC-170 Starfighter - •“Sinker” - 62
    •“Sinker” - Wolfpack Veteran (54)
        R3 Astromech (3)
        Synchronized Console (2)
        •Clone Commander Cody (3)

Total: 200/200

Crack Shot doesn't work with the missiles. Neither does Sinker.

Changing Sinker for Jag and dropping the Crack Shots lets you have another 7 points to play with. I like Sinker and his ability as the game gets long is probably better but it seems like needing lots of locks you want to get some "free" ones. Without digging into the math I think it is a matter of preference. I like your idea more like:

V-19 Torrent Starfighter - Blue Squadron Protector - 36
        Cluster Missiles (5)
        Synchronized Console (2)

V-19 Torrent Starfighter - Blue Squadron Protector - 36
        Cluster Missiles (5)
        Synchronized Console (2)

Cluster Missiles (5)

Cluster Missiles (5)

ARC-170 Starfighter - •“Jag” - 57
    •“Jag” - CT-55/11-9009 (49)
        R3 Astromech (3)
        Synchronized Console (2)
        •Clone Commander Cody (3)

Total: 197/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

They're the "same" but different. Both lists come back to flying them right I think.

Posted (edited)

I'm thinking 3 arcs and 2 torrents are the best I am going to get. Sinker 2 squad sevens and 2 gold troopers gives me a fairly solid line but only 2 points left for upgrades. I can downgrade Sinker to Jag but that isn't much for points.

The other alternative is a 4 ship list either 3 arcs and a torrent. Sinker Jag Axe and a Squad seven is a solid Int 3 line and that gives me 17 points for upgrades. I could drop Axe for a Blue protector to have more to build up the Arcs.

Edited by Marinealver

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

So can anybody explain to me what good Torrents are? As a chassis they're god awful, but what makes them good?

The Republic has not fillers in the 30s range. We have to use torrents or end up with very few ships. Maybe the arrive of the N1 changes the situation

Sinker is a good add too.

Edited by DexterV

2 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

So can anybody explain to me what good Torrents are? As a chassis they're god awful, but what makes them good?

Cluster Missiles against swarms. Maybe not "good" but the V-19 is how The Republic can put missiles on the table. I think though it is a matter of getting the battle order sorted out. The Clones need help from their brothers and Jedi. You can't look at the torrent or arc or delta all on its own but how it fits with the rest of your list and then follow that plan and that plan's contingency plans. Sure Clones can think creatively but they really do better with orders. Your generic torrents want to barrel roll and evade then get a lock from a brother or co-ordinate. 

I don't think we've all quite sorted out the best way to leverage the action economy synergies of the Clones. We have to learn to resist the urge to spend that lock the sync console ARC took when he blanked his attack. His brothers need it for their missiles. Clones are a disciplined army and need to be flown with discipline. "They're doing their jobs so we can do ours."