Cloaker

How many factions is enough to invest in to stay competitive, but not go broke?

I've mostly been collecting all 3 of the main factions and just recently got mostly caught up with the new trilogy factions.  I wasn't really planning  on getting prequel stuff but it looks a lot better and more interesting than I expected, so that could change.  Still, I might rather just try to catch up with armada instead, though I'm sort of waiting/hoping for a 2.0 in that game as well.

Posted (edited)

Think about it like this

• Being competitive takes play time
  • If you are actually playing a ship you buy 10 times or more (needed to be competitive anyway) the cost/hour becomes very low for IRL entertainment
  • Realistic alternatives to playing xwing are all way more expensive (listed cheapest to most expensive)
    • Whiskey (decent whiskey anyway)
    • Cocaine
    • Hookers
    • Video Games made by EA
    • MTG
    • Sports cars
    • Children
    • Marriage

So perhaps the real question is, can you afford to not buy every faction in the game?

Edited by prauxim

Posted (edited)

3 factions, and that might be 1 more than time allows. I had all 3 in 1.0 and just never played Imps and rarely played Scum. I’m a Rebel at heart. When 2.0 came out, I knew I would not play all 5. And then when prequels was announced, definitely knew I wasn’t playing 7. So I sold off my Imps and bought Galactic Republic. So I’m at Rebels, Scum and Galactic Republic. Scum hasn’t seen the table in several months, so I might go down to 2.

Edited by ScrufeNerfHerdr

Posted (edited)

hard to know what to sell and what to hold onto. i have scum, rebel and galactic empire. almost sold of my rebel fleet but glad i didnt in the end. thinking of selling my Galactic Empire fleet. maybe i should wait a bit and see how they develop in the nxt 6months. i can actually see me playing them in hyperspace now bombers are in. good to have 2-3 options i guess.

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

Posted (edited)

Well I am mostly a collector instead of a tournament player. I don't get 2 of each ship or build lists that require multiples of the same expansion pack like the torpedo boats when 3 Jumpmasters was popular. If I have multiples, it is usually because they were released in different expansions. I tend to double up on expansions if they were meant to be a low point model (i.e. Vulture droid).

That being said, well I already breached the $1,000 club before 1st edition, and will likely hit that mark again with 2nd edition products after wave 4. 

That being said it is difficult to say and depends on what format and factions you chose. If you are going Hyperspace Scum then Wave 1 conversion kits are an expensive and unnecessary purchase however if you were to play 1st Order then the Wave 2 conversion kits are essential.

Right now given the context of your question I would say 2 factions and very specific ones. Republic and Separatists. Since they did not exists in 1st edition and only 1 ship has been out prior (but not in faction) then you can get those factions and be good in any official format selected by OrgPlay. Right now the ship selection is limited with only 3 ships per faction with 1 more ship for each coming out in Wave 4. But as far as OrgPlay and availability is then those 2 factions are the best choice. Some might say play exclusively hyperspace to be on a budget but the 1stOrder and Resistance and their reliance on conversion kits makes that almost as expensive as trying to start an extended Rebel list as you will have to search for 1st edition expansions and the price drop for 1st edition merchandise hasn't happened that much unless they were pre-opened (thanks to 2nd edition expansions having a higher price). 

Edited by Marinealver

On 3/25/2019 at 8:40 AM, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

But my vote is to go for 2 Factions, so that if you find yourself getting bored with the one you can turn to the other, and vice versa.  It'll keep your list-building and games very fresh while likely getting the majority of your purchases onto the table to justify their ownership.

This is basically where I'm at. When conversion time rolled around, only my Empire and FO collections were big enough to bother with the conversion. I was quite happy to buy some used FO ships off friends so that I had the whole FO kit covered. It feels pretty good to be able to field ANY possible list from that faction.

I play a few games once a week at my FLGS. Right now, even though I'm tempted by the Scimitar, I've got so many lists and ships that still don't hit the table regularly, I'm happy with these two.

I was actually going to just stick with 1st Edition and only picked up the Rebel conversion kit to play with the local scene when they were doing 2nd edition, but then Clone Wars was announced and yeah... so anyways I have all of the Republic and Confederacy and I'm hooked on the plasticrack again hahaha.

3 slowly going to 2 would be the answer I suppose as I'm done buying any Rebels now, Clone Wars for life!