Sign in to follow this  
dpuck1998

Tournament

So two decks I'm considering for a tournament tomorrow.

https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/0a8ba82e-0eec-465d-9bd5-cfa98ff8e533  

Ratings say this is a better deck, it sure can ramp and really control the board.  It has just enough steal to compete and Mimicry to counter events.

or this

https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/091e4aa6-b8e7-42a3-9d5d-78016cfd41aa

Lots of stealing, good control and can really put your opponent on tilt. 

Both are fun to play for different reasons, face to face against each other they pretty much split.  Just curious what others think about the two.

Trivial: Its steals (lifeweb) are hard to use unless you ahve "return to hand" cards, and you do have some so they may work. bt the setup is still hard. Untamed provides a lot of aember and some basic control (mumook for aember control) and mimicry could allow you to use an opponent's bait-and-switch or "too much to protect".
The DIS is good-ish but won't control the board for sure. The collar will be good, it's a bit of a cancer card,a nd gongoole x2 + mind barb can be very annoying for the opponent.
Brobnar's OK thanks to the Iron obelisk and high HP creatures, but apart from Relentless assault you really lack "oomph". Relentless would have been better if you had creatures with Shirmish int he deck since it can work on non-brobnar cards.
Not really that great because the Brobnar is lagging behind, and you probably lack things to deal with an opponent that has a lot of aember generation himself.

Fateshow: A strong DIS with poltergeist (really the best artefact user), three fates. Sacrificial altar will allow you to get rid of Dextre fromt he deck which is often a good thing. Some good creatures (Stealer of souls, charette) and less good (master of 2, mostly good agaisnt enemy Shadows if you don't have aember imps). Your Logos is good at trontrooling the enemy Aember but it's counter productive to ahve 2 Effervescent Principles of them (especially wih a bait and switch). Reverse Time is AWESME most of the time, just know when to use it (like after the enemy wiped your board or something). Your shadow is very good at stealing and controlling aember (safe place, skeleton key....). Safe place works well with effervescent principle as well.

I'd take Fateshow. A lot more synergies, and better ways of holding on to your gains and preventing the enemy from forging. Too bad you don't ahve any heals with Stealer of Souls.

Thanks for the write up, I agree with almost all of that for sure.  Like most decks they have some weaknesses and Trivial has a hard time if it is behind, but if the opponent can't board wipe it can be brutal with board control.  

Fateshow is what I've thought is my best option, but the rating sites seem to thing Trivial is better.

Hmm, I think Trivial is the superior deck here. Better board control, better aember generation and the other deck’s shadow house is pretty subpar if you ask me.

could be just a preference thing, but I think I would do much better with the first deck.

58 minutes ago, Palpster said:

Hmm, I think Trivial is the superior deck here. Better board control, better aember generation and the other deck’s shadow house is pretty subpar if you ask me.

could be just a preference thing, but I think I would do much better with the first deck.

They really are a toss up when they play each other, but I know that isn't the best barometer.  I don't think Fateshow shadows is the best it could but, but anything with Bait and Switch, Miasma and Too much to protect defiantly isn't subpar.  Dis for fateshow is where I seem to struggle.  

Well, fateshow's DIS has control the weak which can really turn games. Fear and hand of Dis and three fates are situational but since they will probably have the board control it's always nice to get rid of an upgraded creature with no difficulity. Poltergheist is awesome especially to break combos like the infinite logos draw with a nepenthe seed. Combined with reverse time you'll probably play it several times. Dominator baubble is rather occasional but it's still a deck thinner since it's an artefact, and sacrificial altar will work with your logos creatures. Charette is always nice to prevent a forge, stealer of souls will attract attention anytime he's played so play it that way. The terror is nice if you ahve it in the first hand and occasionally otherwise, but he's still tough with 5 anyway.And tocsin will also draw attention, forcing tem to get rid of him. As said before, master of 2 is bad, but meh...

I do'nt see why shadows would be sub par with that deck Miasma + B&S or TMtP is awesome. You don't lack steal with Ghostly hands, relentless whispers, urchin... you ahve a bunch of artefacts to thin your deck (works well with reverse time, again) and the annoying bad penny/seeker needle combo is here. Mooncurser + shadow self is anoying to deal with for an opponent. And safe place makes your B&S better as well.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all the input, I decided to play Fate because it think its more fun to play.  It performed well for me, the only thing that hurts is controlling the board.  I lost to too many creatures on the board and I couldn't get rid of them.  I'm one Gateway to Dis from being a really good deck I think.

thanks again! 

Edited by dpuck1998