Synnical

Template Tray w/lid

29 minutes ago, aswitcher said:

ETSY - Highbridge Design works well for me...

12 minutes ago, MegaSilver said:

Yep. Highly recommend it.

Picked up a Highbridge tray & templates shortly after 2.0 came out; I can't recommend them enough!

8 hours ago, Chudley said:

Looks great. Too expensive for delivery. I think I’ll try making one myself. 

In the interest of being more useful, here's my printable template to do the cutouts yourself. It's made to be printed on a Letter-sized piece of paper, it'll probably go very wrong on A4 paper.

You can use a jigsaw, scrollsaw or even a dremel with the routing bit (or a router with a tiny straight bit) to do most of it, then sand or file to get the fit perfect. Once your first layer is cut out, line it up with the second layer and trace small cutouts in the tips of the templates to be able to lift them easily. I do the bank and range rules on both ends. The lid is just a slightly large piece of hardboard with strips glued all around the edge. Plan how you'll lift it out though. My tray has 2 corner cutouts, my son's has two cutouts on the side (the pic is pre-cutout).

I meant to try to embed magnets to help them stay closed, but we more or less stopped going to tournaments, so it wasn't necessary anymore. Should be easy to do though.

Here's my son's:

phoenix_tray.jpg

On 3/23/2019 at 8:23 PM, aswitcher said:

ETSY - Highbridge Design works well for me...

+1, have seen 5-6 different variations and HighBridge looks the best IMO. I'd recommend non-painted, don't like the paint. Also they have a fehlder-mini size that has 2x smaller trays room for misc tokens. I have an don't even have but have the mini, its great. 

7 hours ago, gennataos said:

DistrictFoundry has the best on the market, IMO.  Small footprint, modular design and uniquely customizable.

I want to like these, but no r3 ruler space, and the arrangement of the templates are weird (e.g. the type of template's are not grouped together).

Maybe still make sense if you love the idea of using a lunchbox though.

18 hours ago, joeshmoe554 said:

I built this a while back.  It doesn't have a lid but it does a good job of holding all my maneuver templates and taking up a very small amount of table space.

That's beautiful, but I had a wooden template holder that was of a very similar design and constantly had issues with it getting knocked over. Not everyone is as much of an oaf as me, but that's the reason I swapped over to a tray.

3 hours ago, PanchoX1 said:

they have a place for it to slide in on the bottom of the tray or lid, can't remember which.

It slots into the optional storage tray. Seems a lot less convenient than having it in a proper top-access tray. Plus it don't fit in the lunch tin like this, so why bother?

There's also a stick-on r3 holder for the tin, better but still kinda awkward.

Would probably be great if they upzised the system to felhder-mini size. Too cramped as-is.

il_794xN.1789720057_gn8w.jpg.c64e9d8f2e22b8d1824ef56888b63af2.jpg

I personally think the FeldHerr mini sized items are perfect for game table and size.  I run a template tray, range ruler tray + token tray, and Lid with edges when I attend tournaments.  Works really well and I got the setup from Cog-O-Two (then customized edges on the lid to not spill stuff between tables/rounds).  Buythesametoken has the same size and idea.  

District Foundry has really good stuff in a slightly smaller size.  The range ruler is too big to fit in a lunchbox but we've got a collapsible range ruler coming anyway if you're worried about that.  The lunchbox setup would be my go-to if I didn't already have the Feldherr mini setup.

I also have friends that have modified the 1/4" foam with cutouts and such.  Also works great for just range rulers and templates, but not tokens.