Sign in to follow this  
Burgie1996

A new thread: favourite investigators.

With FFG being pretty quiet at the moment and with TSN not released in the UK yet I find myself getting very bored. So I decided to start a new thread...

I would like to know what is your favourite investigator from each class, and why?

My favorite Guardian would have to be Zoey, simply because she is so good at what a Guardian does. Favorite Seeker, no doubt about it, Joe. He seems capable of handling himself in solo and multiplaye. For Rogues, Jenny, because resources and and an actually good statline. Mystics, Marie. Because good intellect. Survivors, Rita for the win. She can run circles around everything.

Posted (edited)

I haven’t used the circle undone yet but I expect some of them to usurp a few spots.

Guardian: Roland.  I like his investigator reaction.  Getting clues after killing enemies is amazing.  I also am eagerly awaiting the agency backup card so Roland and a posse of feds can come and wreck scenarios.

Seeker.  Daisy.  I enjoyed the old Arkham novels that had a Daisy in them so I am biased towards her. No real mechanical reason I prefer her over other seekers.

mystic.  Akachi.  I love the increased charge count on spells.  Diana may  take this spot since I am biased towards her.  She is one of my favorites from previous games.  

Rogue.  Jenny.  I love that she is decent at everything and she can just throw money at things.  Preston will probably take her spot once I play with him since he can throw even more money at things.  

Survivor.  Wendy.  I like high agility characters best and I think it’s funny that  these cultists and monsters keep getting foiled by  some random little orphan girl.  😛  Rita may take her spot once I try her out since she leans heavier on the agility.

Neutral: Lola.  Because.

Edited by pixcalcis

Ditto on not using the Circle Undone.

This is a hard question for me as I find all the investigators great from a mechanical standpoint.

Guardian: I mostly play multi player and I haven't often chosen Guardian.  That being said I am currently playing Leo so I will say him.  He is a real solid character and I have a lot of fun with the allies.

Seekers:  These I have played a lot.  I am going to go with Ursula, last time I played her, I felt she was behind the curve for half the campaign, but then I got right upgrades in there and she started firing on all cylinders.  That created a great sense of accomplishment that I don't get from other investigators that start strong and get stronger.

Rogues: I like Rogues, but everyone else seems to want to play them.  I am going to go with Jenny.  To quote a friend of mine when looking at her miniature, "Oh, she seems ready for anything."  Sefina is pretty rad to since she has such a different playstyle.

Mystics:  This one is hard.  If you ask me if I was going to play a mystic, I wouldn't know which one until you tell me who else the other players are playing.  If I force myself to choose in a vacuum, I am going to go with Akachi, she is more of a pure spell slinger than the others.  I regret writing that even now.

Survivor: I like them all but am going to go with Wendy.  She has to deal with things with finesse and style rather than just beating things with a bat (or axe).  I also like that since she is so event driven that you can always surprise your fellow players with what she can pull out.

For the neutrals I will go with lola.  Thats not much of a competition.

Guardian: Roland. My first investigator ever played so maybe I’m biased, but I still find him fun and interesting to play in all scenarios.  His signature ability is just so satisfiying.  Zoey is a close second and is probably the most effective overall.

Seeker:  Ursula.  She’s fast, effective, fun, and I love the theme.  Also, more movement!  I really don’t know what else to say other then I just like her.  She’s probably my second favorite investigator in the game.

Rogue: Sefina. She’s. Just. So. Much. Fun.  Events are my favorite type of player card and she gets some of the best in the game and can play them over and over.  She’s my favorite investigator in the game.

Mystic: I’m sure I’m in the minority here, but Jim has always been a favorite of mine.  He doesn’t have the raw power of Agnes or Akachi, but his ability and other stats make him an ideal flex investigator and his signature asset is great.

Survivor: This is my least played class, but I think Silas is quite fun.  He just kind of brute forces his way through tests with his skill cards and he has an eye patch.  That’s worth extra points.

Posted (edited)

I love Jim, he is pretty flexible, able to use hand or arcane slots to either investigate or fight.  Most of the other mystics seem limited to using hands for support for their spells.

Edit:  I also think a lot of people don't get him and try to play him to much like Akachi or Agnes and then he comes up to weak.

Edited by Jobu

Posted (edited)

I'm just going to weigh in on two, both of which I'm currently playing in campaigns.

Favorite: Yorick. He's just so fun. Full of cheap assets. In my current deck he only has 2 cards, Timeworn Brands, that cost more than 3 to play. And the vast majority cost 2 or less. Couple that with Ever Vigilant and he can completely gear up in 1 action and only 3 or 4 resources. He easily can get up to a combat strength sufficient to tackle anything and has virtually limitless health & sanity so not afraid of tanking anything. Even heavy duty investigators have a max health/sanity of 8 and hits of even 2 or 3 are a big deal. He just shrugs them off. I'll just find my teddy bear, leather coat, or Madame Labranche out of the garbage for 0-2 resources and be fine. He's got a really decent card pool available to him. Survivors have some good cards. And Guardians 0-2 some great supplements to that.

Least Favorite: Jenny. 3 is a very weak stat. It makes you just adequate enough in things to be inadequate in them. Great. You can kick and kill a rat. You can get those 2 clues out of that 1 shroud location. But anything you want to be able to do reliably, 4 - 5 is the minimum. So anything she wants to do she has to pump and her card pool isn't awesome. Sure she makes money over the course of a scenario. But so much of the decent stuff in rogues is expensive. Getting her going is a struggle and lots of Rogue weapons rely on ammo which are expensive to reload and still have limited use. Sleight of Hand is great for that but you can pretty much only do it twice.

The commonality is how much I feel like I'm fighting the deck. How often I find myself coming up short in being able to do what I want to do or to be able to play what I want to play. For Yorick that's rarely. For Jenny that's often. And that's the difference.

Edited by PJimo

Guardian: Mark Harrigan. He might be the only Guardian I haven't had a poor play experience with, which I realize is just luck. He really is just a pure killer of enemies, but with the ability to soak and heal damage that Guardians have, you can really use Sophie to do more than just kill enemies. I think with his obvious focus on killing enemies, Sophie makes for real meaningful decisions, particularly in lower player counts when enemies might not be in abundance and you need to do other things to help win.

Seeker: Joe Diamond. He was my first favorite investigator in the second edition board game, so this is partially a nostalgia pick, but so far through "The Circle Undone" he has been an absolute champ! I think his hunch deck not only puts on display the great design space, but is just super fun to play! I'm a fan of classic movies and old time radio shows, so thematically, Joe really is just a thematic victory for me!

Rogue: I keep going back and forth between Sefina and Finn, but I think Sefina Rousseau is going to win out just because, as was mentioned by a previous poster, she is just so much fun to play. She was the first investigator design (at least that I played) that really threw out all previous vanilla design I was familiar with and challenged me to build and play in a new way, and that has become my favorite part of the game with subsequent investigators.

Mystic: Agnes Baker. My first favorite investigator in this game and still my favorite investigator! Mystic is my favorite class overall and while Akachi and Diana are up there (Diana might take the top spot if she continues as she has been), Agnes' ability to do some good when bad happens to her, her fun back story, and just the ultimate example of regular folk finding themselves in extraordinary situations that represents Lovecraft's writings, it all just brings a smile to my face to see her in play!

Survivor: Calvin Wright. Yes, you heard me right, I said Calvin Wright. Just a clever design that invites you to play in a very different, challenging, and fun way! I love the feeling of walking that 5 damage and 5 horror line, being able to handle any test while on the brink of absolute disaster, which makes for a tense second half of scenarios. I have never been disappointed playing Calvin! On a side note, I do have a man crush on Silas Marsh. He is my absolute favorite investigator in all of the Arkham Files. Once I get my hands on him, he will default to my favorite Survivor.

Posted (edited)

Guardian:  Leo.   I love guardians but they are so expensive, and the green cards can give Leo some much-needed help there,  helps him to get rolling faster than other guardians, and keep himself going longer.

Seeker:  Probably Daisy.   Really I like most of the seekers pretty well.  Daisy's 5 Lore is super though, and free tome action gives a consistent advantage.

Rogue:   Jenny.    Just like her,  very versatile, one of my favorite characters.

Mystic:  Hard one,  I like most of the Mystics.   I don't think Jim is the most powerful, but I always have a good time playing him, and I just really like him as a character, I'm not sure why.   I also had a blast playing Mateo  recently.   And if you havent tried Mateo (in co-op), definitely do so,  he's way stronger than he appears.  Starting scenario 1 with Relic Hunter and enabling 2x Holy Rosary or Holy Rosary/St. Hubert's Key is top notch.  You really feel the impact of that 5 bonus experience, especially early in the campaign.   And if you are packing 2x Arcane Research you are just going to have way more XP than other characters at the same point in the game.   You can continue to push XP advantage with Delve too Deep if you want, or not.   Mystic sphere is so versatile and strong you dont miss much from not having access to other colors, though both Alter Fate and Custom Ammunition are nice pick ups.   

Survivor:   Well...   I don't really love the survivor group.   probably Wendy here because at least she gets green cards and can use them well.  Her redraw is nice too.

Edited by awp832

Guardian: Obviously I'm gonna say Carolyn Fern, for whom I have published 3 different decks and who is my favourite investigator in the game. She's gonna be my next character played again now the Meat Cleaver exists. And that's a bit of a shame because it prevents me having a fighty choice - I'll be curious to try out Roland again at some point and I enjoy pretty much all the other guardians. 

Seeker: Minh is my favourite (though I have yet to try out any of the new characters from The Circle Undone), as she plays very differently to the other seekers - and I find the other seekers very boring.

Rogue: I've had a lot of fun playing Sefina, played her in 2 campaigns and made good use of the Ornate Bow. I haven't played much of other rogues, though Preston Fairmont looks like amazing fun. 

Mystic: Akachi Onyele is my favourite by far, she's straightforward and flexible and really gives me the feeling of being able to handle any situation. Plus her unique asset is amazing. Again, she might end up being supplanted by Diana though... 

Survivor: This is a tough one. I think it still has to go to Ashcan Pete, the first investigator I really loved. I like his ability to get started from the very beginning, letting you work on the scenario and carry the team early on. He also has a great deal of flexibility, and you can build him in so many interesting and unique ways. Sadly he tends to drop off in the latter part of a campaign. Honourable mention to Wendy, who is the roguiest non-rogue out there and great fun. Her ability is absurd and also enables a lot of interesting approaches. The less said about the others, the better, though one day I do want to see if I can make Calvin work. 

Posted (edited)

Guardian: I have to say Carolyn, but that's because the guardian playstyle is just not what I enjoy. If I'm going guardian, I'm going support oriented. I could probably be convinced to like Zoey or Mark though if we absolutely need firepower.

Seeker: Seeker is tough... They are so very different. I like Minh and Norman (is he reaaaaally a seeker though?). Joe seems exceptional but I haven't used him yet; 40 card deck with offense capabilities and a discounted resource cost on your insights? YES PLEASE. I want to give Norman a try with the Hawkeye Camera though. I thought about putting him under the mystic section, but eh.

Rogue: Sefina. She is the most durable 5 health character... with 4 agility and 4 willpower, she can avoid almost any damage while also being able to hoard resources and use mystic events to supplement her signatures and character ability. She also makes Tarot easier to activate. Double or Nothing Storm of Spirits has saved my friends lives on more than one occasion, and the big money cards coming out only give her more options. She's incredible, her low health being her only shortcoming really. 2nd favorite is Preston having tried him in a short campaign. He is ridiculous with only a fireaxe and streewise.

Mystic: Mateo is almost too strong in my opinion, but for pure 'best' mystic, I'd choose him. He starts with extra xp, and his elder sign is one of the strongest in the game. I'd probably go with Agnes as my 2nd favorite, but only if you're playing a group that needs more damage output. Jim will blow them all out of the water on higher difficulties though.

Survivor: Rita and Wendy. They both have similar roles but Rita is a bit more of an offensive tank, whereas Wendy is a bit more of a distract and pick up clues kind of survivor. Wendy's ability is very fun, but Rita has brought to the table a whopping 5 agility, and had no problem getting to where she needs to be on any given turn.

Final Favorite: Sefina, hands down. She is just too versatile, durable, and uniquely fun to play.

Edited by Soakman

Guardian - Mark. I like Zoey as well, but Mark seems more reliable. 

Survivors - my least favourite class, but It's a toss up between Ashcan and Rita. Pete and Duke are an awesome pair for solo, but Rita was great fun in a two-player circle Undone.

Mystic - I've not played mystic much, but so far I'm liking Diana. I feel like I haven't quite cracked how to build for her yet, though. 

Seeker - Ursula. Played her through forgotten age, and it was great fun. Rex is powerful, and I really want to like Joe, but I've had the most fun with Ursula.

Rogue - my favourite class. Jenny, no contest. I've played her through multiple campaigns, and always had a blast. I want to try out Preston, but I haven't got around to it yet.

Guardian:
Roland Banks. I always liked the agency when playing the Call of Cthulhu LCG, and Roland Banks seems to epitomize that faction.

Seeker:
Minh Thi Phan. I absolutely love committing and drawing cards, and Minh can get away with it more than any other investigator. I also like supporting characters, and the +? for everyone else - plus the chance to commit cards anywhere on the table - is golden!

Rogue:
Hmm... Seeing as I haven't played Preston Fairmont yet (who I think will be my new favourite rogue), I'm gonna say Sefina Rousseau. Drawing that opening hand always makes my toes feel all tingly.

Mystic:
Probably Father Mateo. I have never played a mystic in a campaign, but I enjoy the thought of being able to turn a tentacle into an elder sign. It's like the biggest "up yours!" to the chaos bag you can find.

Survivors:
Wendy or Ashcan. I'll say Wendy for her street orphan theme, but Ashcan for his game mechanics. Both of which are the investigators that I find myself playing most often.

Posted (edited)

Guardian:  Carolyn.  Especially in multiplayer since she has such an interesting focus on healing people's sanity.  Yeah she is not the paragon of monster killing efficiency that most guardians are, but maybe that's telling me I'm not a huge fan of playing fight-y guardians.  Runner up is Leo.  That piles of allies deck is so fun to play.

Seeker:  Daisy.  It's for sure Daisy.  I haven't played her in a while, but I love that she is rewarded for playing with tomes.  It feels so thematic that Seekers should be be able to use tomes better than anyone else in the game.  Her off class spell casting is pretty thematic since she's going to pick up some tricks from all that research.  Starting at such a high int also feels real nice.  Runner up is probably Joe since Joe's hunch deck feels so good when it works in your favor.

Mystic:  Agnes.  Its hard to get away from Agnes. It just feels really good to always have that ping damage option.  Also having access to the Survivor pool means she is a very forgiving investigator to play.   Therefore it tends to just be a bit more relaxing to run an Agnes deck in my opinion.  Runner up is probably Father Mateo.  I love the idea of screwing with the chaos bag, and I think it's pretty thematic to have a priest in the game petitioning for some sort of divine protection against the horrors the chaos bag generates.

Rogue: Finn.  I loved playing Finn.  When he's winning then he's winning big.  When he's losing then he's losing big.  It's a real roller coaster.  Also just making evading that much more economical feels great.  Runner up Preston.  Preston's strategy is just so different.  It's Jenny on steroids.  At least Jenny could be played conventionally since she has a middling stat line.  Preston doesn't have that luxury.  You gotta lean into the money aspect of the Rogue pool hard.

Survivor:  For sure Wendy.  Wendy is great.  Once you embrace being a sneaky, lucky orphan then she's a ton of fun to play.  She's definitely not Joe or Roland style direct power, but the way Wendy can potentially manipulate the odds for success and fall back on Rogue tricks to get her through jams is real satisfying when it's all working.  Runner up is probably Yorick since his recursion ability is so powerful.  that strategy makes his deck play real different from any other investigator in the game.  Also who doesn't wanna play a paranoid gravedigger who wants to be a Shakespearean actor.

Edited by phillos

Guardian: Carolyn, runner-up Leo for the reasons Philo gave. I've been doing four-handed campaigns, and Carolyn keeping everyone sane and wealthy is awesome. Leo and a deck of Expendables is serious fun, especially once he has a pair of Charisma down.

Seeker: Rex is almost mandatory for cluevering with 4 "players". Joe Diamond made a strong showing when I used him, as the ability to shoot everything while collecting clues is quite useful.

Mystic: Agnes. I haven't run many Mystics, but her ability to deal a bit of extra damage gives her the edge for me.

Rogue: A tie between Finn and Skids. I love extra actions with Rogues and they get one included as part of their character..

Survivor: Wendy. That crazy little urchin going all Mathilda with her Rogue events while clutching her teddy bear teaches the monsters a well-deserved lesson in messing with the wrong people.

Guardian: Leo Anderson - I love when he pushes his, uh, "allies" into snake traps and also laughs at Dunwich's timing mechanics. 10 damage? Oh noes! That might kill a few of my "allies." Good thing Leo won't notice or mourn their loss. Oh, look! Here come some more "friends" - people sure seem to trust Leo despite the mortal attrition his proximity brings. Also, access to Rogue cards gives him some really interesting plays. 

Seeker: Daisy. Or Ursula. Mostly Daisy because my Daisy RttDL had a the (truly ridiculous for Daisy) Necronomicon story asset, sat behind a lvl 3 Barricade, and just bought clues from across the map. Every clue in Blood on the Altar found without moving. Where Doom Awaits and Lost in Time and Space defeated in 6 turns. Wackiest deck. Ursula's probably more consistently fun and useful across all campaigns, though.

Rogue: Jenny beat Dunwich on expert solo in my household. I am brewing a Tomb Raider style FA expert solo playthrough deck. Fearsome.

Mystic: Lola Hayes is my favorite Mystic because I like to break things and test limits, not just build the most powerful decks possible. In fairness, I've only played Akachi as a straight Mystic, but I've beaten Dunwich and Carcosa with a heavily Mystic flavored Lola. I eventually want to beat all campaigns with the "worst" investigator. The queue of investigators I want to take through FA is long.

Survivor: Rita is my current investigator and is making the a case for herself to be my favorite. She can clear enemies, dodge stuff, move really fast to where the action is, and lightly find some clues. That's just about everything. She just ruined her track shoes chasing around a werewolf in a swamp and we beat it with an entire agenda unseen.Speedy.

Favorite seeker would be Rex Murphy just because he's a clue vacuum and is a nice homage to Carl Kochek the Night Stalker.  My favorite survivor is Rita just because she has a high evasion that works well with her special ability.  Finn Edwards is my favorite rogue because I love his special ability and elder sign ability.  Jim is my favorite mystic just because he was the first mystic I have played as and I liked that fact he has a trumpet that can summon the dead.  Roland Banks is my favorite guardian because he was the first guardian I played.

Ursula. She takes four actions a turn without needing any setup; five with Pathfinder. And she's in the class that can best turn action economy into winning. She's one of my favorites in Eldritch Horror as well. It's just a shame her backstory, to my knowledge, is quite bland -- I'm only familiar with in-game blurbs.

And, um... I guess other classes have good investigators too:

Zoey. Stabby Stabby. 

Diana. I haven't even played her yet, only looked on as she perfect-parries the encounter deck.

William "Plays Guard Dog Five Times for No Actions" Yorick.

Sefina. Hold up, Monstrosity. Let me just paint a portrait of me sneaking up behind you.

I missed this topic the first time around, but i will contribute now.  

Guardian: Mark Harrigan is my favorite in this class because of his risk-reward mechanic.  He is arguably the best slayer in the game, but you have to balance this power, otherwise he becomes one of the worst overall characters.  Zoey is a close second only because recent cards make deckbuilding for her fun, such as Blood Eclipse.  

Seeker: Rex Murphy was my favorite in Eldritch Horror because of his mechanic, but in the lcg, its Ursula.  The deckbuilding is very toolbox with the relics she can take and you can customize her to fit the role needed.  

Rogue: Skids was my favorite because of the combos and amazing turns he can have.  However, Preston is my new favorite because he has a unique playstyle.  Fragile at first, but a powerhouse a few turns in.

Mystic: Agnes Baker because of, again, risk-reward.   Marie Lambeau is risk-reward as well, but i prefer Agnes more because I don't want the rest of the table to pay for my sins lol.  

Survivor:. Calvin Wright.  This guy is insane, especially in one-shots.  In campaigns, it can get scary if you keep drawing his weakness.  He really got better with the Circle Undone cycle as well.

Guardian: Zoey takes it in terms of raw power for me imo. Great will and the cross is so action efficient. But I'm not sure she's my favorite because I just find her too easy so it's likely gotta be Leo because he's just fun to play. (Basically feels like a RPG character in how he ramps up)

Seeker: Ursala, super versatile and you feel like Indiana Jones.

Rogue: Jenny because I'm biased. I always pick Jenny in Arkham files boardgame.

Mystic: Diana - if Jenny doesn't work in my Arkham files boardgames, then it's Diana. I'm not too fond of her new storyline rewrite. I liked her being an actual cultist who "sees the light" rather than "I was a shopkeeper who got fooled" but I always liked her mechanics.

Survivor: Wendy. Somehow she just feels very fit in a Lovecraft universe. Plus she's very fun to play.

Posted (edited)

Guardian: definitely Leo. cheaper Allies always in play and provides a huge advantage with the free action. Can run the BAR, Contraband and Stick to the Plan for gigantic monster killing relatively quickly...add in Double or Nothing and it's even better. Access to the new cheaper Hot Streak and other resource generators is great. Can use Adaptable which for 1xp is a must have in an 8 episode campaign. I can see the appeal of Mark or Zoey, but Leo really is above everyone else IMO.

Seeker: Rex is a lot of fun but in multiplayer I'd go with a fast-draw Minh deck. Too much fun helping out and drawing cards all the time.

Rogue: I'm not a huge Rogue fan and Jenny is WAY overexposed in Arkham Files for me! If I had to choose I'd pick Finn and his evading.

Mystic: haven't tried Diana yet so will go with Jim. Playing in a campaign with him right now and he's pretty effective.

Survivor: Calvin. Come on what's not to like about riding the edge...

Neutral: no opinion on Lola, seems like a headache to play from my perspective:)

Edited by Krysmopompas

This is hard, I cannot choose from my top 2 in most factions.

Guardians: Zoey. This pick is biased for success, Zoey has been my by-far most deadly Guardian, the free cash when engagement happens is just so clutch. Roland I also like but I havent had nearly the same success with him.

Seekers: Norman, no contest. DR. Knifey punchy! Joe diamond is cool too.

Mystics: Agnes baker, I grab a bow and a bunch of spells and go arcane archer! 

Rogue: Finn, super agile and lethal when he wants to be, also grab all the clues, so flexible, so fun.

Survivor:........ Everyone but Calvin. Seriously I like all the survivors except Calvin.

I've only been playing a short time, and I haven't played with all of the characters so far- but here are my favorites at the moment.

GUARDIAN - Leo : I like the idea of a grizzled expedition leader who has gotten far to used to losing people and yet he keeps toughing it out. I'm getting ready for our next campaign where I plan to play him.

SURVIVOR "Ashcan" Pete - I love Duke. I like the idea of a shiftless guitar strumming drifter who lazily goes through each investigation while his dog does all the work. A bit of a Shaggy and Scoopy mentality to it. I just finished a campaign a few weeks ago where I played a "bum" deck... nothing costing more than 2 resources and the broker I was the better I did.

SEEKER: Minh Thi Phan - I am currently playing Minh in Carcossa... and I just enjoy that she's this prim and proper, ultra sharp toned secretary.

MYSTIC: I haven't really found that perfect Mystic just yet- right now, gun to my head, I was say Father Matias. I like the idea of a priest using his faith to fight the forces of evil.

ROGUE:  Although a little early, I'm going to say "Tony Morgan"- because he's a bounty hunter. No other reason than that.

Let’s see...

Guardian: Mark Harrigan, he is like Wolverine, the best at what he does

Mystic: Jim Culver, but only because I’ve had more succes with him than any other mystic, I would say Norman is my favorite “mystic” if I could

Rogue: Preston Fairmont, because he is such a fragile beast, kinda like Calvin, but way more fun 

Seeker: Norman Withers (but could be replaced by Joe Diamond soon, he is so fun), because I loved his novella and the way you build him up as the campaign progresses

Survivor: I can’t choose, “Ashcan” Pete, Silas Marsh and William Yorrick are all so good and I’m really starting to love Rita Young, but if I had to choose it has to be Silas, cool story, cool deckbuilding and he is a seaman (like me!), what’s not to love