Sign in to follow this  
Icelom

Impervium Plating Vs Hull upgrade

93e0fe1b2931944d128126b854c4ad33.pngCard_Upgrade_73.png

6pts for impervium, and 5pts for a hull upgrade.
(belbullab-22 only)

What are peoples thoughts on this.... With the soulless one upgrade you have 5hp of hull to work with but my gut feeling on this is if I really wanted to add more sustainability to the ship it's probably better to just spend one point less and put on a hull upgrade as having "ship" crits land seems like a risky play when +1 hull is just another hp straight up. But the ship crits are very nasty being able to cancel a direct hit could be massive or really any of the ship cards.

Curious what other peoples thoughts are on this upgrade and its value.

Posted (edited)

Feels like a high risk/reward type card... in that the risk is you're paying a lot of points for a card that may flop on you. Might never get hit by a crit, but if you do it feels pretty darn good just to throw a card of damage or two away, let alone face up ones.

Edited by LagJanson

Impervium seems competitive to me. 2 charges vs one "charge" for Hull Upgrade and the chance to ignore some of the worst crits in the game completely seems pretty good as a trade-off fo rhte certainty of +1 Hull. It's a bit situational because you may just die to regular hits or Pilot crits but I'm going to try it out for sure.

With Soulless One, Definitely. 5hp is plenty of time to see at least 1, if not 2 crits and most crits (including unfixable ones like Structural Damage) are of the Ship type. Without Soulless One, meh. 3 hull just isn't a lot and there's a good chance that the only crit you see is something with the Pilot subtype or you die without ever seeing 1.

It seems like a solid card, as long s your opponent is lucky with crits.  Especially so if there are torps, x1s, etc.

Ship crits are most of the crits, and the big ones are double damage.  So this is functionally something like 3 extra damage you can take, but it might be 0 extra if you get unlucky.

I suspect it's a little overpriced, but not much.

9 minutes ago, Tvboy said:

Soulless One if you have Impervium plating, Hull Upgrade if you don't. 

Or something like that. 

I mostly agree with this, except I'm always tempted by Afterburners instead.

Well it seems closer to shield upgrade if you ask me. The one advantage Hull plating has if there is no critical damage, as a facedown will still knock out 1 hull point. Put 3 on a Bulb w/ Impervium and it is dead. Put 3 on a Bulb with hull upgrade and it has 1 hull remaining. 

Just now, millertime059 said:

People in your local are playing Drea?

A few people bring degeneracy to test each other's lists for large events. I wanted to keep the kit tourney casual so I nuked Drea to Oblivion. The list wasn't good against the rest of the field, but at least a mindless spam list was stopped from winning store credit.

1 hour ago, player3010587 said:

A few people bring degeneracy to test each other's lists for large events. I wanted to keep the kit tourney casual so I nuked Drea to Oblivion. The list wasn't good against the rest of the field, but at least a mindless spam list was stopped from winning store credit.

I understood none of that.

Posted (edited)

Would the impervium plating help against proton bombs and an unlucky crit from asteroids/debris? As impervium plate just says when you are delt a face up (ship) damage card. 

Edited by Ubjub
More concise

11 minutes ago, Ubjub said:

Would the impervium plating help against proton bombs and an unlucky crit from asteroids/debris? As it just says when you are delt a face up damage card. 

Neither of those say that, they both say 'dealt a [crit] damage'.

Proton Bombs changed from 1e, but debris clouds have always done that.

Currently there is no way for a ship to be dealt a face up non-pilot card directly.

1 hour ago, thespaceinvader said:

Neither of those say that, they both say 'dealt a [crit] damage'.

Proton Bombs changed from 1e, but debris clouds have always done that.

Currently there is no way for a ship to be dealt a face up non-pilot card directly.

I meant that the impervium plating just stated a face up card. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

Just played vs Grievous with this.

Two crits scored on one shot, both nasty, both discarded.

So potential if LADY luck.favors you.

Played 2x games both would have been better with hull upgrade.... I do think it's pretty luck dependant. Only pulled pilot Crits.

Edited by Icelom

5 minutes ago, Icelom said:

Played 2x games both would have been better with hull upgrade.... I do think it's pretty luck dependant. Only pulled pilot Crits.

That is pretty unlucky.  8/33 crits are pilot, so less than 25%.

But I guess if Kylo is ever the meta, Impervium Plating is likely worse than Hull or Shield.

Keep in mind how rarely you would pay the 5 points for Hull Upgrade. It's not like you see it being worth that price on X-Wings or whatever similar statline ships.

Impervium is one point more, and you're gambling on whether it'll better or worse. Soulless One is a multiplier on it but I'm not sold it's worth six points without.

I think it's actually a few points overpriced for non-Soulless B22s. At 3-4ish it would start to be appealing on like, Kraken Wat or generics.