Sign in to follow this  
Mark It Zero

A boxed set box suggestion.

Posted (edited)

Picked up the new books locally. They look great, and I like the way modules are built almost like a mini boxed set.

Got me thinking that FFG should make and sell a boxed set style, sturdy box to store the beginner game and all the modules, with a tray for tokens and dice.

Put some killer art on it and I’d buy it. Maybe throw in some extra tokens, maybe some cheat sheets, and a random table toolkit booklet.

Just a thought.

Edited by Mark It Zero

Posted (edited)

*shrug* I gather that there are a handful of similar modules on the way and it seemed like a good idea. Gonna have lots of tokens, maps, and small booklets to manage.

Edited by Mark It Zero

I use 3 ring holders that slip into the middle page and place them in a binder. The tokens go into a bag. A box might be too specific a product. Special edition boxes seem to work as an upgrade for hard cover books for some companies, but for soft covers a box seems imperfect. I just don't see that being a viable product at this point in the industry. Especially as a retail product.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, GM81 Protocol Droid said:

I use 3 ring holders that slip into the middle page and place them in a binder. The tokens go into a bag. A box might be too specific a product. Special edition boxes seem to work as an upgrade for hard cover books for some companies, but for soft covers a box seems imperfect. I just don't see that being a viable product at this point in the industry. Especially as a retail product.

Let's not put too fine a point on it: it'd be more pricy than it'd be worth for a lot of potential buyers. We like nice things, but we're not made of money. Price matters.

Then again, looking at that play mat it doesn't seem like that's a major concern in FFG's thinking so what do I know.

Edited by nameless ronin

Posted (edited)

I mean, I’m just thinking sturdy cardboard, and cheap plastic insert trays, like they already make for their board games. I’m not picturing a super luxury product here.

I’m thinking more like the boxes for Cards Against Humanity or Smash Up that just give you a place to stash all your expansions. There are plenty of examples of similar products for $20 to $30. I’d hardly call that too expensive considering how much I’ve spent this year so far on RPG products.

Anyway, I’ll just track down a suitable old game box, prime and paint my own art on it, and make my own.

Edited by Mark It Zero

RPG boxes just haven't sold well of late from what I understand. I am all fine with FFG trying. I suppose their beginner's game boxes do decently well, they just don't do storage. Also in fairness to FFG, their board games don't really do storage either. It all just sort of floats around once the tokens are punched.

To be cheap it needs to be produced in good numbers. I think the big hindrance for FFG is that these would be items that are a niche product for a niche product. They do plenty of those products so it this isn't a deal breaker.

I can think of plenty examples for board and mini gaming storage, but I cannot think of anything like this for RPGs that do both book and token storage. I'm sure there are out there though, 

Posted (edited)

biggest problem with what you're talking about is the target demographic: Gamemasters. That's at least 1/4 of their target for the market that may or may not buy it to store adventures that they may or may not have bought.

It'd be tough to recoup the initial investment unless there's something in it that would also get player interest beyond niche and collector appeal. 😕

Edited by NeoSamurai

This is what I use (an Officemate portable clipboard off Amazon). I keep character sheets in the side pocket on the left, the GM screen and booklets in the main compartment, pencils in the bottom, and dice and tokens in the two side compartments. Obviously more than what you'd like but I'm very happy with it.

71dvQf0UCOL._SL1500_.jpg