Jump to content
kempokid

Triple Sprites, Anyone?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Originally called this "Triple Deltas" but that was a little misleading given none of the Sprites have the Delta title... 

 

Most up-to-date version of my list as of August 2019:

New Squadron

(62) Anakin Skywalker [Delta-7 Aethersprite]
(6) R2 Astromech
(20) Delta-7B
Points: 88

(47) Obi-Wan Kenobi [Delta-7 Aethersprite]
(6) R2-A6
(4) Calibrated Laser Targeting
(5) Sense
Points: 62

(44) Plo Koon [Delta-7 Aethersprite]
(4) Calibrated Laser Targeting
Points: 48

Total points: 198

 

Originally: 

Delta-7 Aethersprite - •Plo Koon - 59
    •Plo Koon - Serene Mentor (51)
        Calibrated Laser Targeting (8)

Delta-7 Aethersprite - •Obi-Wan Kenobi - 63
    •Obi-Wan Kenobi - Guardian of the Republic (53)
        R4 Astromech (2)
        Calibrated Laser Targeting (8)

Delta-7 Aethersprite - •Anakin Skywalker - 74
    •Anakin Skywalker - Hero of the Republic (60)
        R2 Astromech (4)
        Calibrated Laser Targeting (10)

Total: 196/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

Edited by kempokid
accuracy as of 8/2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well imo Obi and Ani should both have Delta 7B to give them a bit more punch as it might be hard to line up bull's eye shoots to make Calibrated Laser Targeting work... also those stock deltas are a bit weak when it comes to taking punches... also would add Luminara or Ashoka instead of Plo... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Green Squadron 3 said:

Well imo Obi and Ani should both have Delta 7B to give them a bit more punch as it might be hard to line up bull's eye shoots to make Calibrated Laser Targeting work... also those stock deltas are a bit weak when it comes to taking punches... also would add Luminara or Ashoka instead of Plo... 

I5 and I6 pilots who can boost or barrel roll after their manauver should not have problems lining up bullseye arcs. Also Plo and Obi-Wan work well together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kempokid said:

Also Plo and Obi-Wan work well together

You might want to watch out for that one.  My guess is that 'transfer 1 green token' will not count as 'spends a focus' ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eljms said:

You might want to watch out for that one.  My guess is that 'transfer 1 green token' will not count as 'spends a focus' ...

Right, the transfer doesn’t count as spending it, but who he’s transferring it to likely will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, kempokid said:

Right, the transfer doesn’t count as spending it, but who he’s transferring it to likely will.

It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out.  Ordinarily I'd say that pilots with 2+ force probably aren't going to take focus that often.  Actions are going to be for re-positioning and TLs (or even evade although you can see why that needed to be purple).  That said, these jedi have lots of things to spend force on.  

Edited by eljms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been thinking about something similar. I definitely think Callibrated is the way to go. Though I'm not convinced by Plo; I'm not a fan of transferring tokens like that. 

Anakin Skywalker (60)    
    R4-P17 (5)    
    Calibrated Laser Targeting (10)    
    
Ship total: 75  Half Points: 38  Threshold: 2    
    
Obi-Wan Kenobi (53)    
    Heightened Perception (3)    
    R4 Astromech (2)    
    Calibrated Laser Targeting (8)    
    
Ship total: 66  Half Points: 33  Threshold: 2    
    
Barriss Offee (43)    
    R4 Astromech (2)    
    Synchronized Console (2)    
    
Ship total: 47  Half Points: 24  Threshold: 2    
    
    
Total: 188    
    
View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic Republic&d=v6!s=200!273:,214,200,:;278:72,5,200,:;275:,5,,211:&sn=Ani%2FObi%2FBarr&obs=

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, eljms said:

It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out.  Ordinarily I'd say that pilots with 2+ force probably aren't going to take focus that often.  Actions are going to be for re-positioning and TLs (or even evade although you can see why that needed to be purple).  That said, these jedi have lots of things to spend force on.  

Yeah that’s my concern. Plo and Obi can help out by using a focus to keep a Force or so in tact instead of depleting their charges every turn.

Let’s also not forget this is a list of I6, I5, and I5 pilots who can take potentially multiple actions per turn.

Edited by kempokid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Stefan said:

You essentially have three super-charged A-Wings, that's my main concern with this...

Except they have better initiative, better abilities, and more force tokens than A-Wings.  Those are major distinctions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think CLT is the kind of thing that will need to be experienced to be understood.  I think some folks are valuing it like a nice but rare perk on a mostly 2-red ship.  I think some folks are valuing it almost like a 3rd red die.

I'm closer to the second camp.  It never seemed too hard to get bullseyes on Soontir, so why should Anakin be different?  I kind of want to run him with a generic R2 Astromech, because adding a shield and regen to Soontir would be amazing.  However, in comparing the two, Soontir always gets his 3rd die but not always focus, while Anakin always gets his focus-like Force, but doesn't always get his 3rd red die.  So it'll come down to on-table geometry.  How hard really will it be to get the bullseye shots on Anakin?  Considering that he can easily reposition once on a full white dial, and can potentially reposition twice, I think it won't be too hard.

But the direction I lean towards on Anakin is certainly CLT/R2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, kempokid said:

Except they have better initiative, better abilities, and more force tokens than A-Wings.  Those are major distinctions.

Sure! I just think the list has a very low floor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ayedubbleyoo said:

I'm not sure how they can do enough damage. Every game will go to time with all the ships remaining! 

Well Anikins ability pretty much requires you to be flying close to your opponent, getting into range 1, then using all the repositioning you could ever need you get a ship in bullseye. 

Those 2 dice have now become 3 dice and a focus. With a lock, some force/focus that's a good chance of 4 hits.

Obi-Wan can do similar. 

Sure it won't happen every turn, but it doesn't have to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

I think CLT is the kind of thing that will need to be experienced to be understood.  I think some folks are valuing it like a nice but rare perk on a mostly 2-red ship.  I think some folks are valuing it almost like a 3rd red die.

I'm closer to the second camp.  It never seemed too hard to get bullseyes on Soontir, so why should Anakin be different?  I kind of want to run him with a generic R2 Astromech, because adding a shield and regen to Soontir would be amazing.  However, in comparing the two, Soontir always gets his 3rd die but not always focus, while Anakin always gets his focus-like Force, but doesn't always get his 3rd red die.  So it'll come down to on-table geometry.  How hard really will it be to get the bullseye shots on Anakin?  Considering that he can easily reposition once on a full white dial, and can potentially reposition twice, I think it won't be too hard.

But the direction I lean towards on Anakin is certainly CLT/R2.

That's a really good thought actually. And if you keep Plo close, he can pull the disarm off Anakin if Anakin still ends up with a better shot than Plo that round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Delta-7 Aethersprite - •Barriss Offee - 55
    •Barriss Offee - Conflicted Padawan (43)
        Calibrated Laser Targeting (6)
        Brilliant Evasion (6)

Delta-7 Aethersprite - •Obi-Wan Kenobi - 67
    •Obi-Wan Kenobi - Guardian of the Republic (53)
        Calibrated Laser Targeting (8)
        Brilliant Evasion (6)

Delta-7 Aethersprite - •Anakin Skywalker - 78
    •Anakin Skywalker - Hero of the Republic (60)
        R4 Astromech (2)
        Calibrated Laser Targeting (10)
        Brilliant Evasion (6)

Total: 200/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

This will be the 1st Triple Delta I try, I prefer Barriss over any other 3rd ship if pairing Anakin and Obi-Wan together. Barriss adds extra offensive punch and without taking the 7B configuration will be a nice added option.

Edited by Cgriffith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obi, Ani, and Plo are wildly efficient aces - with their maneuverability and IValue, bullseye is easy, so they can count on odds slightly better than 3 dice with focus, because 1 focus is guaranteed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got to put this on the table today. Faced off against a Kylo/QD/FO build. I had the bid so that was really handy in this game. Gave him initiative. I ended up winning with only losing Plo.  Ani and Obi Wan each only took one hit. I will say my opponent wasn't the best Kylo flyer ever and used autothursters too much which made next round moves easier to predict.

A few takeaways:

  • Fined Tuned Controls is amazing. Even in the opening round, being able to boost/barrel roll depending on your opponent's opening moves is highly beneficial. I avoided a really round joust with QD by shifting directions after the opening turn. And since you don't usually fire on the fist turn you don't have to worry about spending a force charge; you'll just get it right back.
  • I didn't have trouble lining up bullseye arcs. At all. Granted, his Kylo got caught in some bad spots that made his moves predictable so that helped.
  • Plo is a handy wingmate for Anakin. Since Anakin is going to be using FTC a lot to set up that bullseye, having Plo feed him a focus to keep his Force from depleting worked out. He was also there to take the disarm from Ani if he used R2, but I ended up not losing a shield until after Plo got taken out.
  • I didn't use Obi Wan's ability once. It's a little underwhelming. I pretty much just made use of his i5 and Force charges; that's about it. I'm thinking if I make a change to the pilots, it'd be Obi-Wan for Ashoka or Mace Windu. But an i5 with 3 Force charges is nasty enough by itself that I want to keep him for a few more games.

I still have a lot of playing to do before knowing if this is a good list. It was one game, and it was not the best performance by my opponent, who I usually have tough matches against.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's what I wanna try:

Anakin Skywalker (60)
R4-P17 (5)
Calibrated Laser Targeting (10)

Obi-Wan Kenobi (53)
Calibrated Laser Targeting (8)

Plo Koon (51)
Calibrated Laser Targeting (8)
Total: 195

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

 

In my games so far, lining up bullseyes wasn't a problem at all and that extra focus result really did a number on my opponents. Also, I don't get the R4 on this platform... they are barely ever stressed anyway. So far, I couldn't have cared less about whether the turns are white or blue. So only R4-P17 on Ani to help with his ability and a 5-point-bid. I am contemplating R2s though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Marev said:

n my games so far, lining up bullseyes wasn't a problem at all and that extra focus result really did a number on my opponents. Also, I don't get the R4 on this platform... they are barely ever stressed anyway. So far, I couldn't have cared less about whether the turns are white or blue. So only R4-P17 on Ani to help with his ability and a 5-point-bid. I am contemplating R2s though...

R4 is great because it opens up the dial after sloops/k-turns. That blue hard one after a sloop is nice. Not to mention it can be helpful if your opponent puts stress on you as well. It’s just good for its value of 2 points.

I’ve also found that since the new gas clouds only cost you an action, doing red moves through them basically comes with no consequences. It’s almost a pseudo strategy since we’re all so used to avoiding obstacles.

I got a second game in where I was able to keep Ani fully shielded by using R2 and having Plo pull the disarm off him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Revisiting this now that we’ve seen Ani/Obi-Wan doing some strong work in bigger tournaments.

Though Ric seems like a solid choice to go along with Ani/Obi, I still think Plo has some good symmetry with these Jedi. He can supply Ani with a focus after a double reposition and Obi can make sure he’s not depleting his Force. Also if Ani is caught where he needs to regen and shoot, Plo can bail him out.

(62) Anakin Skywalker [Delta-7 Aethersprite]
(6) R2 Astromech
(20) Delta-7B
Points: 88

(47) Obi-Wan Kenobi [Delta-7 Aethersprite]
(6) R2-A6
(4) Calibrated Laser Targeting
(5) Sense
Points: 62

(44) Plo Koon [Delta-7 Aethersprite]
(4) Calibrated Laser Targeting
Points: 48

Total points: 198

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to go the ric route, This is fun

AniMaceRic_GS

(62) Anakin Skywalker [Delta-7 Aethersprite]
(20) Delta-7B
Points: 82

(45) Mace Windu [Delta-7 Aethersprite]
(18) Delta-7B
(2) R4 Astromech
Points: 65

(42) Ric Olié [Naboo Royal N-1 Starfighter]
(4) R2 Astromech
(3) Daredevil
Points: 49

Total points: 196

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, pakirby said:

If you want to go the ric route, This is fun

AniMaceRic_GS

(62) Anakin Skywalker [Delta-7 Aethersprite]
(20) Delta-7B
Points: 82

(45) Mace Windu [Delta-7 Aethersprite]
(18) Delta-7B
(2) R4 Astromech
Points: 65

(42) Ric Olié [Naboo Royal N-1 Starfighter]
(4) R2 Astromech
(3) Daredevil
Points: 49

Total points: 196

Yeah, I dunno. I love Mace but after seeing other lists use R2-A6 and Sense on Obi, that’s a hard combo to pass up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2019 at 3:18 PM, kempokid said:

Yeah, I dunno. I love Mace but after seeing other lists use R2-A6 and Sense on Obi, that’s a hard combo to pass up.

am i missing something as im not seeing this combo lol - tried it and just though meh............ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, federalchipmunk1980 said:

am i missing something as im not seeing this combo lol - tried it and just though meh............ 

Not seeing it in the list I posted or just in general?  It's on my list above, and it's the one Caron Wray used to win the North American Championship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...