Tvboy

This can’t be right...

Posted (edited)

The I2 ARC-170 with a talent slot is 42 points. 

The I3 also with a talent slot is 47.

5 points for just 1 initiative? Also 1 point over a T-65 buys +3 health and a rear arc at the cost of just 1 agility? It feels like they made a mistake with the cost on the I2 generic. It makes it feel like you’re  paying a ton of points to take any of the other pilots over the I2. 

What am I missing that is making the I2 generic so cheap or the I3 generic so expensive?

Edit: Also let’s talk about Jedi Knights and the 7b config. A I3 Jedi with 7b is 54 points. A red squadron vet with the same stats is 43. Is a single force charge and the option to spend that charge for FTC really worth 11 points on an I3?

Edited by Tvboy

I admit the Republic,haven't looked at CIS, has some weird costs.

There is the Arc like you mentioned. The V-19 is also the same, 25 for I2 and 29 for I3 with Talent. And its not like either ship does anything crazy, and when compared to the other two small factions the points are weird. RZ-2 I1 is 32 points, I3 is 34, and for T-70 I1 is 46 while the I3 is 48.

Posted (edited)

I like the I2 Arc and I2 V-19s price, feels right for what they bring to the table, I was expecting something more like 43-45 for the Arc 42 doesn't seem crazy, but you're absolutely right that the price hike for the higher initiative pilots feels a bit weird, especially for the V-19.

Edited by agenttherock

Ok I see that Launch Bay mistakenly has a talent slot on the I2, so that explains part of it.

Still not sure if an empty talent slot is actually worth 3 pints though? I guess trick shot is pretty good on these things. I’m not sold yet on Dedicated.

Given the cost and the fact that Dedicated cannot be equipped to non-generic ships, I honestly don't see the talent getting played all that often.

I also don't see the non-generic V-19 pilots getting too much play either. Their abilities are all very...middle of the road? None of them leap out at me as terribly useful, especially when combined with the platform they are on. I'm still going to give a 2 Delta-7, 2 V-19 list a stab, but I'm not expecting it to do well.

1 minute ago, Tvboy said:

I’m not sold yet on Dedicated.

Yeah me neither, especially not for that kind of price (3+a price hike), I only mention that Dedicated might be why because that's the only difference I can think of between the talented generics in this faction and those in other factions. Getting strained seems pretty bad, especially if you only have 5 hull and now 1 green die between you and the vacuum of space, just ask and un-shielded y-wing how it likes it's chances

1 minute ago, AceDogbert said:

Given the cost and the fact that Dedicated cannot be equipped to non-generic ships, I honestly don't see the talent getting played all that often.

I also don't see the non-generic V-19 pilots getting too much play either. Their abilities are all very...middle of the road? None of them leap out at me as terribly useful, especially when combined with the platform they are on. I'm still going to give a 2 Delta-7, 2 V-19 list a stab, but I'm not expecting it to do well.

Yeah the named V-19s seem pretty over costed for what they do but I'd love to be proven wrong

19 minutes ago, agenttherock said:

Maybe the higher price is because they are worried about the generics with Dedicated but then it would make a lot more sense to up Dedicated's cost right?

I was actually thinking the same thing.

If that is the case I would rather they up the cost of dedicated and decrease the cost of the pilots.

15 minutes ago, AceDogbert said:

Tucker with Juke is interesting, but only if you have a way to swarm tactics him up to 5. 

Maybe named Jedi with generic non-Jedi is supposed to be a strong part of the faction identity?

which leads to my 2nd problem which I edited into the OP: wtf is going on with generic Jedi 7b? 54 points for the same stats as a 43 point x-wing. Yes they get a single force charge and the option to use FTC, but is that really worth 11 points?

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Tvboy said:

which leads to my 2nd problem which I edited into the OP: wtf is going on with generic Jedi 7b? 54 points for the same stats as a 43 point x-wing. Yes they get a single force charge and the option to use FTC, but is that really worth 11 points?

5th brother shows us that FFG values the force charge at about 9pts. Add a point for the nicer dial, add a point for the permanent access to boost. Add a couple more points for FTC, and a few more for the extra shield, and you're definitely over 54.

Losing access to the torp hurts, I guess, but not that much. 

Edit: Baron to inquisitor is a better way of valuing the force charge at 5pts.

Still, 5 (force) + 1 (dial) + 1 (boost) + 2 (FTC) + 3 (Shield upgrade costs 6 really, but nah) = 12

Edited by player2072913

D-7B is indeed an expensive upgrade but you can do without it: it’s just 2 different ships !

D-7 will be tricky with low Initiative pilots 😅

I also think points are pretty weird.

Base points are mostly ok, though i think Arc could be +1 and Aethersprite -1 in generell.

But the upgrades that define this faction and could create diversity to other factions are all so expensive.

So ist seems either we play a mix of Rebel and Empire (Arcs + Aethersprites (~v1) without upgrades,  or we play pointwise inefficient, but with Republic identity.

Not sure if this is marketing to sell also Arcs additional to the cool new ships, or playtesting showed that the cool abilities are gamechanging and unfun, yet allready announced, so they got over the top expensive cost to prevent people using them. 

3 hours ago, Tvboy said:

The I2 ARC-170 with a talent slot is 42 points. 

The I3 also with a talent slot is 47.

5 points for just 1 initiative? Also 1 point over a T-65 buys +3 health and a rear arc at the cost of just 1 agility? It feels like they made a mistake with the cost on the I2 generic. It makes it feel like you’re  paying a ton of points to take any of the other pilots over the I2. 

What am I missing that is making the I2 generic so cheap or the I3 generic so expensive?

Edit: Also let’s talk about Jedi Knights and the 7b config. A I3 Jedi with 7b is 54 points. A red squadron vet with the same stats is 43. Is a single force charge and the option to spend that charge for FTC really worth 11 points on an I3?

They want you to buy four of them, then they’ll make a points adjustment. I’m only getting 1, maybe 2. I already have 3 and the dials are the same as the rebel dial. I’ll just be putting them in the dual upgrade kit so you can’t tell the difference. 

48 minutes ago, Pooleman said:

They want you to buy four of them, then they’ll make a points adjustment. I’m only getting 1, maybe 2. I already have 3 and the dials are the same as the rebel dial. I’ll just be putting them in the dual upgrade kit so you can’t tell the difference. 

...there’s no way the i2 is getting bumped above 50.

3 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

...there’s no way the i2 is getting bumped above 50.

Who can say? The resistance conversion kit came with three YT-1300 dials and they are costed at a level that only allows you to bring 2. 

21 minutes ago, Pooleman said:

Who can say? The resistance conversion kit came with three YT-1300 dials and they are costed at a level that only allows you to bring 2. 

Epic?

@Tvboy, yes the force is worth 11 points, last I checked. 

Compare to force crew cards. 

Sounds about right for an interceptor with passive mods that regenerate regardless of stress or any other mechanics.

6 minutes ago, TheCeilican said:

The I2 generic is about the only ship in the whole Republic faction to be correctly costed.  Don't take that away from them!!!

I think most of the named Jedi pilots are costed correct. 

Like Ahsoka, Luminara, Saesee, Mace Windu...

As long as you play them without upgrades / maybe with calibrates laser, they seem fair.

The generics are overcosted, as are almost all upgrades for the aether

2 minutes ago, Bucknife said:

@Tvboy, yes the force is worth 11 points, last I checked. 

Compare to force crew cards. 

Sounds about right for an interceptor with passive mods that regenerate regardless of stress or any other mechanics.

Its 5 for most other pilots. Compare V1 Baron and Inquisitor, compare Aethersprite generics and 2 force pilots, ...