Sign in to follow this  
drail14me

8 ship max, right?

1 minute ago, drail14me said:

Did I see where FFG said a list could have a max of 8 ships? So, ten Vulture Droids won’t work, right?

Until a Rules Reference update the cap on ships is still 8. So right now, no 10 is a no go, tomorrow though? Can't say for sure right now.

Just now, SpiderMana said:

Its in the tournament rules doc.

The app allows it, currently.

We’re just waiting to see, now.

The app has always allowed illegal lists to be saved. 10 Trade Fed Drones just doesn't trip the recolor of the points spent.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Hiemfire said:

The app has always allowed illegal lists to be saved. 10 Trade Fed Drones just doesn't trip the recolor of the points spent.

Right, I’m just saying it currently doesn’t stop you/give any sort of warning about legality. I think some people will take this as a ruling on the matter, unfortunately.

Edited by SpiderMana

3 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

Right, I’m just saying it currently doesn’t stop you/give any sort of warning about legality. I think some people will take this as a ruling on the matter, unfortunately.

The app has always let you save illegal lists. 

30 minutes ago, svelok said:

The app has always let you save illegal lists. 

But only points-illegality, is my point, and it shows a red number. Other things like multiple uniques aren’t allowed by the app, or putting upgrades on the wrong ships.

Theres no red number and this illegal list is unique in being allowed to be saved, in that regard.

Or you could just read the tournie regs:

Squad Building
Each player must build one squad to use in a tournament. A squad cannot
exceed 200 points, though it may contain fewer than 200 points. A legal
squad list contains between 2 and 8 ships from a single faction.

What peeps do for their own casual games is their business, bring 20 ships if you like !

Posted (edited)

8 Small Base ships of the same type was the current max.

It used to be 12 (only mattered to us Epic enthusiasts}, and was reduced near to the end of 1.0, so going back up doesn't seem inconceivable.

Although @Max Teranous points out an interested quote.

And the fact that the app still sucks as a reliable game source is disappointing.

As a further point, Epic only allows 4 Large Based ships of the same type in a list, and there has been no ruling about medium bases.

Edited by Darth Meanie

From the Squad Building section of the Tournament Regulations:

Each player must build one squad to use in a tournament. A squad cannot exceed 200 points, though it may contain fewer than 200 points. A legal squad list contains between 2 and 8 ships from a single faction.

@Darth Meanie, "same type" ruling is no-where in the Rules ref or the tournie regs. Was that a 1.0 rule? Your Epic point implies that.

If you're going to quote 1.0 rules then it's important to specify that as to not cause confusion IMO. The current rule is what i quoted.

I agree that it would be nice for the app to flag a "too many ships" violation for the game mode, but it was moot prior to this release so i can forgive it.

5 hours ago, Max Teranous said:

@Darth Meanie, "same type" ruling is no-where in the Rules ref or the tournie regs. Was that a 1.0 rule? Your Epic point implies that.

If you're going to quote 1.0 rules then it's important to specify that as to not cause confusion IMO. The current rule is what i quoted.

I agree that it would be nice for the app to flag a "too many ships" violation for the game mode, but it was moot prior to this release so i can forgive it.

Yeah, my reference point is 1.0.

Apparently you're never heard of me: Darth "Caught in a 1.0 Wormhole" Meanie.

But if 8 SHIPS is a hard cap, then @Burius1981 is also incorrect.  And I find it an odd new rule. . .

What will they do for Epic?

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jarval said:

From the Squad Building section of the Tournament Regulations:

"Each player must build one squad to use in a tournament. A squad cannot exceed 200 points, though it may contain fewer than 200 points. A legal squad list contains between 2 and 8 ships from a single faction."

While this is true its a really problem for running a tournament because no where in the rules or rule reference does it state this or in the squad builder app.

I am going to wager most players do not read the tournament regulations to figure out squad building rules. If someone shows up with a 10 ship list that the squad builder app and rules book and rules reference seem to allow then i would feel like a real **** telling them they cant play because there list is illegal due to a rule in a document that they really should not have had to read in order to squad build.

Edited by Icelom

41 minutes ago, Icelom said:

While this is true its a really problem for running a tournament because no where in the rules or rule reference does it state this or in the squad builder app.

I am going to wager most players do not read the tournament regulations to figure out squad building rules. If someone shows up with a 10 ship list that the squad builder app and rules book and rules reference seem to allow then i would feel like a real **** telling them they cant play because there list is illegal due to a rule in a document that they really should not have had to read in order to squad build.

You ok with peeps bringing a 300 point list ? Because the rules ref only recommends 200 pts, it doesn’t specify it. That is defined in the tournie regs!

28 minutes ago, Max Teranous said:

You ok with peeps bringing a 300 point list ? Because the rules ref only recommends 200 pts, it doesn’t specify it. That is defined in the tournie regs!

"SQUAD POINTS 

If players want full control over their pilots and upgrades, they can build squads using squAD points. When playing on a 3’x3’ play area, play at a squad-point limit of 200." - page 15 of the rulebook

So no I would not allow a 300pt list. and nowhere in that section does it say 2-8 ships... this is why I am concerned. but it does say:

"The X-Wing squad-builder explains the rules of squad-point building and enforces these rules so that players do not accidentally build illegal squads" - page 15 of the rulebook

So if they show up with 10ships because as per the rules they were not only not told they couldn't and were explicitly told the squad builder will enforce the rules so the list must be legal... then I have a big problem running the tournament.

Being a **** and trying to find a loophole in my concerns about people accidentally bringing illegal lists is not helping anyone.

4 hours ago, Icelom said:

If it's a casual game...meh? show the new player where they went wrong, tell them its ok for tonight, and game on. I don't think it'll make too much of a difference in the casual game space to allow the one faction that can do it to do so. If this player shows up to a tournament with 10 ships though, sucks to be them: they didn't read Da Rules.