Sign in to follow this  
Zsig

Icebreaker Limits Confusion

I see sysops activating/deactivating/reactivating ICE to react to various runner tactics. Perhaps a program isn’t stopping the runner(s) so the sysops pulls out a different gun, so-to-speak. Basically, a digital Pokémon battle.

As far as reactivating ICE, might that be for ICE a runner disabled for the whole run? The runner defeated the ICE but the sysops reboots it? If reactivation is automatic and disabling it is the result of a dynamic between the runner and a program, then it should stand to reason a third player (the sysops) can reactivate the disabled ICE (I assume the ICE isn’t completely destroyed). The ICE being disabled for a run, to me, assumes a sysops isn’t getting involved.

What’s interesting is the constant battle of melting ICE that’s continually popping back up, the runner having to make the call to keep it at bay, disable it, stymie a trace or find juicy data, etc. I picture it like trying to swordfight while searching a book for some secret. Not easy but oh-so awesome. 

A question about reactivated ICE: if the ICE reactivates while the Runner is still in the sub-system, does it automatically kick the Runner out? I'm trying to absorb a lot of information from the Core and SotB, so I've likely just missed what happens. Thanks!

Page 132: "...If a sysop activates or reactivates a piece of ICE, a runner can't access (or can no longer access)any of the subsystems behind it until they break through the piece of ICE (or break through it again)."

Given the clarification that ICE automatically reactivates once broken (unless you spend [triumph] to keep it down for the entire encounter), I'd assume this extends to the activation or reactivation of ICE for any reason. 

On 4/8/2019 at 8:39 PM, RyuujinKatsuya said:

Page 132: "...If a sysop activates or reactivates a piece of ICE, a runner can't access (or can no longer access)any of the subsystems behind it until they break through the piece of ICE (or break through it again)."

Given the clarification that ICE automatically reactivates once broken (unless you spend [triumph] to keep it down for the entire encounter), I'd assume this extends to the activation or reactivation of ICE for any reason. 

Agreed. I have the addition thought of wondering if a sysop should be able to reactivate downed ICE that a runner spends a Triumph to shut off for the encounter? My assumption is that ICE either reactivates on its own, as it does after standard defeat (or an extended time from Advantage), or is shut off until a sysop reactivates it. Thoughts?