Jump to content
player3010587

Ship Sizes

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

SHIP SIZES There are four different ship sizes: small, medium, large, and huge. A small ship uses a plastic base that is about 1-9/16” (4 cm) long. The rules of X-Wing are written for small ships and therefore there are no special exceptions for small ships. A medium ship uses a plastic base that is about 2-3/8” (6 cm) long. Medium ships have the following exceptions: • A medium ship requires two ion tokens before it is ionized and two tractor tokens before it is tractored. • Medium ships barrel roll differently (including while decloaking). A large ship uses a plastic base that is about 3-1/8” (8 cm) long. Large ships have the following exceptions: • A large ship requires three ion tokens before it is ionized and three tractor tokens before it is tractored. • Large ships barrel roll differently (including while decloaking). • During setup, a large ship’s base may extend outside of range 1 as long as it fills the length of that area. A large ship cannot be placed with any portion of its base outside the play area. A huge ship uses more than one plastic base. Huge ships have many additional rules. They were introduced in the first edition of X-Wing and will be reintroduced in an upcoming product. (Rules Reference, 16-7).

 

It was staring at us the whole time.

Edited by player3010587

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

SHIP SIZES There are four different ship sizes: small, medium, large, and huge. A small ship uses a plastic base that is about 1-9/16” (4 cm) long. The rules of X-Wing are written for small ships and therefore there are no special exceptions for small ships. A medium ship uses a plastic base that is about 2-3/8” (6 cm) long. Medium ships have the following exceptions: • A medium ship requires two ion tokens before it is ionized and two tractor tokens before it is tractored. • Medium ships barrel roll differently (including while decloaking). A large ship uses a plastic base that is about 3-1/8” (8 cm) long. Large ships have the following exceptions: • A large ship requires three ion tokens before it is ionized and three tractor tokens before it is tractored. • Large ships barrel roll differently (including while decloaking). • During setup, a large ship’s base may extend outside of range 1 as long as it fills the length of that area. A large ship cannot be placed with any portion of its base outside the play area. A huge ship uses more than one plastic base. Huge ships have many additional rules. They were introduced in the first edition of X-Wing and will be reintroduced in an upcoming product. (Rules Reference, 16-7).

 

It was staring at us the whole time.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're busy right now getting factions 6 and 7 launched and trying to keep both OP formats going strong. I think that after Episode 9 (because there will be large incentive to make a wave around that, given that it's an opportunity to expand the game with more movie material, how it will sell a little better since the wave's movie is out, how the sequel factions are tiny compared to OT/EU factions...etc.) they might have the opportunity. I don't know when they're going to pounce on it, but I don't think that we have to worry about the game reaching its conclusion before then. After all, 1st edition was a game that lived way longer than they expected: 6 years. A lot happened in that timespan, and although OP would probably vanish if they continued 1st edition considering how all the problems were built on bad foundations, the game would surely continue as a casual one for ages were it not for 2e.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wishful thinking tin foil hat tells me epic 2.0 will be announced at Adepticon, since ffg says the announcement has something for Xwing, Legion, and Armada.

Legion is obviously Clone Wars announcement.

It seems odd that a week after wave 3 hits the street we would see wave 5 already, so.... 

Here’s to hoping anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

They're busy right now getting factions 6 and 7 launched and trying to keep both OP formats going strong. I think that after Episode 9 (because there will be large incentive to make a wave around that, given that it's an opportunity to expand the game with more movie material, how it will sell a little better since the wave's movie is out, how the sequel factions are tiny compared to OT/EU factions...etc.) they might have the opportunity. I don't know when they're going to pounce on it, but I don't think that we have to worry about the game reaching its conclusion before then. After all, 1st edition was a game that lived way longer than they expected: 6 years. A lot happened in that timespan, and although OP would probably vanish if they continued 1st edition considering how all the problems were built on bad foundations, the game would surely continue as a casual one for ages were it not for 2e.

If they continue with the current schedule Wave 6 should be dropping roughly parallel with Episode 9 (this December). So Wave 6 will possibly contain the newer ships from there. If Disney et al is concerned about the ships in the movie being spoiled then Wave 7 (next March if current schedule is maintained) will likely have new ships from Episode 9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ScummyRebel said:

It seems odd that a week after wave 3 hits the street we would see wave 5 already, so.... 

Wave 5's initial preview article should drop in May (mid next quarter) if they're sticking to their current pattern of releases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, iwantbatteries said:

So you are saying  nothing written so far prevents me from using Huge ships in a standard 200 point game?

It is more the absence of the 2.0 cards and dials that excludes them right now. We also don't know if they still use the old Epic maneuver templates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iwantbatteries said:

So you are saying  nothing written so far prevents me from using Huge ships in a standard 200 point game?

For any game not part of an official tournament, you can do whatever you want.

In particular, the Huge ships work very well in games that otherwise use 2nd ed rules. Keep the points for the huge ships and their upgrades as printed on their cards, this makes them more balanced against the normal ships. There is a sub-forum dedicated to epic format, in case you hadn't seen it.

Have fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the moment I’d be happy if they just brought back the rule that allowed you to use a huge ship as an obstacle instead of your regular 3 asteroids/debris... just for the look on my opponents face when I place it on the table during the setup phase!

‘Using Huge Ships As Obstacles
Players may use huge ships as obstacles instead of as a ship in standard play. To do so, flip the ship token to the starfield side and follow the rules for adding obstacles described on page 20 of the core set rulebook, with the following change: one player places the huge ship obstacle first instead of
his three asteroid tokens. Huge ships may not be used as obstacles during tournament play, except in casual events in which the Tournament Organizer has announced prior to the event that they will allow huge ships to be used as obstacles.
The huge ship obstacle is not controlled by any player. It uses the rules
for overlapping and obstructing described under the “Additional Huge Ship Rules” section of this rulebook. It does not move, and it cannot be attacked, damaged, or destroyed.’

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mostly unrelated, but I wish there was some piece of information on cards, on price lists, or even in the app about what ships are what sizes.  I mean, we all "know" but that's not really enough.  A little box with a S/M/L/H inside wouldn't be obtrusive, but would be quite handy.  Many other miniatures games will tell you exactly what base size various models have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Mostly unrelated, but I wish there was some piece of information on cards, on price lists, or even in the app about what ships are what sizes.

Then I recommend using Launch Bay Next as your squad builder app... it displays an icon against each ship in your list to identify the base size. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

Very critical, because a seismic taking this out would be bonkers in the game.

Trick Shot Scum Han sure would like it, though.

In all seriousness, though, huge ships as obstacles is an awful game play experience.  They can't be physically overlapped and they are really annoying to always JENGA your way around when you're moving ships and measuring.  It was a terrible casual rule back in 1.0, and it'd be a terrible rule in 2.0 too.

Now, if they used the back side of the huge ship cardboard as like a giant obstacle token (be it a huge ship, wreckage, whatever), that could be interesting, since a nice flat piece of cardboard plays well with the game mechanics that already exist.  Whether one mega obstacle would be balanced or as fun as smaller obstacles, well that's still an open question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DexterOnone said:

Then I recommend using Launch Bay Next as your squad builder app... it displays an icon against each ship in your list to identify the base size. ;)

I do use LaunchBayNext, now that you mention it, but that's not really the point.  There should be something official from FFG for every ship beyond just the base token.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...