Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
drazen90909

My first vent - Tarkin's forced relationship

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Even from the minimal amount of posts I have on here, it can be seen that I play Empire and FO.  For second edition, I was so excited to see Tarkin, as in 1st ed. he was Epic only (which i did not play)

My vent...  with the exception of the Decimator (which is cost prohibitive to put a commander on), there are no Empire crew carriers that have Target Lock.  The result... Tarkin is now forced to be best buddies with Krenic.  From a cannon point of view, this is lame as they pretty much are the opposite of buddies.  From a synergy point of view (outside of Krenic adding the TL which is required) they have no synergy with each other.

I want to run Tarkin without Krenic... Run him with Vader, or a Tac Officer, or something that would be useful, cause his ability could be great.  But nope... just a bromance that no one wanted.

additionally, Tarkin's timing seems to leave something to be desired.  By making it the system phase, it forces the TL acquire to happen in the previous round.  If his ability fired at the beggining of engagement, then that would be awesome!!!!

Sad...

Edited by drazen90909
Spelling Corrections

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I have put Tarkin and Krennic on a Reaper or Lambda my head cannon is something similar to the scene in Rogue One where Tarkin antagonized Krennic into destroying Jedha and then took over the Death Star as well as using Krennic's arrogance against him(remember when Vader choked him out later for shooting his big gun off when it was supposed to be a secret weapon?)

I understand your frustration though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tarkin is… not good. Admittedly I have a different take on the Krennic symbiosis. Namely that it is hilarious to me that in order to get anything done he has to steal credit for what Krennic accomplished.

But his timing and effect cost have the same downside as Jerrijord. It’s a steep price for a potentially useful ability, with awkward or difficult timing. Compare Jerrijord to Leia, as they have a similar purpose, give extra fleet mobility. Jerrijord is far more restrictive, and far more expensive. Tarkin is better post points drop, but his timing is all sorts of awkward and difficult. Secsuse systems phase means you can’t spend it. Which means you probably are sacrificing your one chance to use the TL as the carriers aren’t that mobile. Or you ST-321 to forward TL

And he’s 3 charges to use.

Eh I like the idea, but realistically what makes good use of him? What ships that have a lack of TL that can’t mod other ways. And at the cost and difficulty isn’t using Howlrunner or Slone just… better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bucknife said:

It's totally thematic!!

Tarkin does nothing...then walks up to Krennic's achievement and says, "MINE."

Tarkin needs Krennic, period. 

I'm fine with that for now, unless they want to make a Empire-only targeting computer mod that is initiative costed. 

Extreme example:

would you take a targeting computer at anything above ‘free’ on an Alpha Squadron? How much is it worth on Soontir Fel (at least 6 easily)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, drazen90909 said:

Even from the minimal amount of posts I have on here, it can be seen that I play Empire and FO.  For second edition, I was so excited to see Tarkin, as in 1st ed. he was Epic only (which i did not play)

My vent...  with the exception of the Decimator (which is cost prohibitive to put a commander on), there are no Empire crew carriers that have Target Lock.  The result... Tarkin is now forced to be best buddies with Krenic.  From a cannon point of view, this is lame as they pretty much are the opposite of buddies.  From a synergy point of view (outside of Krenic adding the TL which is required) they have no synergy with each other.

I want to run Tarkin without Krenic... Run him with Vader, or a Tac Officer, or something that would be useful, cause his ability could be great.  But nope... just a bromance that no one wanted.

additionally, Tarkin's timing seems to leave something to be desired.  By making it the system phase, it forces the TL acquire to happen in the previous round.  If his ability fired at the beggining of engagement, then that would be awesome!!!!

Sad...

But think of the sitcom potential of two Imperial bigwigs who loathe each other immensely, but are continually forced together by strategic necessity!

'Wilhuff and Orson'...they fight crime Rebels and trade barely-veiled snark!

Coming soon to a holo-channel near you!

Edited by clockworkspider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tarkin on a shuttle with the new passives sensors upgrade will be cool. Also Tarkin can work with the shuttle title. 

However... I’ve not found Tarkin too exciting or effective. Too bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, JBFancourt said:

Tarkin on a shuttle with the new passives sensors upgrade will be cool. Also Tarkin can work with the shuttle title. 

However... I’ve not found Tarkin too exciting or effective. Too bad. 

Too bad you still need Krennic as Tarkin requires having the Target Lock action.

Another dumb restriction. Would it have been so broken with ST-321? It feels like they made that restriction explicitly to disallow 321 shenanigans. But that doesn’t seem overpowered at all.

Edited by millertime059

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, drazen90909 said:

My vent...Tarkin need to be on a ship with a crew slot and the Target Lock Action and his timing seems to leave something to be desired. 

Yeah, the designers hate Tarkin. They designed him into binder fodder in 1.0 and repeated that in 2.0.

8 hours ago, millertime059 said:

Would it have been so broken with ST-321? It feels like they made that restriction explicitly to disallow 321 shenanigans. But that doesn’t seem overpowered at all.

No, heavens no.

It seems the great actor Peter Cushing is not only deceased in life, he is in the game as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, millertime059 said:

Too bad you still need Krennic as Tarkin requires having the Target Lock action.

Another dumb restriction. Would it have been so broken with ST-321? It feels like they made that restriction explicitly to disallow 321 shenanigans. But that doesn’t seem overpowered at all.

I suspect the main reason for the weird timing is to prevent the combo with jendon, which might be a bit strong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thespaceinvader said:

I suspect the main reason for the weird timing is to prevent the combo with jendon, which might be a bit strong.

Isn't a bit strong better than unplayable? Plus, it forces the use of Jendon... and that is, well, just OK?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, clanofwolves said:

Isn't a bit strong better than unplayable? Plus, it forces the use of Jendon... and that is, well, just OK?

Having an entire swarm which doesn't have the lock action, be able to all get locks before engaging would be SUPER strong, probably overly so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, drazen90909 said:

Even from the minimal amount of posts I have on here, it can be seen that I play Empire and FO.  For second edition, I was so excited to see Tarkin, as in 1st ed. he was Epic only (which i did not play)

My vent...  with the exception of the Decimator (which is cost prohibitive to put a commander on), there are no Empire crew carriers that have Target Lock.  The result... Tarkin is now forced to be best buddies with Krenic.  From a cannon point of view, this is lame as they pretty much are the opposite of buddies.  From a synergy point of view (outside of Krenic adding the TL which is required) they have no synergy with each other.

I want to run Tarkin without Krenic... Run him with Vader, or a Tac Officer, or something that would be useful, cause his ability could be great.  But nope... just a bromance that no one wanted.

additionally, Tarkin's timing seems to leave something to be desired.  By making it the system phase, it forces the TL acquire to happen in the previous round.  If his ability fired at the beggining of engagement, then that would be awesome!!!!

Sad...

Either stick him on a Lambda WITH Krennic. Or alone on Decimator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Having an entire swarm which doesn't have the lock action, be able to all get locks before engaging would be SUPER strong, probably overly so.

Jendon is super jank this way. It’s also 56 points minimum with the title. Which could get you max 4 Strikers. Because why would you need this with TIE/ln? Use Howlrunner instead. And on a 2 die primary the single refill is nearly as good. The TL is not very valuable on them.

Which means the next obvious target is Bombers and gunboats, 30+32 respectively. Also 2 die primary, and without any ordinance. Which means that you’re looking at more like 3 ships instead of 4 more. But they have the TL action natively, so just pop a Jendon charge.

Now the TIE/x1 loves Jendon, but with him you absolutely do not need Tarkin shenanigans. Title is plenty. It only really makes sense with multiple ships without the TL.

Interceptors? Same deal as Strikers.

Phantom? Now maybe we’re getting somewhere. But you get max 3, and with 3 at the shuttle price only one can have Juke. Juke Echo + 2 Imdaar is about as potent as this can get. 

Or you could do dance of the space cows, and have 3 more Lambda or Reapers with it. Not good, but perhaps funny?

so to recap. Literally the most broken lists you could make with Jendon Tarkin and ST-321 (if you dropped the Krennic need) are

4 I1 Planetary Sentinels (you could fit Krennic and still run this now)

Echo + 2 Imdaar

4 I1 Alpha Squadron interceptors

3 Lambda/ Reapers

Now of those only really the Phantom one seems all that scary. You could also play with Striker aces, but I was going for max # of ships.

and the flat reality is that the only difference between System phase or Engagement phase with Jendon is that it would require spending both charges. But what is the likelihood of having multiple ships beyond range 3 with all Tarkin charges more than once a game? **** near approaching 0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...