Indy_com

Krennic Article! - Architect of Terror

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Katarn said:

So can Krennic make Vader leg it by using Compel without the suppression being an issue at all?

vader can't get suppression. so compel doesn't work on him

Edited by azeronbloodmoone

26 minutes ago, azeronbloodmoone said:

why not just hyperspace through the space station to destroy it.

Hyperspace engines weren't capable of the huge ship/station destroying bubble until technology advanced after the fall of the Empire. In order to reach Warp 9, some "side effects" made the "bubble of destruction" a thing. many ships choose not to have these advanced drives installed because jumping in poorly timed groups tended to be fatal. 

JK. 

2 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Correct. But if Krennic really has no business being anywhere near the "frontlines" of a match unless entirely unavoidable. Typically I've seen Luke hunt down other higher threat targets, not hunting down backline commanders. I also haven't seen Force Push on Luke very often, in part due to his lack of Master of the Force.

Plus saying a non-melee oriented character/unit dies to Luke, Wookies, Royal Guard, or Vader isn't a huge surprise to be honest. There are ways to reduce/avoid that issue, which of course are not foolproof, but a non-melee unit in melee with a melee oriented unit SHOULD die fairly easily. 

Keeping Krennic away from where the fighting is going on also limits how often he's going to be able to use compel. Throwing on IRG to keep a support unit in the back alive seems like a waste to me as the only thing that Krennic should be getting hit with at all are snipers who already don't do well against units in heavy cover. Why not just throw Krennic behind heavy cover or LOS blocking terrain at that point and save yourself the 75+ points that you would've spent on IRG?

1 minute ago, thepopemobile100 said:

Keeping Krennic away from where the fighting is going on also limits how often he's going to be able to use compel. Throwing on IRG to keep a support unit in the back alive seems like a waste to me as the only thing that Krennic should be getting hit with at all are snipers who already don't do well against units in heavy cover. Why not just throw Krennic behind heavy cover or LOS blocking terrain at that point and save yourself the 75+ points that you would've spent on IRG?

I'm not saying hide him in a corner, but rather that to get to him in melee your opponent should have to go through at least 1-2 other units, (preferably 2 if you are facing a Luke with Force Push) giving you a turn or so to move him to a safer location/otherwise tie up/deal with the melee threat. The IRG is to allow him to move such that his is within Range 2, which means his radius covers roughly 1/6th the battlefield without being shot off the board by units with Range 3-4 weapons. Especially if Compel doesn't require LoS, like many of the other abilities. 

I've seen other "paper" commanders survive until the end of the game, and while they don't have quite as much motivation for targeting them early, I don't see why Krennic should be significantly different. 

9 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

I'm not saying hide him in a corner, but rather that to get to him in melee your opponent should have to go through at least 1-2 other units, (preferably 2 if you are facing a Luke with Force Push) giving you a turn or so to move him to a safer location/otherwise tie up/deal with the melee threat. The IRG is to allow him to move such that his is within Range 2, which means his radius covers roughly 1/6th the battlefield without being shot off the board by units with Range 3-4 weapons. Especially if Compel doesn't require LoS, like many of the other abilities. 

I've seen other "paper" commanders survive until the end of the game, and while they don't have quite as much motivation for targeting them early, I don't see why Krennic should be significantly different. 

Ultimately my reservations about going against Krennic are stemming from a lack of experience against him. Once he hits the tables and we've all played with or against him it'll be easier to gauge if he should be focused down or not. I don't think a lot of lists in the short term are going to have him as the primary commander and IRG in them for now as most players are going to be trying out deathtroopers at the same time with them and IRG probably being a little spendy to have both in one list.

Now that I've had a little time to think about his 3 pip, the less I'm worried about going against it. Making the most out of it requires units to have more than 1 courage for the user which while possible is also very expensive in both point cost and real money. I think it might actually be best to play it early and slow down the bulk of your opponent's force to potentially get to whatever mid objective there is and lock it down.

2 minutes ago, thepopemobile100 said:

I think it might actually be best to play it early and slow down the bulk of your opponent's force to potentially get to whatever mid objective there is and lock it down.

Unless they are running Jyn and/or Pathfinders who want Suppression

I'm super excited to see where this game is at by Worlds at the end of June. I think Adepticon is too close to the release of Jyn and Pathfinders for them to be fully incorporated into lists and Krennic and Deathtroopers most likely won't be legal since I'm assuming that the High Command is a Premier event.

3 minutes ago, NeonWolf said:

Unless they are running Jyn and/or Pathfinders who want Suppression

No plan is ever perfect against every list. I don't think the pathfinders are so much of an issue for that as they may end up routing fairly quickly, but Jyn certainly is.

3 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

You can build your army around Krennic's 3 pip card though, while your opponent does not have that luxury. YEs, if you don't build your army around getting a 1-2 suppression late game, then the 3 pip is not as good. If you have a lot of units with Inspire, Courage 2, or stuff like Compel, then it's a LOT worse for your opponent than it is for you. 

Unless there happens to be another key imperial unit on the horizon, from Rogue One, that will have one or more of those features....

Cough, cough...

Shore Troopers.

14 minutes ago, Taiowaa said:

to counter the 3 pip, do you think Strict Orders would stack if you have it on 2 nearby commanders?

No, because it isn't in the format of KEYWORD X, it specifies that instead of rolling dice you may remove 1 suppression. You can't replace the rolling multiple times. 

2 hours ago, azeronbloodmoone said:

how is her 2 pip abusable? yeah you can change the order to a different unit and her command card will allow that unit to do a speed 1 move instead of that trooper.

its abusable because every single unit with a HQ uplink benefits from it

30 minutes ago, Darth evil said:

its abusable because every single unit with a HQ uplink benefits from it

So slightly less abusable than Veer's 3 Pip card. Again, I don't see too many people spending points to "abuse" a single command card.

1 hour ago, azeronbloodmoone said:

very expensive combo but krennic and palp + snows = 1 unit possible 3 attacks in 1 round.

edit:

4 with the 2 pip card of krennic.

How do you get 4 attacks?

i see:

krennic standy->shoot

pull the strings->steady shot

shoot during activation

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Taiowaa said:

How do you get 4 attacks?

i see:

krennic standy->shoot

pull the strings->steady shot

shoot during activation

Krennic forces the Snowtroopers to complete a Free Move Action with Compel, triggering Relentless, allowing the Snowtroopers to attack a fourth time.

EDIT: nevermind that wouldn't work 

Edited by Caimheul1313

12 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Paper Imperial Commanders are the reason Royal Guards exist though, especially if you add on Esteemed Leader to increase it to Guardian 3, or also have a naked Stormtrooper squad nearby. 

Esteemed Leader only works on Corps, not Special Forces.

We sometimes play 2v2 and now I imagine Vaders Master of Evil combined with Annihilation Looms. Up to 5 Suppression sounds quite nice.

21 hours ago, PhantomFO said:

So let me get this straight: 

The Death Star appears in the sky, and your infantry are going to try and escape the blast on foot?

Nah man, they're just trying to escape to the nearest fridge