Rangor

Polish Aethersprite spoiler

6 hours ago, ThinkingB said:

Yeah and if we're lucky, only half of our ships are going to be at a crooked angle on the stand. But in all seriousness, I was expecting the pdf to leak this morning. If its not available tomorrow, then they severely screwed up launch. TELL PEOPLE ABOUT THE PRODUCT IF YOU WANT THEM TO BUY IT FFG. I DON'T BUY THINGS IF I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M GETTING WITH MY MONEY FFG. 

Nobody forces you to preorder. Wait until after release, and you know exactly what you are getting.

---

That their final release article seems to come very late is a marketing fumble, agreed.

However, them not publishing any point values is intentional and a good thing. It was quite detrimental to 1st edition that when a wave finally physically got released after a loooooooong journey on FFG's infamous "boat", points had been known for months. People had already played everything to death on Vassal, and for most waves already identified the strongest combos, thus cementing the meta already before ships physically on the board. And, thus boredom at release, and the forums cryin gimme more, more...accelerating the release rate and ultimately the power creep.

I enjoy them not showing points. After all there is a reason why we have gift wrapping paper!

A week early I think would be nice to give us an idea what to expect and buy. Would let us make lists to be ready for release.

Also any mistakes in the point releases would have a week to get fixed such as wrong/missing slots.

As someone who fully abused 1.0 releases on Tabletop Simulator, I fully understand why they don’t release the points.  I knew the combinations to play before the ships were even released and whether I wanted to invest or not.  Ships would drop and I would bring a fully fleshed out list that I had already stress tested to a release night and win.

Now imagine you are a new player that had never done that.  “Well, they should get better and at least theory craft.” Or they could actually wait and be excited.

I admit I was a problem during 1.0.  Now I’m going to sit and be excited to unbox my new toys and play with them like it’s Christmas morning knowing nothing of what I can do/build.  It is exciting.

I skipped over a ship or two knowing I wouldn’t buy it because I knew points, now I’m the opposite and actually pre-ordered not knowing; so I am a bit different from y’all.

14 hours ago, PhantomFO said:

Her ability isn't that powerful. You're only downgrading a crit to a hit, or a hit to a focus. It happens in the "Defender modifies" step, so the attacker can still spend a token to convert the eyeball, or reroll with a TL. It's a tweaked version of 1.0's Sensor Jammer, limited by her Force charges and requiring the defender to be outside of the attacker's bullseye arc.

I think you are grossly underestimating the power of her ability.

Sensor Jammer was a potent card in 1.0, and it didn't do anything against crit results.  Importantly, this was back in an era when it was much easier for ships to have active or passive means to convert Focus results (Manaroo, Glitterstim, Expertise, etc.).  Also notably, in 2.0 you've got several ships running around with Calculate instead of Focus, and if they are "forced into" (... get it... the Force...) a second Focus Result on offense it's effectively a blank (noting things with double calculate, like IG88s or Rebeleepio, but at least you're still burning up an additional token if that's beneficial to the rest of your round).  Ships with Force Points can more easily convert that Focus to a Hit, but at the cost of burning a Force Point they wouldn't have to have used... and if their Force Point is more valuable than Luminara's, this could be a worthwhile exchange.  On that note, even a single Focus can force the attack to spend a Focus Token they wouldn't have had to, and if they've got incoming shots later this round, again that could be beneficial.   Also, with the Critical Hit deck being generally nastier in 2.0, the ability to protect against critical damage alone is fantastic.  At the very least, on pretty much all counts, it's better than Sensor Jammer 1.0, and that was a solid card in its era.

Sure, the attacker's Bullseye can shut it down, but that's hard to do. and while it might happen sometimes it won't happen all the time.  And the faction of high Initiative, high mobility, repositional Jedi Aces ought be pretty good at arc-dodging generally.  I mean, if your Aethersprites keep finding themselves in Bullseye Arcs, no pilot abilities in the world could save that level of play.

Pending price-points of everything, I could see Luminara as the favored wingman of other Jedi.

32 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Pending price-points of everything, I could see Luminara as the favored wingman of other Jedi.

There are 2 very solid wingmen type of Jedi pilots. Luminara is great to debuff your opponent's offense against your main Jedi to help keep them alive longer. While Saesee Tinn is a maneuver based wingman to help your higher initiative Jedi pilot move where it needs to be. It will be interesting to see what FFG will price each of these at and going forward which will be more beneficial to a pilot like Anakin or Obi-Wan. There is always the possibility of both, but I'm not convinced they can dish out enough damage to help Anakin make it to a favorable end game. More likely to be either Luminara or Saesee, Wolffe, and Anakin if that can fit. 

Just now, RStan said:

There are 2 very solid wingmen type of Jedi pilots. Luminara is great to debuff your opponent's offense against your main Jedi to help keep them alive longer. While Saesee Tinn is a maneuver based wingman to help your higher initiative Jedi pilot move where it needs to be. It will be interesting to see what FFG will price each of these at and going forward which will be more beneficial to a pilot like Anakin or Obi-Wan. There is always the possibility of both, but I'm not convinced they can dish out enough damage to help Anakin make it to a favorable end game. More likely to be either Luminara or Saesee, Wolffe, and Anakin if that can fit. 

Ahsoka just being AP-5 seems pretty good too.

18 hours ago, kempokid said:

Em. *checks notes* *looks at feet* 

Yeah. Exactly like any other pilot of this craft.

I agree with your original post somewhat.  It's still a good fit.  Calibrated Doobadoo wants bullseye, he want bullseye.  It also makes calibrated a good fit for his wingmen.

18 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Plo is canonically supposed to be the best pilot in the Jedi order IIRC.

The fact that the movie was terrible at depicting that notwithstanding.

(I think this was handwaved with Palpatine was clouding the force preventing anyone noticing the intent of the clones in Legends, FWIW)

I heard Anakin Skywalker was the best star pilot in the galaxy.  And a cunning warrior.

And to be fair to George Lucas' terrible writing, they mentioned the Jedi's clouded vision in Phantom Menace.  It was kinda the point of the whole story.

15 hours ago, ThinkingB said:

So is there just like no Republic hype at all? I'm chomping at the bit for Thursday, but it seems like not a lot of people are talking about this reveal. Is the lack of points killing the hype?

That surely depends what the points turn out to be.  For all we know the lack of points is bolstering the hype right now.

I also am ver' excited to get all my little triangles (and one big triangle for Armada).

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, svelok said:

Ahsoka just being AP-5 seems pretty good too.

I thought about Ahsoka, and yes she has a great ability to support another ship (more so herself actually), but it's a tighter area that she needs to land to use it in a supportive manner. 0-1 vs 0-2 can be a big difference in a wingman Jedi to keep up with a potentially Super Anakin or Obi-Wan. Wording on Ahsoka's ability and Fine Tuned Controls may allow for some tricky way to get her where she needs to be (if you can choose the order of when the trigger), but she'd be using all her charges just to do all that. 

Edited by RStan

15 hours ago, Ximatique said:

The films don't really do justice to their abilities. In TCW you see more Jedis piloting to their true level. Thanks to their force perception and reflexes, an average Jedi is above other pilot. So imagine if said Jedi has a little experience in piloting a ship. Obi-wan may be the best exemple as he always says he hate flying but he managed to survive Jango's attacks in the asteroid field.

Whilst at the same time in TCW random smugglers and bounty hunters frequently get the better of pairs of Jedi Knights on foot.  SMH.

Posted (edited)

48 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Agreed.

Skywalker also looks pretty good, I think no one has cared much here since his ability requires correct planning phase choices, rather than I6 activation phase choices. But keep in mind, he'd LOVE a late activation battle meditation co-ordinate to re-position before he sloops/k-turns.

Edited by imprezagoatee

1 hour ago, mazz0 said:

I agree with your original post somewhat.  It's still a good fit.  Calibrated Doobadoo wants bullseye, he want bullseye.  It also makes calibrated a good fit for his wingmen.

19 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Yeah, it's like Predator on Recoil. 

55 minutes ago, imprezagoatee said:

Agreed.

Skywalker also looks pretty good, I think no one has cared much here since his ability requires correct planning phase choices, rather than I6 activation phase choices. But keep in mind, he'd LOVE a late activation battle meditation co-ordinate to re-position before he sloops/k-turns.

If only there was some way for him to do I6 activation, pre-movement repositioning...

24 minutes ago, ThinkingB said:

If only there was some way for him to do I6 activation, pre-movement repositioning...

If you're talking about supernatural reflexes, I had thought of that. It's a whopping 32 points for Skywalker, it might be good, but I usually prefer putting another ship on the table than loading that heavy on upgrades. Is anyone taking it on Vader still? I don't go to many tournaments so I have no idea.

1 hour ago, imprezagoatee said:

Agreed.

SNR aside--though don't write it off entirely, the points might actually be worth it on him of all people--you've got Palp and SaeSee as options to help him out as well.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, imprezagoatee said:

If you're talking about supernatural reflexes, I had thought of that. It's a whopping 32 points for Skywalker, it might be good, but I usually prefer putting another ship on the table than loading that heavy on upgrades. Is anyone taking it on Vader still? I don't go to many tournaments so I have no idea.

No one is taking it on Vader anymore. However, Vader does not have boost, evade, or an astromech slot, so Anakin in his Aethersprite has more resources to protect the points investment than in his Tie Advanced. Basically, Anakin will nullify Kylo Ren as the premier Supernatural Reflexes carrier and that's about where he will end up; at least for me. The evade action and being able to boost or barrell roll on SN with no consequences is going to be highly effective. Put Darth Sidious in a list with him as well and we're going to have a very strong choice for players who want to fly a beefed up super ace. He's flexible enough to also add or subtract points from his cost due to the combo of configurations, mods, and astromechs.

Edited by ThinkingB

I'm not fully sold on Supernatural Reflexes on Aethersprites, because of how they're ship ability and action bar work.

• SNR is quite potent on TIE/v1, since they can link into a Focus action, and trade their force for 2 actions rather than 1 if they dial in a blue move.
    • I'll say "potent" rather than "good"... SNR v1s haven't torn up the Extended scene, for example, but on paper the effect is strong.
  • SNR is quite potent on Kylo, since Kylo can chain actions with Autothrusters then clear the stress.
  • SNR is quite potent on Luke, because Luke has unlimited force (kinda) but also doesn't have great actual-action economy.

But an Aethersprite, already able to trade force for normal actions, doesn't gain as much.  The "only" think an Aethersprite gets is the ability to boost or barrel roll before moving instead of after.  Now, that's good.  But it's quite expensive.  Other ships are able to leverage SNR more, I think.  Doesn't mean it'll be bad on folks.  But the second force-to-movement-action is almost surely not worth as much as the first.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, PaulRuddSays said:

The English version of this has to be coming out today, right? It would be silly for the last preview to come out the Wednesday afternoon before a Thursday morning release...

You would think, but between Legion, Armada and such, FFG has made a article on the day of release so...

Edited by KiraYamatoSF

1 minute ago, KiraYamatoSF said:

You would think, but between Legion, Armada and such, FFG has made a article on the day of release so...

Whenever my employer royally goofs on something, I always tell myself that all our competitors are just as bad... I guess I need to remind myself that other industries are also bad. 

On 3/18/2019 at 11:40 AM, Green Squadron 3 said:

Well Anakin reads if you execute a red manover and there is a ship at range 0-1 inside your firing arc or your bullseye firinyg arc you may spend 1 Force to remove one stress token

This translation seems wrong. The anakin card shows the front arc and bullseye arc symbols. When is a ship in your bullseye arc and not your front arc?