Rangor

Polish Aethersprite spoiler

21 minutes ago, KiraYamatoSF said:

It depends if the configs are baked into the cost of the Aether

They shouldn’t be. They at least implied on stream that 7B is more expensive but Calibrated Targeting still has a cost. 

12 minutes ago, KiraYamatoSF said:

Eh unfortunately I don't think so. There are 3 astros in the pack from what we see in the spread. One is R2 Astromech, another is R2-C4, and one more who looks like he uses the same art as R2-D6 from first edition. Thing is the name doesn't seem to be the same, but I could be wrong.

Sorry, not the spread from the English article. There was a picture from the French(?) spoiler that with the card I’m talking about.

31 minutes ago, kempokid said:

Calibrated Laser Targeting is pretty much an auto-include on Bariss. Adding a focus to your bullseye attack then getting to spend a force to change it to a crit hit.

So, em, working exactly like on any other pilot of this craft? 

6 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Once Ric comes out we'll have 4.  Until then, one less than even the Resistance.

But if the competitive format is largely Hyperspace, compare apples to apples.

Resistance is the “Ace faction” so they’ll have the most.

Empire has, what, 3? (Duchess, Marek and Howly). Maybe more ties?

FO has 3 i5 - Kylo/Blackout/Malarus.

Seems Republic is doing just fine with i5 options.

1 hour ago, Rangor said:

Luminara Unduli.  I4.  2 Force.  When a friendly ship at range 0-2 defends, if it is not in the attacker's [bullseye], you may spend 1 [force].  If you do, change 1 [crit] to a [hit] or 1 [hit] to a [focus].

Bariss is exactly the opposite: I4 1 Force.

When a friendly ship at range 0-2 attacks and the defender is in its bullseye arc, you may spend 1 [force]. If you do, change one [focus] to a [hit] or one [hit] to a [crit].

Hmm, I assume Unduli will cost at least twice as much as Bariss.  Unduli's ability is much more powerful and much easier to trigger (being out of Bullseye Arcs is far more likely than being in them).  She also has 2FP versus Bariss' single point.

11 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

If 'jedi starfighter pilots' aren't supposed to be able to be aces something has gone super wrong with the faction flavouring HTH

1 minute ago, thespaceinvader said:

If 'jedi starfighter pilots' aren't supposed to be able to be aces something has gone super wrong with the faction flavouring HTH

I mean, to be fair, Jedi don't appear to be great pilots in the films.  Plo Koon gets instantly destroyed by his wingmen, never sensing their betrayal.  Obi-Wan gets bested by Jango's Slave-1.  Later, Obi-Wan gets his ship wrecked by some roger-roger buzz droids.  And these are the Faction's I5 Pilots... aces, they are not.

Plo is canonically supposed to be the best pilot in the Jedi order IIRC.

The fact that the movie was terrible at depicting that notwithstanding.

(I think this was handwaved with Palpatine was clouding the force preventing anyone noticing the intent of the clones in Legends, FWIW)

2 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Plo is canonically supposed to be the best pilot in the Jedi order IIRC.

The fact that the movie was terrible at depicting that notwithstanding.

(I think this was handwaved with Palpatine was clouding the force preventing anyone noticing the intent of the clones in Legends, FWIW)

I thought Saesee Tiin was claimed to be the best non-Anakin pilot in the Jedi order.

2 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Hmm, I assume Unduli will cost at least twice as much as Bariss.  Unduli's ability is much more powerful and much easier to trigger (being out of Bullseye Arcs is far more likely than being in them).  She also has 2FP versus Bariss' single point.

Her ability isn't that powerful. You're only downgrading a crit to a hit, or a hit to a focus. It happens in the "Defender modifies" step, so the attacker can still spend a token to convert the eyeball, or reroll with a TL. It's a tweaked version of 1.0's Sensor Jammer, limited by her Force charges and requiring the defender to be outside of the attacker's bullseye arc.

So is there just like no Republic hype at all? I'm chomping at the bit for Thursday, but it seems like not a lot of people are talking about this reveal. Is the lack of points killing the hype?

Just now, ThinkingB said:

So is there just like no Republic hype at all? I'm chomping at the bit for Thursday, but it seems like not a lot of people are talking about this reveal. Is the lack of points killing the hype?

Comparatively little of it is known for sure as it's not in English, and there aren't points, plus a lot of places aren't getting the full wave on Weds :(

2 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

I mean, to be fair, Jedi don't appear to be great pilots in the films.  Plo Koon gets instantly destroyed by his wingmen, never sensing their betrayal.  Obi-Wan gets bested by Jango's Slave-1.  Later, Obi-Wan gets his ship wrecked by some roger-roger buzz droids.  And these are the Faction's I5 Pilots... aces, they are not.

The films don't really do justice to their abilities. In TCW you see more Jedis piloting to their true level. Thanks to their force perception and reflexes, an average Jedi is above other pilot. So imagine if said Jedi has a little experience in piloting a ship. Obi-wan may be the best exemple as he always says he hate flying but he managed to survive Jango's attacks in the asteroid field.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Ximatique said:

The films don't really do justice to their abilities. In TCW you see more Jedis piloting to their true level. Thanks to their force perception and reflexes, an average Jedi is above other pilot. So imagine if said Jedi has a little experience in piloting a ship. Obi-wan may be the best exemple as he always says he hate flying but he managed to survive Jango's attacks in the asteroid field.

And he has to keep up with Anakin and bail him out of trouble all the time. And also having to deal with all his insane plans.

Poor guy...

But yeah, he does seem like a good pilot.

Edited by KiraYamatoSF

1 minute ago, thespaceinvader said:

Comparatively little of it is known for sure as it's not in English, and there aren't points, plus a lot of places aren't getting the full wave on Weds :(

Yeah I know I'm probably the resident cynic around here, but it really feels like FFG is kind of fumbling this release. They made a mistake by not dropping points or revealing these guys sooner.  I assume this article will drop tomorrow, but that does not feel like enough time for fence-sitters to decide what they want to get. I know FFG would never want to admit this, but a lot of players (including myself) typically won't buy a ship until we've proxied it on the table before release.  If I wasn't ANAKIN!!!! hype, I probably wouldn't pick this up and it seems like a lot of people are just going to sit and wait with this. I bet there would be a greater amount of republic preorders if Anakin was revealed as early as Darth Maul was. Oddly enough, people want to know about the product that they intend to purchase.

Honestly, I find it hard to disagree.  The points and rules update I'm not surprised by (points only went up the day of release last time), but having the final article only going up during the run-up week to release is pretty unusually poor for them.

I suspect they've had some major logistics issues.

12 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Honestly, I find it hard to disagree.  The points and rules update I'm not surprised by (points only went up the day of release last time), but having the final article only going up during the run-up week to release is pretty unusually poor for them.

I suspect they've had some major logistics issues.

Yeah and if we're lucky, only half of our ships are going to be at a crooked angle on the stand. But in all seriousness, I was expecting the pdf to leak this morning. If its not available tomorrow, then they severely screwed up launch. TELL PEOPLE ABOUT THE PRODUCT IF YOU WANT THEM TO BUY IT FFG. I DON'T BUY THINGS IF I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M GETTING WITH MY MONEY FFG. 

12 minutes ago, ThinkingB said:

Yeah and if we're lucky, only half of our ships are going to be at a crooked angle on the stand. But in all seriousness, I was expecting the pdf to leak this morning. If its not available tomorrow, then they severely screwed up launch. TELL PEOPLE ABOUT THE PRODUCT IF YOU WANT THEM TO BUY IT FFG. I DON'T BUY THINGS IF I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M GETTING WITH MY MONEY FFG. 

Unfortunately they said in the stream that points would drop on Thursday, so unless FFG screws up on their website we gotta wait til then.

I am excited for the Republic but I have no idea what squads I can actually make.

2 hours ago, ThinkingB said:

Yeah I know I'm probably the resident cynic around here, but it really feels like FFG is kind of fumbling this release. They made a mistake by not dropping points or revealing these guys sooner.  I assume this article will drop tomorrow, but that does not feel like enough time for fence-sitters to decide what they want to get. I know FFG would never want to admit this, but a lot of players (including myself) typically won't buy a ship until we've proxied it on the table before release.  If I wasn't ANAKIN!!!! hype, I probably wouldn't pick this up and it seems like a lot of people are just going to sit and wait with this. I bet there would be a greater amount of republic preorders if Anakin was revealed as early as Darth Maul was. Oddly enough, people want to know about the product that they intend to purchase.

FFG hasn't released points early aside from the first wave, Wave 2 released 'early' for us since it came out in the UK early. I do wish they'd go ahead and show us threat builds to at least give a general idea, since that could help show how many of a ship you might want to get out the gate for people planning to preorder. 

5 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

Obligatory “Forgot Scourge for empire.”