Kalandros

A fundamental flaw in these games.

11 hours ago, Indy_com said:

Barricades are the "we just threw it in" terrain that everyone just kind expects to be there anyway.

Pretty much every major firefight in Star Wars has a random barricade somewhere at some point.

I think barricades are nice way to provide free cover to new people. Add a roll of tan felt, a few circles of brown felt for rough terrain and a few upside down plastic tubs as LOS blocking buildings and you are done. 

I usually put my barricades in little rows next to my vaporator and desert igloo. Then they look like SW farm fences. 

On 3/19/2019 at 2:37 AM, TylerTT said:

Is this an accurate summary of the op’s issue 

Why have cool toys we don’t play with?

Maybe cause some of us play with what we want rather than just what’s good. Personally, I always include 1 HH-12 since it looks actual sick on some elevated terrain firing down on an at-rt.

22 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

For me, the hobby is not necessarily first, but it is utterly inextricable. I won't field an unpainted model, no matter what. I won't field a model with its arm snapped off. But I am pretty much the only scifi/fantasy gamer I know around here who holds themselves to that. Now historical is a different story, those guys paint their stuff. Legion, oddly, also is mostly painted in store play from what I've seen.

Now I certainly see your points her, but I wonder if you’d consider an alternative perspective. 

I try to paint my minis, but it will be a long, long time before I’m ever done. There are reasons for this: I’m a slow painter, I have legion, historical Vikings, and historical samurai to get through, I have two young children, and other factors. Point is I’m slow, but I try. I even feel I do a fair job on them. But I’m slow.

In the end, I would not likely be able to field a playable army by your standards for probably a couple more years. Thing is, when the day is done I enjoy both the hobby and game aspect. If I can’t do one without the other, then there’s a problem. In the end I enjoy the game too! So yeah, I’ll play with unpainted minis (though they will definitely be assembled properly).

now that said, we have no flgs within 4 hours driving and I mostly play my stuff with my students at our school club. Maybe if there was a more official venue I’d care more.

Am I happy I’m slow to paint? No, it bothers me terribly. But I’d never play if I wasn’t ok fielding unpainted stuff.

I’m also the sort that brings the random heavy weapon because that’s what my guys would do, too. And my sca kit is excellent thank you 😆

Edited by Varulfr

21 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

For me, the hobby is not necessarily first, but it is utterly inextricable. I won't field an unpainted model, no matter what. I won't field a model with its arm snapped off. But I am pretty much the only scifi/fantasy gamer I know around here who holds themselves to that. Now historical is a different story, those guys paint their stuff. Legion, oddly, also is mostly painted in store play from what I've seen.

If you have a model with an arm snapped off maybe you could reattach the arm with superglue and model around it to make it look like a cast/splint. If you can find the arm maybe you could make it look like an amputation (If you can have an amputee in battlefield V you can have one here). I don’t know if you really do have a mini without an arm but I’m trying to help out if you do.

1 hour ago, Jabby said:

If you have a model with an arm snapped off maybe you could reattach the arm with superglue and model around it to make it look like a cast/splint. If you can find the arm maybe you could make it look like an amputation (If you can have an amputee in battlefield V you can have one here). I don’t know if you really do have a mini without an arm but I’m trying to help out if you do.

No I don't thanks. I'm talking about the horrors of eBay armies. "As long as everyone can tell what it is..."

Edited by TauntaunScout

2 hours ago, Varulfr said:

Now I certainly see your points her, but I wonder if you’d consider an alternative perspective. 

I try to paint my minis, but it will be a long, long time before I’m ever done. There are reasons for this: I’m a slow painter,I have legion, historicL  Vikings, and historical samurai to get through, I have two young children, and other factors. Point is I’m slow, but I try. I even feel I do a fair job on them. But I’m slow.

In the end, I would not likely be able to field a playable army by your standards for probably a couple more years.

It's the view of 90% or so of scifi/fantasy wargamers, it's unavoidable. I've been considering that perspective for 20 years.

I can't draw a straight line with a ruler, I have kids, and am spread out across multiple games. But somehow my stuff gets painted. If my [new faction] isn't painted I only use [old faction] until it is. If my figures for [new game] aren't painted I only play [old game] until they are. Plus if I have time to play, I can just spend that time painting instead, until an army is done. Once I stopped making excuses, my stuff got painted. Playing with unpainted stuff defeats the purpose (and expense) of the genre, I'd just play bookshelf wargames instead.

A Legion army is like 40 figures. A couple years is over 18 days to paint each figure.

If you plan a little before you paint, I put forth that a nice looking Legion army can be painted in a month. Even if you have small kids. Without small kids it could be done in a weekend of binge painting.

Darth Vader and an AT-ST can be done in, oh, twenty minutes apiece? And account for over half an army. And once you have 800 points you can swear off unpainted models forever. Doesn't matter how long it takes me to paint more stuff once I have enough stuff. Two core sets, Chewie and Boba Fett oughtn't take more than a month if I choose painting over other discretionary uses of time, and do stuff like take 5 minutes to apply a wash to a squad before bed so it's dry in the morning, etc. Two core sets and two heroes, that's two 800 point armies.

They don't have to be perfect, paint them all to a basic standard and if I have time, add more details, more highlighting, etc. later if that's important. It's better to game for a few years with a basic paintjob, than to spend a few years never quite getting there and then when I almost do, I've moved on from the game anyways.

I’m also the sort that brings the random heavy weapon because that’s what my guys would do, too.

Excellent... your journey towards the RPG side is complete.

Here's a great video for squads of rebels if you batch-paint 7 at a time... Not counting assembly (which all people must do) I did a squad of 7 of these Hoth guys in 44 minutes of brush time once. That included time to mix my own washes up and mix grey paint from black and white.

And here's "my standard". I consider all models better or worse than the below. Not like we can tell the difference between these and well shaded/detailed models during games anyways. From a couple feet away it's all the same.

hj0r1Ja.jpg

Edited by TauntaunScout

13 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

It's the view of 90% or so of scifi/fantasy wargamers, it's unavoidable. I've been considering that perspective for 20 years.

I can't draw a straight line with a ruler, I have kids, and am spread out across multiple games. But somehow my stuff gets painted. If my [new faction] isn't painted I only use [old faction] until it is. If my figures for [new game] aren't painted I only play [old game] until they are. Plus if I have time to play, I can just spend that time painting instead, until an army is done. Once I stopped making excuses, my stuff got painted. Playing with unpainted stuff defeats the purpose (and expense) of the genre, I'd just play bookshelf wargames instead.

A Legion army is like 40 figures. A couple years is over 18 days to paint each figure.

If you plan a little before you paint, I put forth that a nice looking Legion army can be painted in a month. Even if you have small kids. Without small kids it could be done in a weekend of binge painting.

Darth Vader and an AT-ST can be done in, oh, twenty minutes apiece? And account for over half an army. And once you have 800 points you can swear off unpainted models forever. Doesn't matter how long it takes me to paint more stuff once I have enough stuff. Two core sets, Chewie and Boba Fett oughtn't take more than a month if I choose painting over other discretionary uses of time, and do stuff like take 5 minutes to apply a wash to a squad before bed so it's dry in the morning, etc. Two core sets and two heroes, that's two 800 point armies.

They don't have to be perfect, paint them all to a basic standard and if I have time, add more details, more highlighting, etc. later if that's important. It's better to game for a few years with a basic paintjob, than to spend a few years never quite getting there and then when I almost do, I've moved on from the game anyways.

Excellent... your journey towards the RPG side is complete.

Here's a great video for squads of rebels if you batch-paint 7 at a time... Not counting assembly (which all people must do) I did a squad of 7 of these Hoth guys in 44 minutes of brush time once. That included time to mix my own washes up and mix grey paint from black and white.

And here's "my standard". I consider all models better or worse than the below. Not like we can tell the difference between these and well shaded/detailed models during games anyways. From a couple feet away it's all the same.

hj0r1Ja.jpg

Wow this is great. Such art!