Cpt.Kirk006

Hyperspace 4 Yise guys

Planning on bring a list to an upcoming Hyperspace and would like the community's thoughts and advice.

Total points is 200.

Grey Squadron Bomber

Ion Cannon Turret

Vet Turret Gunner

Proximity mines

Hull Upgrade

Grey Squadron Bomber

Ion Cannon Turret

Vet Turret Gunner

R-4 astromech

Shield upgrade 

Seismic Charges

Grey Squadron Bomber

Ion Cannon Turret

Vet Turret Gunner

R-4 astromech

Shield upgrade 

Proton Bombs

Grey Squadron Bomber

Ion Cannon Turret

Vet Turret Gunner

R-4 astromech

Shield upgrade 

Proton Bombs

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and advice.

I have play tested it once and tabled Vader plus inferno squad. at the loss of one y-wing and half damage to a second y-wing.

I think you're caught awkwardly between two stools because of all the upgrades you're using.

I think 5 Grey Squadrons without all the upgrades is probably better than this, but if you want to run 4 Y-Wings not 5 then the ace abilities of Norra & Dutch in particular are well worth taking over some of those upgrades too.  We took 4 Ys and gradually boiled it down and down and down until we wound up only using 1 or 2.

@ Ceilican first of all thank you.

5 Greys without the upgrades is good and Meta. I also agree that Dutch in particular is good. I was not/am not looking at boiling down the list to using one or two y-wings and did not want to fly the 5 y-wing Meta of 4 Y's with Ion+VTG and 1 Y with Ion. My thought was to build off the list and incorporate Bombs and Mines for additional control and damage outside of engagement phase while hopefully putting to use ion as control for bomb placement in following activation phase/s. 

In the test game the list above only put minimal damage about 4 hits total two of them being Ion turret that put a damage plus one ion token each. The Proton bombs and Seismic charges did all of the work basically putting all the rest of the damage on Vader and Inferno sqd. laying them to rest and giving me the win.

Again the question do you and or others in the community think the list could be improved upon (short of making it the 5 y-wing meta) and if it has hyperspace potential?

Looking forward to further responses, good, bad or ugly.

Captain, I think you might be running a bit heavy at 204 points:

Gray Squadron Bomber (31)
Ion Cannon Turret (4)
Hull Upgrade (3)
Proximity Mines (6)
Veteran Turret Gunner (6)

Ion Cannon Turret (4)
R4 Astromech (2)
Shield Upgrade (4)
Seismic Charges (3)

Ion Cannon Turret (4)
R4 Astromech (2)
Shield Upgrade (4)
Proton Bombs (5)

Ion Cannon Turret (4)
R4 Astromech (2)
Shield Upgrade (4)
Proton Bombs (5)
Total: 204

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

--------------------------------------

Having said that, I prefer going up to a Gold Squadron Veteran so I could have a higher Initiative vs other Grey Y-wing lists that are spamming vet gunner/ion.

Bombs seem to be the thrust of your play style from what you described. Are the turrets & gunners there more as a deterrent?

Force.

My mistake in typing the original post with cut and paste. Thanks for catching my typo. The second Grey squadron bomber with the proton bombs does not have the shield upgrade so the list is running at exactly 200 points (correction below)

Ion Cannon Turret (4)
Hull Upgrade (3)
Proximity Mines (6)

Ion Cannon Turret (4)
R4 Astromech (2)
Shield Upgrade (4)
Seismic Charges (3)

Ion Cannon Turret (4)
R4 Astromech (2)
Shield Upgrade (4)
Proton Bombs (5)

Ion Cannon Turret (4)
R4 Astromech (2)
Proton Bombs (5)
Total: 200

The bombs/mines are not the thrust per see and the turrets +VTG are also not just a deterrent. They work quite well together. VTG +Ion can force control movement which helps out setting up movement for myself and setting up follow on shots. This also helps determine bomb/mine drops. The bombs/mines just by whit of being equipped forces the other players hand slightly with there own movement which provides me with another control element. Topping that off the Greys probably will not be initiative killing however bombs/mines go off and or are triggered during or at the end of the activation phase and this can lead to a kill or multiple kills before the opponents ships start their engagement phase.   

2 hours ago, Cpt.Kirk006 said:

@ Ceilican first of all thank you.

5 Greys without the upgrades is good and Meta. I also agree that Dutch in particular is good. I was not/am not looking at boiling down the list to using one or two y-wings and did not want to fly the 5 y-wing Meta of 4 Y's with Ion+VTG and 1 Y with Ion. My thought was to build off the list and incorporate Bombs and Mines for additional control and damage outside of engagement phase while hopefully putting to use ion as control for bomb placement in following activation phase/s. 

In the test game the list above only put minimal damage about 4 hits total two of them being Ion turret that put a damage plus one ion token each. The Proton bombs and Seismic charges did all of the work basically putting all the rest of the damage on Vader and Inferno sqd. laying them to rest and giving me the win.

Again the question do you and or others in the community think the list could be improved upon (short of making it the 5 y-wing meta) and if it has hyperspace potential?

Looking forward to further responses, good, bad or ugly.

Cool, ok... never know where somebody is up to when you first start talking to them - you may never have heard of 5Ys!

We ran Dutch/Norra/Horton/Magva for a while because all those abilities are strong and I'd recommend taking a good look at those.  I'd also recommend looking at what you can trim back in order to get up to Gold Squadrons and can strike early against Greys.  Something like Norra/Dutch/Gold/Gold should bring you in with enough points for some upgrades.

I played against something like your squad when former system open/national champ Tom Reed ran 4x Gold against me with loads of bombs & upgrades.  The consensus we reached was it was worse than 5Ys (I was 5Ys and definitely bossed the matchup) and that the pilot abilities on the aces were worth their money.

And yes, it has Hyperspace potential.  Pretty much any Rebel list has.  IMHO too many upgrades you won't get full value from (2 bombs is probably plenty) and not enough tactical variety, but its still going to do work.

Ceilican,

thanks for the advice. I will look into the upgrade to golds as well as the Dutch/Nora/Horton/Magva with possibly Leila on board. Both are good options. Nice to hear your feedback on how a similar list as mine played out against 5 y-Wing meta and that the meta was stronger. It is just that I donot want to play meta to win I am looking to bring something new and exciting to the table and maybe influence the meta/change it up a bit. I will look into fine tuning the potential in my list and not secumbing to the 5 y meta.

Boba Fatt,

4y's/5y's my list is not the same who is running bombs/mines in Y wings in the form above consistently? I can not find such a list in list fortress or know of others using bombs/mines in heavy numbers whether or not they are using Y-Wings or other such carriers. Far from boring yet effective. When you can drop 2 protons and one seismic catching 4 ships within two of the bombs radius while 3 ships were in all 3 of the bombs radius is impressive and devastating. This nocked out Vader, Del Meko, Syn Marna, and Iden in one round, bonus was that they did not even get to fire at me. You have got to fly the list to get the bombs to work and that is not easy. In my opinion anything other than boring. It is not 1 forward to victory. If I wanted to fly the meta that I know works I would not have asked about the above list.

to all thank you sincerely for your advice and comments I will take all of it into consideration and am looking forward to any other insights if you may. Good luck in you store games, hyperspace trial/cups and system opens and or you casual games.

4 Gold Ys with proton bombs is another meta list. Its been tops numerous times. Uwing with 3 ywings is a meta list also, many people fly it (just faced it this weekend with two having proton bombs and 1 having seismic), or swap one ywing for Biggs or Wedge. You arent changing anything or bringing anything fresh.

That said, this is hyperspace and with only 4/5 ships to choose from per faction and then with less and less upgrades. If you fly a ywing, your only choice of turret is an ion turret. FFG isnt exactly making it hard to build lists these days. They basically build themselves. Theres not going to be a huge variation of top lists per faction.

The double tap 4 or 5 Ywings are just considered negative play experience for all involved and so is looked down upon and most will be rooting against you to lose because they dont want to face it, and dont want to see NPE lists be successful.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, wurms said:

4 Gold Ys with proton bombs is another meta list. Its been tops numerous times. Uwing with 3 ywings is a meta list also, many people fly it (just faced it this weekend with two having proton bombs and 1 having seismic), or swap one ywing for Biggs or Wedge. You arent changing anything or bringing anything fresh.

Wurms,

Thank you for your response. I stand corrected. It has been awhile since I last looked at List Fortress. I took a new look at it again a few moments ago and yeah my list is pretty Meta. So I will just have to go back to the drawing board and try to find something less Meta like that is competitive If not I may be stuck with a Meta list for an upcoming Hyperspace trail in May. Will just have to wait and see what the new wave brings to table if all else fails. I understand the constraints of hyperspace and the variation limits of competitive lists in that format. IMHO it is not always just having a good list as good lists can be beat by superb flying. 

Thanks again for your advice and correcting me.

Live long and UHHH what, may the force be with you.

Edited by Cpt.Kirk006
Spelling error

Another version of this that I've seen be very effective is:

Gray w/ Ion cannon turret, R3, Proton torpedo X4

Establishing two target locks means they can fire a torp, K turn behind you, and then fire the second torp.

It can be hard to deal with.

@Cpt.Kirk006

I like to try and make my lists one of a kind too--because like everybody else, I'm a unique snowflake--but the reality is, there are only so many combinations that are good, Especially in Hyperspace.

Flying with a Hyperspace list with limited ships, limited upgrades, limited everything, the odds of a person creating a unique meta-defining list is not very good. The way to distinguish yourself is with your flying and leveraging your skills into wins.

HOWEVER, the best time to make a mark is just a few days away with the new factions. Every time new content is released, the meta gets jumbled and old lists lose their luster or potency. 

More than anything, try and have fun; don't lose sight of that.

@Force Majeure

I fully agree with the whole content of your last reply. I am of course looking forward to the new factions. I almost always  have fun otherwise I would need a new hobby it is not like X-Wing pays the bills around my house.